Julia's Response Paper

Julia B., Jessica H., Chelsea R., Quihui P., Lilin X., and Ruotong Z.
Julia B.

Julia's Response Paper

Post by Julia B. »

Hi Everyone!

I have attached my response paper. Can't wait to read everyone else's papers!
Attachments
Response Paper_Julia.docx
(19.33 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
Lilin X.

Re: Julia's Response Paper

Post by Lilin X. »

Hi Julia,

I'm so delighted to read your paper. I realize many details about gender marked terms in our daily life. To be honest, I never paid attention to special phenomenon because we are used to live in normalized social. Maybe we are limited by the inertial thinking.We take these marked terms of gender for granted. From your passage, I have the deep thought about this interesting topic.

Some people deem female marked terms are even needed if the male term includes both sexes. And in your opinion, in an evolving society that is pushing for equality. Actually, I agree with you. Some words that describe female character express the slight discrimination in modern time. Also, gender inequality is reflected in our life. Maybe eliminate the marked terms is a good choice to close to equality.

You ask if eliminating female marked terms such as ‘hostess’ or ‘actress’ would bring us closer to equality in linguistics? I agree with this opinion actually. I can combine my own experience to discuss this idea. My cousin is a screenwriter. She usually remains on the set. Actually, many actresses are more diligent than actors, and their jobs are more difficult than actors. However, when they attend the award ceremony, sponsor will choose the best actor and the best actress. Seldom do they choose the top one from whole group.I think actresses also can be called actors, because this job is equal in order to show a wonderful drama to audiences.

Thinking from different conditions, I consider the marked terms may eliminate in individual. However, nowadays these terms should exist in public places to maintain the social order. For instance, a shower, a restroom and a changing room should be clearly marked. If we know a female scientist is awarded the Nobel Prize, girls are eager to be a successful woman like her in the future. At that time, people will fill proud of their gender.
Again, I really enjoy reading your paper, and I broaden my horizons from your paper!
Ruotong Z.

Re: Julia's Response Paper

Post by Ruotong Z. »

Hey, Julia!
Knowing that you submit your response paper, I can't wait to read it!

After looking through your paper, I knew some linguistics differences between man and woman. In fact, I did experience these differences. I felt that is very unfair for me, or for us, we momen.

A word is supposed to have the same meaning, but when the two sexes use different words, the woman is usually the one who is belittled. This is probably because ancient people thought that men had a higher status. Indeed, in ancient times, the prosperity of a family depends on its labor force -- that is, the power of men. Women symbolize weakness. So in China, there are still many older generation thinks that it is better to have a boy than a girl. This is a very common phenomenon but no one want to change it. Although this phenomenon has been alleviated a lot, its impact is far-reaching. For example, men can find more jobs than women. In a way I think this is similar to the question you raised, so I feel the same way.

I think the elimination of female-tagged words like hostess or actress would bring us closer to linguistic equality. For a long time, words labeled by women have given people, especially women, a bad feeling. Why do these words have to exist? Why give them( words) the chance to hurt women? So it's necessary to eliminate them. At the same time, I think these words labeled by women have some discriminating meanings to some extent. Like you said bachelor and spinster. Women are devalued when they are words with similar meanings. That's how unfair these words are.

About your second, I don't quite understand. Could you give more details or explanation?

Very glad to read your paper!