29 - Stuck in Choosing

Jieyan Z., Zihong Z., Jingyuan L., and
Zihong Z.

29 - Stuck in Choosing

Post by Zihong Z. »

We are all humans and we all have to live with other humans in the society. To live peacefully with each other, we make laws. To live colourfully, we make traditions. With laws and traditions, we all should be able to be leading a life which is both peaceful and colourful. Unfortunately, that’s not what happens to Wang Cailing and Katherine.

Wang Cailing has an unattractive appearance but holds a passionate belief in opera singing. She tries to procure a position in Central Academy of Music or residency in the capital city – Beijing - and dreams of getting an opportunity to sing in the National Opera Company. Inevitably, the plain-looking old woman with no networking fails.

Katherine is a non-orthodox Art History teacher, who accepts the challenge of teaching in the conservative Wellesley College. Disappointed with the fact that all the girls are stepping onto a predetermined path, Katherine decides to fight against the status-quo of Wellesley and tries to make a difference. However, it seems that nobody not even herself ends up living the way she’s been hoping for.

In Wang’s case, obviously, social mobility, appearance and even gender are confining her. She always feels inferior because of her disadvantaged background and plain-looking face. However, as far as I’m concerned, the out-dated ideas of art from the outsiders matter most. This constraint has been particularly amplified and contrasted through a wide shot where Wang pours herself into singing when almost all the audience turn away, leaving her alone at the town square. The whole setting of And the Spring Comes is cold and depressing. It looks as if every element of the environment were fighting against Wang Cailing. Katherine is no exception. On the very first day of her very first class, Katherine has learnt her lesson. We can feel how her heartbeats accelerate when the shots are applied in a cut-away form and keep switching faster. She is overwhelmed and totally speechless when the slides come to the end. All the students raise their hands, showing how ‘good’ these girls are. Wang Cailing and Katherine are both holding firm beliefs which, unfortunately, cannot be widely accepted by the majority.

Wang is never even close to her dream. Someone even argues that Wang is not an authentic believer in art at all because she keeps dreaming singing in the golden opera house. That’s not true. A fake will never enjoy singing opera in an empty square.

On the other hand, Katherine does seem to have made a difference. In the end, Betty files for a divorce, giving up the tradition to seek truth. Interestingly, Joan who supports Katherine most becomes a housewife with ‘no depth, no intellect, no interests.’ But Joan is happy. Housewife is ‘the role Joan wants to fill in.’

On our journey to the unorthodoxy, we are constantly influenced and re-shaped by all kinds of constraints. Sometimes they are so powerful that we start to wonder: Will those who choose an unusual path be truly happy? Are those who still stick to the conventions certainly unfortunate?

When people believe the freedom to choose liberates us, I personally think it is the variety of choices which is confining us subconsciously and fundamentally. Our desires surely motivate us, but there’s no denying that, in many cases, they also lead us into a trap. The possibility of singing in the golden house is not a complete good point for Wang Cailing. Joan is now content with being a housewife but has Katherine come over, querying her decision. Perhaps, we are not in thrall to the traditions but are stuck in choosing among a dazzling number of paths.
Jieyan Z.

Re: 29 - Stuck in Choosing

Post by Jieyan Z. »

what do you mean by "the possibility of singing in the golden house is not a complete good point for Wang Cailing"?
Zihong Z.

Post by Zihong Z. »

:lol: Yes, I'm afraid the sentence itself is somewhat Chinglish. Sorry.

What I was trying to say is that it might have been better, if Wang Cailing doesn't need to struggle for this ultimate goal which is literally unreachable. She could have enjoyed being a musician teacher at a shool in a provincial city, if she never knows there is a chance for her to sing in the golden opera house in Beijing. Do you think I have made my point clear now? Does it make sense? :D

For example, do you think you would be satisified with yourself if you know that after some kind of struggling and hard working, you can also become a millionaire? Or would you be happier if you know that it's totally impossible and just be content with what you've got?

To some extent, that's what the title of my review means. We are stuck in choosing to become a millionaire or not. :|

Hope this explanation works! ;)
Jieyan Z.

Post by Jieyan Z. »

I don't think it is wrong for her to hold this dream. We all have a dream and we know it may never come true. However, we are happy to keep it as a drive in life. Sometimes dream does not exist for someone to realize, but for someone to live with hope and passion. we struggle, fail and compromise, only to find a balanced state to live. And sometimes miracles indeed happen. The point is Wang Cailin was talented and she could realize her dream if she lived in today's society where she could show her talent through pubic media. It is the society he lived in that should be to blame.
Zihong Z.

Re: Jieyan Z.

Post by Zihong Z. »

You do have a point there. Thanks for offering me a new perspective! :D

:P Are there any other areas that you think I can improve on?
Jingyuan L.

Post by Jingyuan L. »

Hi Zihong,
It is great that you talked about both movies together rather than separately. Under the compare, it is more clear to see the difference between the cultures and personalities. To improve the paper, I think you should add more details to support your ideas. Such as Katherine decides to fight against the status-quo of Wellesley and tries to make a difference. However, it seems that nobody not even herself ends up living the way she’s been hoping for."
You'd better explain more about what and why there is a difference. So the reader can understand what you mean.
Also, there is another suggestion. American people always write a paper with a strong thesis and it is always in the first paragraph. It is beautiful that you lead readers to follow your lead with the first three sentences. But It is better that be clear with what you want to clarify.
Jingyuan L.

Post by Jingyuan L. »

Hi Zihong,
You summarized two movies very well. I am sure that even someone have never watched those movies, they still get it.
But, I would like to see more thoughts from you. I like when you talk about your feelings about the movies.
You wrote "On our journey to the unorthodoxy, we are constantly influenced and re-shaped by all kinds of constraints. Sometimes they are so powerful that we start to wonder: Will those who choose an unusual path be truly happy? Are those who still stick to the conventions certainly unfortunate?" as a reader, really want to see some deep discussion about those questions.
Zihong Z.

Re: Jingyuan L.

Post by Zihong Z. »

Thank you so much, JIngyuan! I'm terribly sorry for my late reply. T.T

Recently I've been busy prepharing a contest and the mid-term exam and thus I spare much time to really consider your questions and suggestions thoroughly which are all very good and even a bit challenging! :P

I promise I'd like to offer you my detailed explanation on Friday night, when I can finally take a breath. Before that I guess you can read some articles by the American students. Many of them are quite interesting. I personally recommend the one titled '37 - Sun or Moon: Cultural difference in Heroines’ Persona in Mona Lisa Smile and And the Spring Comes ' by Grace from Group G. ;)

Thanks again! And my sincere apologies!
Zihong Z.

Re: Jingyuan L.

Post by Zihong Z. »

First of all, I just want to say thank you again, for your all suggestions and questions. ;)

One of your suggestions is that it would be better if I ‘add more details to support my ideas’. Yes, I totally agree with you. So many friends and classmates around me always tend to express their opinions without giving some actual examples, which I personally find very hateful. Therefore, I’m aware of this problem and I guess I did provide some details.
For instance,
1) However, as far as I’m concerned, the out-dated ideas of art from the outsiders matter most. This constraint has been particularly amplified and contrasted through a wide shot where Wang pours herself into singing when almost all the audience turn away, leaving her alone at the town square.
2) On our journey to the unorthodoxy, we are constantly influenced and re-shaped by all kinds of constraints. In the end, Betty files for a divorce, giving up the tradition to seek truth. Interestingly, Joan who supports Katherine most becomes a housewife with ‘no depth, no intellect, no interests.’ But Joan is happy. Housewife is ‘the role Joan wants to fill in.’
3) Our desires surely motivate us, but there’s no denying that, in many cases, they also lead us into a trap. The possibility of singing in the golden house is not a complete good point for Wang Cailing. Joan is now content with being a housewife but has Katherine come over, querying her decision.
And another reason is that I’m little worried that if I offered too many details, then I’m not writing a film review but a film report, would you agree? :P

You also mentioned ‘American people always write a paper with a strong thesis and it is always in the first paragraph’. Indeed! I’ve notice that, too! Probably that’s what English (or at least American English) Writing is about. By doing so, they’re able to express their opinions much more directly and thus clearly. Nevertheless, I don’t believe it is necessarily the best way to write a film review. Offering your final conclusion at the very beginning makes your review kind of bland. We’re not conducting an experiment, debating or arguing. So perhaps we could save the best for last? In this way, we could lure our readers in more smoothly. :D

Last but not least, let’s come to the two very questions which, I admit, are a bit controversial and might not be what the two movies are trying to tell us.
But anyway, let me ask you several questions.
1) Are your memories of kindergarten or/and primary school good or postive?
2) Was going to that kindergarten or/and primary school your own decision(s)?
3) You had a variety of universities to choose from upon your high school graduation, but are you satisfied with your current choice?
Let’s have an even deeper discussion, with your own answers!

Looking forward to your reply, very much.
Jingyuan L.

Post by Jingyuan L. »

Hi Zihong
Thank you for your reply! I am so happy from read from you. All the points you made are clear and positive, and I am really appreciate what you did! I hope you did well on your mid-term, and I totally understand your situation.
I read your answers to my questions carefully, and I like the first and the third points very much!
You mentions the importance of outsiders and desires, which are two factors human can not control well. At least, there are many limitation to control them. But most time, what we can not host the thing that matters most to us. I remember the moment that Wang sings alone, and I respect that because she is doing the thing that most people don't dare to try. However, I don't blame the disrespect of the audience either, because they are normal people. They have choice to do whatever they think is right. An ironic thing China is that emotional hurt always does not count as hurt even sometimes it is worse than physically hurt.
Brave people take it and normal people just let it pass, and flow into time.

Let me answer your question, although I am not sure what are these for. Maybe you could explain for me.
1) Both of the memories in kindergarten and primary school are positive. Maybe some moments are bad, and I still remember those, but generally great!
2) of course not. A 3year old kid does not know what kindergarten mean, so does a 6 year old has no idea of primary school.
3)I would like to say 80% satisfied. There are some mistakes I made in past years that I always wish I could correct. To be honest, I am the type that always pick myself. However, Even I had a chance to choose from that time, I still don't know whether I will regret or not.