Paige's Response Paper

Kelly S., Paige W., Mariah L., Xianxing Y., Rong S., and Jiahui W.
Paige W.

Paige's Response Paper

Post by Paige W. »

Hi Everyone!

Attached is my response paper! Hope you enjoy and can't wait to read all of your essays!
Attachments
Response Exchange Paper .docx
(17.03 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Jiahui W.

Re: Paige's Response Paper

Post by Jiahui W. »

The author wrote the article basing on Language, Society and Power: an Introduction by Annabelle Mooney and Betsy Evans.The work is closely related to this book. The author expressed her own attitude towards some of the viewpoints in the book, some are in favor and some are against.Relate some of the detailed examples in the book to her own real life.At the same time, the author stated her views and clear attitude towards "gender" and "gender discrimination" with personal experiences.
The Response of Discussion Questions:
1.I recognize marked terms as being neutral before reading. In life, most of words can refer to a girl or a boy.But there will be a phenomenon that when some girls say something, others will feel that they can't say it because it is the language of boys.
2.For people who do not identify with a gender, the features of speech mean rigorous classification and colored signs,the features are ingrained from young age.
Rong S.

Post by Rong S. »

I think the marked terms is neutral, maybe it is about my parents who live equally. For different gender the feature of lanuage mean their personality status quality and so on.the features are base on ther exprience, so there both from young and choice.
Paige W.

Post by Paige W. »

Hi Jiahui,
Thanks for all your comments! I think it is really interesting that you brought up how there is a language of men and women, and that when one gender uses the language of the other gender it is viewed negatively. I think that happens in the United States a lot!

Hi Rong,
Thanks for your input! I think it is really unique that you talked about how our experiences tie into the type of language that we use. From that perspective I can see that our language is somewhat of a choice and may not be completely ingrained from our young age.