Originate from Reality and Loyal to Reality

Post by 1394817902 »

Li Shiyao

"Mona Lisa’s smile" and "And the spring comes" are two films with slightly different emphasis. In view of this, we analyze the film from two aspects: film connotation and film shooting details.

"Mona Lisa's smile" is a film about women's emancipation of mind. It tells the story that in 1953, the American art history teacher Katherine faced all kinds of obstacles, still determined to teach the new ideas of openness and freedom to the students, and finally was loved by the students.

"And the spring comes" is a realistic critical movie. Wang Cailing, a music teacher, lived in a closed Town, but she liked singing opera. She wanted to create a legend of "saltfish turning over". At last, she ran counter to her dream.

In fact, the deep-seated themes of the two films are the same: people should think about what they really want, rather than their own blind dreams.

However, in "Mona Lisa", the story tends to praise the important value of self-consciousness of women like Catherine. And in-depth elaborated to us the life independent significance. That is to say, both sexes have their own unique endowments, and each of us has the right to think and choose independently. So the combination of personal value and life value needs to get rid of the shackles of the old ideas.

"And the spring comes" focuses more on highlighting the "artists" represented by Wang Cailing, who have dreams but are unwilling to put them into practice, and finally they can only sink into the anxiety of "becoming mediocre" and be normal. This film seems to be a consolation to the poor literary and art youth who only have a little talent. In fact, it criticizes them who love art with a hypocritical attitude through the description of reality environment.

From the details of the film, the two films have different narrative ways.

The narrative style of "Mona Lisa's smile" is very simple, and it tends to express the central idea of the story in a straight way. In this film, Catherine's lecture and unremitting pursuit in class can directly show the struggle and persistence of women's pursuit of dreams at that time, as well as her yearning for freedom and liberation. It is also good at using the plot to make hints, contrast, reduce the difficulty of the audience to understand the film. At the end of the film, the two factions have a very different outcome: the opposition is convinced by the teacher to go its own way. The middle class, on the other hand, has reverted to "getting married and having children," which is a common technique in many films.

By means of the independent and long shot of vivid, “And the spring comes” depicts the tragic fate of Wang Cailing, Huang Sibao, Zhou Yu and the feudal thoughts solidified by the people in the background. Wang Cailing, in particular, was sitting on a cart full of cattle and sheep and drifted away, which is also shows the straightforward and simple style of the movie, and the lens is more direct and captures the emotion in small moments without rendering.

The color style and language use of the two films are also quite different.

The movie "Mona Lisa's smile" has a bright color. The whole movie is warm and bright from Catherine's entering school. But the hue of "And the spring comes" is dark. Taking the last Ballet of Hu's solo dance in the classroom as an example, the contrast of light and shade and proper occlusion of the lens make the tragic atmosphere reach the extreme.

The use of unique language in the two films is great. The use of Inner Mongolia dialect in the film "And the spring comes" has put the characters in an excellent real environment, which make the ending of Huang Sibao and other supporting actors exist in the film vividly and contradictory. In order to show a unique charm of reality.

The movie "Mona Lisa's smile" is more academic and polite. In some ways, it also shows an ideal environment, which makes women's thoughts on self-worth struggle in American schools become obvious at that time.

To sum up, the narrative ability of the plots in foreign films is very strong, especially for the display of independent freedom consciousness. In China, movie always tends to use more obscure description to show the theme of the story. But it can't be denied that both films clearly point out that we should live in the present and then pursue our dreams.

Re: Originate from Reality and Loyal to Reality

Post by 953556183 »

This is an article that I think is quite different from others. The first thing is its title, which shows that this is an article with "reality" as the theme, which I think is relatively new. In addition, they pointed out at the beginning of the article that the analysis should be made from two aspects: film connotation and film shooting details. The front part of the article briefly tells the story outline of the two films, and then begins to analyze their deep themes. I agree with them: people should think about what they really want, rather than their own blind dreams.
Then, they compared the two films. The combination of personal value and life value needs to get rid of the shackles of the old ideas.
Thirdly, they compared the narratives of the two films. The “Mona Lisa's Smile” speaks directly to the central idea of the story. “And the Spring Comes” is the use of independent and vivid long lens to express emotions.
What’s more, they also think about the color style and the use of language. These two films, one is bright and the other is dark. There are also differences in language use, but each has its own unique characteristics.
Finally, they analyzed the differences between foreign films and Chinese films. But in the distinction, they also emphasize the theme of the article which is that we should live in the present and then pursue our dreams.

Post by 1394817902 »

953556183 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:03 pm This is an article that I think is quite different from others. The first thing is its title, which shows that this is an article with "reality" as the theme, which I think is relatively new. In addition, they pointed out at the beginning of the article that the analysis should be made from two aspects: film connotation and film shooting details. The front part of the article briefly tells the story outline of the two films, and then begins to analyze their deep themes. I agree with them: people should think about what they really want, rather than their own blind dreams.
Then, they compared the two films. The combination of personal value and life value needs to get rid of the shackles of the old ideas.
Thirdly, they compared the narratives of the two films. The “Mona Lisa's Smile” speaks directly to the central idea of the story. “And the Spring Comes” is the use of independent and vivid long lens to express emotions.
What’s more, they also think about the color style and the use of language. These two films, one is bright and the other is dark. There are also differences in language use, but each has its own unique characteristics.
Finally, they analyzed the differences between foreign films and Chinese films. But in the distinction, they also emphasize the theme of the article which is that we should live in the present and then pursue our dreams.

I’m glad that you analyze this essay for dividing it into three parts: content, theme and presentation. It also helps us to summarize the central idea. Thanks^ ^
Last edited by 1394817902 on Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
akd5439

Post by akd5439 »

Hi Li Shiyao. I loved reading your essay because it analyzed the two films different than everyone else's essay. Most people chose to focus on the the similarities, especially in relation with women empowerment. But you chose to compare and contrast both films with their plot and content. I think the essay was great and I don't have any criticisms for you. I wish you the best with your future endeavors! :)

Sincerely,
Alvin Dastine

Post by 1394817902 »

akd5439 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:41 pm Hi Li Shiyao. I loved reading your essay because it analyzed the two films different than everyone else's essay. Most people chose to focus on the the similarities, especially in relation with women empowerment. But you chose to compare and contrast both films with their plot and content. I think the essay was great and I don't have any criticisms for you. I wish you the best with your future endeavors! :)

Sincerely,
Alvin Dastine

Thank you Alvin(˶‾᷄ ⁻̫ ‾᷅˵)! I also like your essay very much!
lkr5215

Post by lkr5215 »

Hi Li Shiyao,
i really enjoyed the interpretation you made out of the two films. I liked that you did conclude with the message of both movies is to follow your passion and your dreams. I didn't think of the colors and language as a part of these films, but after reading your paper, it makes me reflect on those two movies differently.

Post by 1394817902 »

lkr5215 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:10 pm Hi Li Shiyao,
i really enjoyed the interpretation you made out of the two films. I liked that you did conclude with the message of both movies is to follow your passion and your dreams. I didn't think of the colors and language as a part of these films, but after reading your paper, it makes me reflect on those two movies differently.
Thank you very much for your comments. I will make further changes to the deficiencies.

Post by 953556183 »

1394817902 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:44 am
953556183 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:03 pm This is an article that I think is quite different from others. The first thing is its title, which shows that this is an article with "reality" as the theme, which I think is relatively new. In addition, they pointed out at the beginning of the article that the analysis should be made from two aspects: film connotation and film shooting details. The front part of the article briefly tells the story outline of the two films, and then begins to analyze their deep themes. I agree with them: people should think about what they really want, rather than their own blind dreams.

I’m glad that you analyze this essay for dividing it into three parts: content, theme and presentation. It also helps us to summarize the central idea. Thanks^ ^
Looking forward to your next writing too! :lol:

Post by 1394817902 »

Modified essay:

"Mona Lisa Smile" and "And the spring comes" are two films with slightly different emphasis. In view of this, we analyze the film from two aspects: film connotation and film shooting details.
"Mona Lisa Smile" is a film about women's emancipation of mind. It tells the story that in 1953, the American art history teacher Katherine faced all kinds of obstacles, still determined to teach the new ideas of openness and freedom to the students, and finally was loved by the students.
"And the Spring Comes" is a realistic critical movie. Wang Cailing, a music teacher, lived in a closed Town, but she liked singing opera. She wanted to create a legend of "saltfish turning over". At last, she ran counter to her dream.
In fact, the deep-seated themes of the two films are the same: people should think about what they really want, rather than their own blind dreams.
However, in "Mona Lisa Smile", the story tends to praise the important value of self-consciousness of women like Catherine. And in-depth elaborated to us the life independent significance. That is to say, both sexes have their own unique endowments, and each of us has the right to think and choose independently. So the combination of personal value and life value needs to get rid of the shackles of the old ideas.
"And the Spring Comes" focuses more on highlighting the "artists" represented by Wang Cailing, who have dreams but are unwilling to put them into practice, and finally they can only sink into the anxiety of "becoming mediocre" and be normal. This film seems to be a consolation to the poor literary and art youth who only have a little talent. In fact, it criticizes them who love art with a hypocritical attitude through the description of reality environment.
From the details of the film, the two films have different narrative ways. The narrative style of "Mona Lisa Smile" is very simple, and it tends to express the central idea of the story in a straight way. In this film, Catherine's lecture and unremitting pursuit in class can directly show the struggle and persistence of women's pursuit of dreams at that time, as well as her yearning for freedom and liberation. It is also good at using the plot to make hints, contrast, reduce the difficulty of the audience to understand the film. At the end of the film, the two factions have a very different outcome: the opposition is convinced by the teacher to go its own way. The middle class, on the other hand, has reverted to "getting married and having children", which is a common technique in many films.
By means of the independent and long shot of vivid, "And the Spring Comes" depicts the tragic fate of Wang Cailing, Huang Sibao, Zhou Yu and the feudal thoughts solidified by the people in the background. Wang Cailing, in particular, was sitting on a cart full of cattle and sheep and drifted away, which is also shows the straightforward and simple style of the movie, and the lens is more direct and captures the emotion in small moments without rendering.
The color style and language use of the two films are also quite different. The movie "Mona Lisa Smile" has a bright color. The whole movie is warm and bright from Catherine's entering school. But the hue of "And the spring comes" is dark. Taking the last Ballet of Hu's solo dance in the classroom as an example, the contrast of light and shade and proper occlusion of the lens make the tragic atmosphere reach the extreme.
The use of unique language in the two films is great. The use of Inner Mongolia dialect in the film "And the Spring Comes" has put the characters in an excellent real environment, which make the ending of Huang Sibao and other supporting actors exist in the film vividly and contradictory. In order to show a unique charm of reality.
The movie "Mona Lisa Smile" is more academic and polite. In some ways, it also shows an ideal environment, which makes women's thoughts on self-worth struggle in American schools become obvious at that time.
To sum up, foreign films and Chinese films are quite different in the expression of film content. But it can't be denied that both films clearly point out that we should live in the present and then pursue our dreams.

Post by 1394817902 »

Introspection:
This interaction gives us a brand-new sense of experience, and expands our own thinking structure while commenting with our classmates. For the content of the article, evaluators have different opinions. This allows us to think about the excessive content of the article: when we write an article like this, we should focus on the most touching part we felt in the film, and other aspects can be slightly involved as a guide to the point of view. Only in this way can the written article hierarchy be clearer. Given that, we still need to improve a lot. Hoping we can pay attention to the problems next time and make the article better.