Lyliah's Response Paper

Lyliah R., Christina S., Shannon M., Xiuying Y., Haiyan C., and Xinjia L.
Lyliah R.

Lyliah's Response Paper

Post by Lyliah R. »

Chapter 3 Response Paper: Individual Differences in L2 Learning

There are many factors that influence an individual’s ability to learn a second language, many of which I wasn’t aware of before reading the textbook How Languages are Learned. Being an English as a Second Language speaker, I went through the process of learning another language and I still am, but it never occurred to me that social factors such as power relationships between languages could have any influence on language learning success.
When considering and explaining the different factors that can affect Second Language learning, one of the factors Lightbown and Spada mention is personality and they explore the existent research about it. I have often heard from other people that being an extrovert helps in your language learning process and I was always skeptical about it. I am an introvert, I usually prefer to be quiet and listen in most social situations, and that personality trait has never hindered my language learning abilities. I was glad to learn through the textbook that that claim is not entirely supported by research.
I also felt compelled to reflect on my willingness to communicate (WTC) in my second language and how that is affected by the context I am in. I have never been a person that volunteers to speak up in class, but I usually do that in my native language when I notice that no one else is willing to answer the question that was posed or offer their perspective on an issue, for example. When it comes to situations in which I have to speak my second language, however, it is very rare for me to speak up in the same class situations that I would have if my native language was being spoken. Since this is something I hadn’t noticed before, I am not sure of what are the exact reasons for my different behavior in such similar situations, but I mostly attribute my unwillingness to communicate in my second language to anxiety.
The authors also talk about the relationship between language learning and the attitudes and motivation of the learner. Both factors can affect the learning experience and I believe my experience with learning Spanish illustrates that. I had mandatory Spanish classes in school since I was twelve years old, mostly because Portuguese, my native language, and Spanish are very similar languages and living in Brazil there is a strong possibility that one could be in contact with a native Spanish speaker from South America. I never liked the language and never valued learning it because I always felt I could communicate fairly well with Spanish speakers just by speaking Portuguese. Now, eleven years later, I am still learning the language and I don’t think I made much progress in the learning process.
The reading made me realize that several of the variables associated with success (or not) were present, and still are, in my language learning process and I had never even noticed how much they affected my second and foreign language learning. It will be helpful to pay attention to these factors as I move forward in language learning so I will be able to make the possible changes to make the process better and make me a more efficient and better language learner.

Discussion questions:
What factors did you notice that have affected your language learning process the most?
How big of a role do you believe the context the language learner is in plays in the learning process?
Attachments
Lyliah's Response Paper.docx
(19.38 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
Haiyan C.

Re: Lyliah's Response Paper

Post by Haiyan C. »

Hi Lyliah,
I am very glad to answer the question you asked. The first question, in my personal foreign language learning experience, I found that emotional factors play a big role. In my opinion, emotional factors include learning motivation, learning attitude, and learning interest.I interested in English initially, but it gradually eroded in the dull traditional English teaching mode. In addition, because my English foundation is relatively weak,so I generated the fear of difficulty, which to a certain extent also led to my lack of confidence in learning English. Lack of confidence and fear of difficult resulted in my little time in learning English, and the difficulties I encountered are more naturally, so it formed a vicious circle .
The next question, the main function of English is communication. Therefore, English learning is essentially to develop the ability to use context to communicate in English. Traditional English teaching often overlooks the use of context. However, context is vital in language learning. For example, context helps to judge and learn English polysemous words, helps to understand the content of the text, and helps to understand the implied or irony of English discourse.So, in a word, I think context contributes greatlyto language learning.
These are my answers, hope these could work .
Xiuying Y.

Post by Xiuying Y. »

Thank you for your questions, maybe I can also share some my thoughts with you.

For the first question, I also think the most affected factor is interest. Let us do an assumption. If a couple sparked their children's interest in English, encouraged them do daily English practice, helped them love the habit of daily practicing English, maybe everyone of us can anticipate how outstanding achievement the children can make. And as the Chinese saying goes,Interest is the best teacher. I do not believe a person who is interested in English, but he refuse to take time to learn English well. Just as everyone likes watching TV and likes to confess to it. Same English.

And for the second discussion question,as a English major. I believe that English as a kind of language which was served as communication and expression, and any language is not a simple language,which go togather with their cunteries. For the same reason, I thought the contest play a very big role when we are learning process.

That is all my personal opinion, I am very happy if there is anything you want to add and share, thank you again!
Xinjia L.

Post by Xinjia L. »

Hi, Lyliah!

I used to have the same experience with you. I didn't dare to speak with strangers, and was more nervous to speak in English. I even though the proficiency of everyone's English is better than me. However, things changed gradually. I found it would not promote my English if I insisted be that way as a English learner. I began to take part in English corner, and speak to other people. Speaking to people whose mother tongue is English is a really practical way to promote my English. So, I will invite some foreigner to have meal with me, and talk at the same time.