And the Spring Comes and Mona Lisa Smile

skm5765

And the Spring Comes and Mona Lisa Smile

Post by skm5765 »

Siti Nur Arifah Mohamad Azhar

Briefly, the movie And the Spring Comes tells about the hardships suffered by Wang Tsai Ling, a female vocal teacher with an impressive voice who dreams to become a famous opera singer and perform at the National Opera House in Beijing, who also had encounters with other frustrated artists who are struggling as much as she was in achieving their dreams. Meanwhile, the story of Mona Lisa Smile shows the challenges faced by Katherine Watson, a young female art history professor who taught in a prestigious all-female campus called Wellesley College, with her intentions to free peoples’ minds from the prison of traditional rules and systems that define one’s success (especially as a woman) while coming to terms of her own heart’s desires. Although both movies share the same focus on the inevitable struggles one has to face as a part of his/her journey to their dreams/goals, these two movies nevertheless were filmed in different demographics and cultural backgrounds that expose us to both different and similar kinds of experiences.

First of all, the most significant cultural difference that can be observed between these two films is the student-teacher relationship. In China, it seems that students respect their teachers by offering them their obedience, determination (referring to their willingness to listen and to be taught by), and commitment to learning. In other words, the students in Chinese culture fully devote themselves to their teachers with the intention to improve themselves even if they are naturally talented/skillful. For instance, there’s a scene where a girl with an already excellent opera voice approaches teacher Wang to ask for her help in achieving her wish to perform in Beijing (even when she later caught lying to have cancer to gain teacher Wang’s pity). In contrast to American culture shown in Mona Lisa Smile, the students seem to undermine their teacher’s qualifications to give lessons that, they claimed, can be self-studied. For example, Katherine’s first class was overruled by her students’ obnoxious smarty-pants attitude. In fact, Katherine herself had to find ways to get her students’ recognitions; which contradicts Chinese culture in which the students themselves have to fight for their teacher’s approval instead. In other words, Chinese culture has greater sense of superiority compared to American culture which stands with the idea that everyone can stand on the same stage-level.

In spite of the differences, these two films also share cultural similarities: gender discrimination and stigma in relationships. Both films demonstrate the same individual function(s) of a man and a woman, although with a slight difference in local stereotypes/standards that describe what is proper and what is not. In general, both films put men above women in every matter: career opportunities, love relationships, status indicators, and family. For instance, teacher Wang holds her steps towards her dream to let the young male painter pursue his dream of becoming the next Van Gogh; meanwhile, one of Katherine’s excellent students named Joan gave up her dream to go to Yale Law School to follow her husband instead who got admitted into University Of Pennsylvania. In most cultures, women are meant to be wives and bear children, not preparing themselves for graduate schools which in this case, required for the men instead -to be highly educated and work high paid jobs. As a matter of fact, womanhood in American culture involves perfecting oneself with proper ethics, eloquence, and poise; in other words, a woman of elegance. While men are allowed to choose their future careers, women are shaped to be perfect-wife-material individuals.

As both men and women are expected to abide by their appointed roles and complement each other as a couple, it was quite unacceptable during those times to be in homosexual relationships. Although the perceptions of this idea have changed across time, it was quite a taboo to be in such circumstances during the times depicted in both films. For example, the gay ballerino in the movie And the Spring Comes was harshly treated and criticized and was labeled by the local people as abnormal. The same prejudice appears in Mona Lisa Smile when Katherine’s housemate, Amanda’s partner (Josephine) was introduced by Kat’s other housemate (Nancy) as her companion instead as a form of showing her disapproval towards such a relationship.

All in all, the obstacles one has to encounter in pursuing his/her dreams oftentimes rooted in the cultural aspects developed in a society. In the case of these two movies, the different cultural perceptions in the student-teacher relationship in Chinese and American society is definitely a significant aspect that enhances the distinct cultural norms between these two major cultures in the world. Meanwhile, gender discrimination and stigmas in homosexual relationship are commonly known, and still is a taboo, in many social groups around the world. In addition, most cultural norms are, globally recognized to be, harsher to women over men. It is truly an irony for us to have our own life be shackled to the public’s expectations; even though we do have the key on us to free ourselves from those fetters.
University: Suzhou University of Science and Technology

Re: And the Spring Comes and Mona Lisa Smile

Post by 1822542008 »

First of all, I am very honored to read your article. I think the author has a very good analytical perspective on these two films. He makes a unique and novel analysis by taking advantage of the teacher-student relationship to deeply analyze the similarities and differences between different cultures represented by the two films. However, in the fourth paragraph, I do not agree with the interpretation of the movie And the Spring Comes. I don't think hu jinquan is gay. He was labeled as an outcast by the local people because the ballet career he pursued as a man was not understood by the society at that time, so people attacked him and looked down upon him, thinking that he might be gay. These absurd ideas of people are inseparable from the social background and ideological culture of China at that time. My suggestion is that you can learn about the historical background of China in the 1980s, which may help you understand the film better. Hu jinquan paid a lot to get rid of the gay label. So I agree with you that the obstacles a person faces in pursuing his/her dreams are often rooted in the cultural aspects of social development. While your analysis of the subject of sexism is good, it seems that two films are not.
The above is my personal opinion. I hope to provide help to your article modification. By the way, are you used to using WeChat for communication? If possible, could you please give me your WeChat? If not, your email address is also available, so that we can exchange our detailed opinions in private.

Post by 1787523600 »

Siti Nur Arifah Mohamad Azhar,
Obviously, the entire essay displays an vivid, tight style. You begin with a comparative description of the two characters’ life, then wisely pointing out that the two movies are filmed in different demographics and cultural backgrounds. A really impresive introduction.
Not limited to the movie’s main content, your essay extends to more significant concepts. You put forward student-teacher relationship, gender stigma, women plight, etc., which offers us a lot of inspirations. But a little question: Since these topics cover a wide range, how do you organize the most prominent one? You highlight that the “most significant” difference is student-teacher relationship--Chinese students tend to be obedient whereas Ameicans not. But we think this may be a stereotype and mostly, not the focus of And the Spring Comes. Would you like to make a further elaboration both in the way of content and structure?
And finally we do want to show our admire to your last paragraph! “It is truly an irony for us to have our own life be shackled to the public’s expectations; even though we do have the key on us to free ourselves from those fetters.” We deal with this feeling in our own essay as well and find your prouforund understanding gives us much help.
Let us know if you have any question.

Dou miaomiao & Zhu Ke
skm5765

Post by skm5765 »

Hi Cheng Yihan,
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for the misinterpretation of the ballet guy as gay. I guess the film did a good job of making me "conform" to society's idea of gay during those times. I will put that in mind while revising my essay letter. I do have a question that I would like you to clarify on: you commented, "While your analysis of the subject of sexism is good, it seems that two films are not." Did you mean to say that the two films did not portray this idea of sexism as much? Or was it that you want me to provide more scenes to support this claim?
skm5765

Post by skm5765 »

Hello Dou Miaomiao and Zhu Ke,
Thank you for both of your feedback. The points made throughout the whole essay was meant to describe my own observations and interpretations when I was watching both films. I guess I should've used a different term instead of significant. What I meant by that point was that I've noticed that the relationship between students and their teacher(s) is clearly different from when in China and in America.
Also, as I was saying, the whole essay was meant to describe my observations of various (different and similar) cultural experiences in these two countries, not on a specific main theme presented in both films. Considering that I am neither a Chinese nor American, I find it interesting and noteworthy to point out these various cultural experiences which also seem to be both different and similar to where I'm from. I hope this answers your confusion. Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions that you would like to give me. Thank you.

Post by 1787523600 »

Dear Siti Nur Arifah Mohamad Azhar,
Okay I think I get your point! From your interpretations as an observer, your hold that the two movies go to great lengths to display cultural diiferences from many ways. You did not mean to hightlight any special respect but rather to show different cultural phenomenons. Is my understanding right? Indeed I am also a lover of intercultural communication and find many of your perspectives novel and inspiring(I am unaware of them when I was watching).
And I would like you to share something about the "key on us to free ourselves from those fetters". In my essay I mentioned Wang Tsai Ling leads a tragical life due to her social status. Gender is actually downplayed in "Spring" than that is in "Mona Lisa"( see the ballerino Hu and Huang, both men also suffered a lot). So perhaps there lie many more complicating factors behind their lives. I got stumped at this point so did not make a further analysis in my essay. How 's your feeling about this? Is there any real "key" to free the characters from shackles? Thank you.
Zhu Ke
University: Suzhou University of Science and Technology

Post by 1822542008 »

Hi, Siti Nur Arifah Mohamad Azhar
Thank you for your reply. Here, we offer more detailed answers to your questions. We think it's original to start analyzing the two films at the point of sexism. However, from our point of view, the focus of the two films does not seem to be sexism. It seems to be biased to analyze the two films from sexism. The subject may be reflected in the Mona Lisa smile, but in the And the Spring Comes, sexism is not very prominent. This is just our personal opinion and we hope this will give some help to you. Perhaps the difference of opinion between you and me is caused by our different cultures. We are also glad to learn different opinions from your article. :)
Cheng Yihan &Wu Meijia
skm5765

Post by skm5765 »

Hey Zhu Ke,

Yes, you are correct. My analysis mainly focusing on the different cultural phenomenons rather than specifying the main issue/problem occurred during those times. I'm glad that you've figured out my intentions :)
I'm happy that you're interested in my opinion on the matter of having the "key to free ourselves from those fetters." Like you did, I also had the same strong feelings on this dilemma. In this case, I was referring to how individuals tend to feel obliged to fulfilling others' expectations according to their ways instead of having one's own way, making one feels like they had no choice, even when they actually do. For instance, it seems that women are expected to marry and have kids even in Chinese culture which Wang Tsai Ling has adopted a child instead rather than marry herself to some guy.
I personally believe that people's expectations come from the norms developed in the culture they belong to. The fetters refer to people's expectation to act according to the 'supposedly' ways. The key here refers to our chance to release ourselves from the need to follow the public ways and instead, to do things our way. In short, just be yourself and not anybody or everybody else. This, however, is my truly own personal thought. If yours are different than mine, I would love to hear more from you.
skm5765

Post by skm5765 »

Hello Cheng Yihan and Wu Meijia,

I might have a different interpretation than both of you of the two films. Or perhaps I misunderstood the concept of sexism being applied in the movie And the Spring Comes. Thank you for pointing that out and I will definitely rewatch the movie to have a clearer sense of this matter. Perhaps I should emphasize more on stereotypes and social standards (such as what beauty is, how one's success is defined, etc.) rather than gender roles in this movie? What do you think?

Post by 1787523600 »

skm5765 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:41 pm I personally believe that people's expectations come from the norms developed in the culture they belong to. The fetters refer to people's expectation to act according to the 'supposedly' ways. The key here refers to our chance to release ourselves from the need to follow the public ways and instead, to do things our way. In short, just be yourself and not anybody or everybody else.
Hello Arifah,
Couldn’t agree more. We are who have been shaped in our exsiting culture, to some extent. I've found this feeling in my freshman year when I came to my university. At first I was alienated and made struggless to adapt to the local culture. But personally I am an admirer of inter-cultural communication and globalization cause I do not want to be labeled as a symbol of special place, culture, etc.. So I'd like to travel and experience a lot. The key lies on our own heart, indeed.

Also, And the Spring Comes reminds me of two other movies: Dead Poets Society(1989) and the Breadwinner(2019), both about characters against the dominant culture, the authority. Someone made compromises while someone gave in. Seems that free will is an everlasting matter among human beings.
Strongly recommend you to watch. :)
Zhu Ke