13 - The guide to chase the dream

Mikala A., Zixuan F. Wanyi C., and Jingfeng G.
Jinfeng G.

13 - The guide to chase the dream

Post by Jinfeng G. »

Mona Lisa Smile is film about a young teacher who struggled for some much conservative manners. And the Spring Comes is talking about an artistic woman Wang Cailing struggled between dream and reality in agony. Kathrine and Wang Cailing, both are women; both have their dream; both struggled for the difficulties in reality. But even if there are challenges in life, they still persevered to chase their dreams. One of the differences might Kathrine guided other people but Wang guided herself. They both take the guide when chasing their dream, which the point I want to discuss here.

Through a serious monologue at the beginning of the movie, Kathrine was introduced and monologue directly tells people why Kathrine choose Wellesley College, the most conservative college in the nation. Through this way, the movie brings people to think her motivation and how she would do.

The Wellesley College, educated students how to become an understanding wife and loving mother. Kathrine thought the college had too many labels, the right family, the right school, the right thinking style, etc.But Kathrine wanted to have a big change. What change? To guide the her students to struggle for the rights of female.

To make a successful guide, Kathrine created a unique teaching style to drive students to thinking. After the first failed lesson, Kathrine didn’t follow the textbook and outline to teach, instead showed the works out of textbook. Through the creative style, Kathrine tried to guide her student to think ” what is the right art”. As a guide, Kathrine guide them to think independently.

In fact, the movie not only focuses on Kathrine herself, but also focuses on some specific characters. Like Betty in the movie. Under the education of her conservative mother, to defend the traditional thinking” women for marriage and children”, she spared no expense to compete with Kathrine in class and school paper to attack Kathrine’s thoughts. On the other hand, she was unfortunate and suffered from a failed marriage. As a guide, Kathrine encouraged her to end the marriage. Although it was hard to change Betty, Kathrine did it successfully. There is nothing impossible, but just lack of guide whatever it is to be offer.

In addition, Joan was another good example. Under Kathrine’s inspiration and impossible, she thought herself and realized the real value of the life, and chased her further education dream. Besides, Kathrine tried to guide them to fight for their lifestyle and reality. They also reflected the further success for Kathrine’s guide.

Equally, Wang was similar to Kathrine. But she guide herself. After experiencing much failure, Wang guided herself to insist on her life.Wang just a music teacher in a small city and was fascinated with opera. However, the people of small cities were not keen on opera. So she wanted to root in Beijing to chase her music dream. Nevertheless, the life she led was not without a hitch. If she didn’t guide herself, she may had lost hope for life. Her way to guide is through get along with other special people.In fact, Wang observed these people and thought of some reasons to keep on or give up her dream.

For example, in the beginning, she fell in love with Huang Siibao, who desired to go to Beijing to study in an art academy , but always failed. Though it was a failed loving, it reflected that Wang tried to regard him as a guide who could encourage to think achieving the dream is right. But the fact is that Wang just wanted to find spirit ballast to guide herself to keep on her dream. Maybe it is an good way to chase you dream.

Also she was hit by Hu Jinquan ‘s tragedy. She was cheated by Gao Beibei who made a fictional story about dream and suffered other unfortunate events. But they are the events or experiences which guide Wang herself. In the end, she changed his dream. It didn’t mean she gave up chasing, just change another dream and quest with her guide. After all, even if a puny woman, they have right to change right dream. It’s no matter that you change your dream because you still to chase the dream and choose your own life. And we need guides.

As a matter of fact, Kathrine guided her students to chase and Wang guided herself to chase dream. In conclusion, an independent woman doesn’t depend on owning high social status or other factors, but they can choose the life they want.
Maybe, we aren’t sure what we want. However, if we want to walk along the road of life, we must be independent to think and keep on chasing your dreams. But, it is also important to have guides.
Mikaela A.

Re: 13 - The guide to chase the dream

Post by Mikaela A. »

Hi Jinfeng G.!

I really liked how, in your essay, you focused on how women's empowerment and social mobility were two major themes in the movie because I did as well and your organized your essay really well! :) I think it would be helpful if somewhere you mentioned that these were the terms you were talking about so that the reader understands more clearly which themes you are discussing. I think that the focus is that Katherine guided others through social mobility and women's empowerment and Wang guided herself which is mentioned in the beginning. I think a few more sentences on this would be useful to argue this because I think that Wang also helped others and Katherine also helped herself. From there, you could also state your position or opinion on this! Do you agree with the decisions that Katherine and Ms. Wang made throughout the movies? Why or why not? Your main revision would be to just fix a few language and grammar mistakes, sometimes you put extra words in or miss words. For example, in the last line it should say "which is the point I want to discuss here."
Jinfeng G.

Post by Jinfeng G. »

Hi, Mikaela A.!
First, thanks for your suggestions to my essay, I think they are useful. :D Then I give my answers to your questions about the decisions made by characters in the movies. In my opinion,I agreed with most of their decisions, even though a small decision. For example, in the beginning, Kathrine chose to rent a room instead of compromising on the strict rules of accommodation. It reflected she insisted some of her principles.
But I didn't some of decisions, for example, Ms. Wang kept arrogant when she had failed in Beijing and claimed she would work in China National Opera House. I think it still reflected Wang's confusion.

Do you think I write less on Kathrine's self-guide and Wang's guide to others?
I don't think it is my focus and I just need to mention them on my essay. Could you please some plots to prove that Wang guided other people?
I think it is a little hard for me, and could you give some help to me?
Mikaela A.

Post by Mikaela A. »

Hi Jinfeng!
I enjoyed reading your opinions in this response and hope you elaborate on them and include them in your final paper!

In regards to your focus, what do you think your focus was? So that I could better help you make it more clear! I saw Ms. Wang guiding others when she helped others by giving them singing lessons and Katherine helped herself when she made the decision to leave the school as a teacher after the first year because she decided that was what she wanted! Let me know if these plot points are helpful in expanding your focus!

Looking forward to hearing back from you!
Zixuan F.

Post by Zixuan F. »

Hi Jinfeng!

I really like how you organized your essay by narrowing down the movie to give support evidence and how you focus on the theme of social mobility for both movies. I think it could make your essay better to include more of your personal opinions in the essay while you are doing your work. I would assume everybody who would get a chance to look at your essay would be people who have already watch the movies, so it would be an important factor to have your own opinion included from the very beginning of the essay through the whole essay. Somehow, it would also help you to mention your them in the essay.

In addition could you please tell me about your position or opinion about both of them? Who do you prefer is a better human being? What is your
opinion with the decisions they made as the movies were being developed?
Jinfeng G.

Post by Jinfeng G. »

Hi, Mikaela!
Thanks for your help. I am grateful that your response reminded me of some details in the movies. :) I think they will be helpful in my essay.
And I am so sorry that I didn’t give more explanations on decisions. I think I will complete them more as possible in my final paper.
Then what do you think of Joan, who finally gave up her chance to get further education. What do you think of her decision on it? Actually, besides Kathrine and Wang, I really have complex feeling for Joan. Do you think her decision was regrettable? Then, do you think Kathrine guided her successfully?
Looking forward to your reply and your opinions !
Mikaela A.

Post by Mikaela A. »

Hi Jinfeng! That sounds like a great idea!

I think that is a complicated question because although it seems like Joan wasn't an empowered woman, she has decided what her own success will be and for that I don't think I can judge her for her decision! It's not the decision I would've made, but if it's what made her happy then she doesn't necessarily have to be an empowered woman for any reason!

What do you think about her decision?
Jinfeng G.

Post by Jinfeng G. »

Hi, Zixuan!
Thanks for your suggestions to my essay. Maybe your opinions are reasonable, and I ignored some details. I think I will elaborate my personal opinions in my essay and cut down some unimportant details. I believe I can enrich my essay to more convincing and attractive.
As for my position about both of them, I think they both offer us guides to chase our goals. Even though I can’t  say who is right and who is wrong, but I still have a preference. To be honest, I prefer to be a person like Kathrine. She had a definite goals and spared no efforts to chase her goals. Also she set herself to guide other people while she guided herself as well. As for Miss Wang, I think her target was too high to hit her by the reality. When the movies developed, I think Miss Wang chose her right way to the life, at least she made clear the reality and dream. I agreed with the decision she finally made.
And Kathrine, although she met many challenges from the secular pressure, she didn’t give up her goals, even if she had to leave. I really appreciate her decisions on persistence.
I hope you are content with my response. Looking forward to your reply.
Zixuan F.

Post by Zixuan F. »

Hi Jinfeng!

I'm so glad to hear back from you about your opinion on both characters, not surprised that you chose Katerine instead of Miss Wang. I totally agree with your analysis of the development on both of them, however, I still have other thoughts besides their personality as for human being matters. In my opinion, I think Miss Wang, as an average person back in the day, could reflect some of the social reality of the era. Everyone would like to be on a higher stage, but most of them would have met barrier due to the lack of skills. It is not a bad thing to face challenges but it is terrifying not realizing the self-limitation. In Gu's movie, both Huang Sibao and Wang Cailing provided an example of that kind of person, in a more broader point of view, their sight is the most harmful limitation for them. Do you agree with this or do you have any other ideas about the social trends in the time period of the movie?

looking forward to your reply.
Jinfeng G.

Post by Jinfeng G. »

Hi, Mikaela!
Thanks for your opinions on Joan’s decision. I think your opinions are reasonable and convincing. Actually it was a complicated question. But my opinions might be a little different. Her decision had her own reasons. But when she made this decision, I think she should struggle to her original thought. She may consider many factors such as family and happiness. As Kathrine said, she could get both. But I think in her mind, she chose the most important factor and thought it was more important than further education and a lawyer. Everyone should make choice in the life and what we need to do is not regrettable in the rest of life.
What do you think of my opinion?