1 - Comparisons on “And the Spring Comes” and “Mona Lisa Smile”

Mikala A., Zixuan F. Wanyi C., and Jingfeng G.
Mikaela A.

Mikaela Axman- Reflection on the border-crossing history

Post by Mikaela A. »

Mikaela Axman
Reflection- Border Crossing Activity

1. For the border-crossing activity, I expected that in my group, the Chinese students and my fellow student would provide me with a few changes to make on my paper like spelling errors or something along those lines! I had this expectation based on the way the activity was introduced. However, the comments I received went above my expectations for the activity- they asked me to clarify major ideas and in responses I received to my comments on other student’s papers, was asked to further explain and state my opinion. Students commenting really seemed to care about what my paper was trying to convey and if it made sense to them and other readers, rather than just correcting small errors.
2. Three things that stuck out to me when interacting with my Chinese peers were:
a. They had similar ideas about what the comparisons and differences between the movies, often times highlighting similar ideas that I expressed such as women’s empowerment. I expected their comments to be different because of the cultural differences, however a lot of times we focused on similar ideas from the movies.
b. They were more than willing to ask me questions and for further explanation on why I chose a quote that I did and seemed genuinely interested in learning more about why I chose to write what I did. I didn’t expect them not to be willing, but I’m so happy they were and when they were, it really stuck out to me!
c. They included cultural terms that stuck out to me, for example “leftover woman.” I was afraid that the Chinese students would leave out terms specific to their culture because they knew American students would be reading them and would most likely not understand them, but I liked how they included these terms and then just explained what they meant when I asked so I could learn from them!
3. I definitely incorporated the comments from my peers into the revised draft because I understood one of the main purposes of this activity to be improving your essay while also learning from peers from new cultures. I realized that I needed to expand on the explanation of including the quote She has the power of her voice and doesn't need money or beauty" in order to make the argument for women’s empowerment clearer. I also added a brief summary of both plots in the beginning of my second paragraph because, based on a comment I received, I realized this would allow my analysis of the movies to make more sense.
6. Positive, Active and Curious
This activity was positive because I believe only positive things came from it- students from different cultures interacting, sharing ideas and improving each other’s writing.
This activity was active because it encouraged you (with the 3-comment rule) to be checking to see if someone commented on your post and excited to answer with an explanation to a question, actively sharing ideas.
This activity was curious because it allowed students to be curious about each other’s writing and about the cultural references and understandings.
7. Accepted, Eager, and Hopeful
This activity made me feel accepted as a writer. The comments I received from my peers helped me to feel confident in my writing, but also know where I needed to improve.
This activity made me feel eager to learn more about the Chinese culture and way of writing, as well as interacting with students with other cultures.
This activity also made me feel hopeful for activities like this in the future, hopefully in other classes.
8. I feel thankful for the opportunity to be involved in an activity like this because it is not every day that you get to interact with students from other cultures, and especially not every day that you get to collaborate with them on your writing! I am always looking for new ways to connect globally and to improve my writing, and this activity did both for me. I hope other professors look into implementing activities like this because a lot can be learned from it.
Wanyi C.

Re: 1 - Comparisons on “And the Spring Comes” and “Mona Lisa Smile”

Post by Wanyi C. »

Hi, Mikaela

It’s really interesting and meaningful for me to discuss with you, too!
I thought Zhouyo intends to approach Tsai-ling by learning music. But after re-watching the movie, I found I was oblivious that Zhouyo had heard Tsai-ling’s songs on the radio and decided to learn music before he met with her. So, I think you were right. It’s true that Zhouyo has a artistic dream in the beginning! Thank you for your reminding! What's more, I think you have done well in your revised essay!
Best wishes.