Hold "Ideal and Love" and Strive for a Male-dominated Society

Hold "Ideal and Love" and Strive for a Male-dominated Society

Post by 3030843098 »

Cheng Fengjie

We all know that in the past, for women, love and family are the only ones. Based on that unenlightened society, however, the protagonists of And the Spring Comes and Mona Lisa’s Smile held high the banner of freedom to people, showing the charm of women's self-worth promotion. Today, this article is mainly to talk about the differences and similarities of the two films.

And the Spring Comes is directed by Changwei Gu, Wenli Jiang , Yao Zhang, Guangjie Li and other leading roles. The movie tells the story of the contradiction between the dream and reality of Cailing Wang and other artists in small cities in the 1980s. While, Mona Lisa's Smile is produced by the American Revolutionary Film Studio, directed by Mike Newell, Julia Roberts, Kirsten Dunst and Julia Stiles, which are co-stars. The movie tells the story of 1953 in the United States, when the times are changing, that Catherine, who was full of ideals and enthusiasm, boldly challenged the stale teaching system.

The similarity of the two movies maybe the one theme: the ultimate destination of women is the promotion of self-worth. In these two movies, the two female masters are out of tune with the living environment, and they are stubborn and refuse to submit. Starting from women themselves, their characteristics lie in the rupture of traditional female identity.

However, the two movies also have their differences. Mona Lisa's Smile reflects the theme through teachers' own resistance and education of students' thoughts. In this movie, in the old society with Feudal conservatism, women learned the art of liberation, but they stuck to conservative ideas to assist the husband and bring up children. The keynote of that time just focuses more on how to be a good wife and mother in the future family. How ironic! Full of ideals and enthusiasm, Catherine bravely challenged Wellesley College's stale teaching system and traditional values by encouraging students to go to college and freeing their minds. She has never been to Europe, but the spirit of European liberation carries out her values. She doesn't want to be tied down, be trapped in marriage or do what she dislikes. So it is clearly seen in the movie that Catherine refused her fiance’s proposal and chose to pursue her own career. At the end of the movie, although she did not change people’s minds to a great extent, Catherine still chose to continue his procession of fight and walk with firm confidence. Going to Europe with a dream is a good example. In a sense, she has played an ideological and culture role. While And the Spring Comes mainly reflects the theme through the dedication to love and art, and the gap between the ideal and reality of little people. Faced with the utilitarian and pragmatic society, Wang is unwilling to be confined in a small town. She would rather suffer cruel and indifferent secular relationships than pursue dreams. We can see that both of them in different ages choose to pursue their independent personality and ideal of freedom. Wang finally made concessions to reality. In the process of opposing traditional female roles, Wang, as a female spirit, surpassed the female body and began to yearn for a better life with her children. She continued to return to Beijing and took her children to prepare for a better life. When the dream is shattered, the only answer is to be ordinary. And she accepted her
ordinary.

Another bright light of two movies is that the main figures are round characters instead of flat characters, which means they have complex personalities. In the And the Spring Comes, on the one hand, Wang knew she had such a good voice, and always felt that she was not defeated by life, although only being a small city conservatory of music teaching in the real world. On the other hand, Wang was fat and ugly in the reality, but knew only to put on a proud expression of "I am the only one in the world", and to say often, "I am being moved at the central opera house," where. But in fact, she was asking for a place as an office woman. This is the duality of Wang's character, which is as vivid as ordinary people around us. In the Mona Lisa's Smile, Catherine dares to hate, love and make enlightenment ideas, but she is a little egoistic. She doesn’t know what others really need until she understands the significance of listening and tolerance. If Betty is the only one, the teacher insists that her enlightenment is certainly liberating Ben's life and making Ben's life full of meaning and luster to be herself, which is another new possibility. There is no denying that this is the teacher's enlightening role. However, for Joan’s part, another uncomfortable side of Catherine is clearly seen: Paranoid and stubborn. As Catherine’s student, Joan receives her instructions, learning to think deeply about the real meaning of life. However, Joan finally gained her own view of life and made her own decision to be a housewife instead of being a graduate student of School of Law at Yale University. In other words, Joan realizes she should follow her own heart instead of completely following Catherine’s suggestions. As a teacher, it is certainly that they have the responsibility to enlighten students and guide them out of foolish thoughts, but what should do more is not to respect students? The teacher should give support and recognition to the students after their own thinking and decision, because it is their own life! Fortunately, the teacher finally realized this point. The characters in these two films are so different but they leave an indelible impression on people.

Even so, there are still some aspects in the Mona Lisa's Smile that can be improved. Some deep-seated things have not been exposed thoroughly enough. Take Connie as an example. As a plump and self-abased girl, Connie wins her true love eventually. Her story seems to tell us that an ordinary-looking girl is completely able to pursue her true love as long as she is courageous enough. I don't know how a girl who feels inferior suddenly becomes bold. Is it just for love? Is this transition a bit abrupt? The film Mona Lisa's Smile is initially intended to criticize the discrimination of the women, however, Connie’s love story isn’t actually impacted by a male-dominated world. It is just a fairy tale without any social criticism.

The two movies reflect not only in the isolation from traditional women, but also in the shackle of secular marriage and subordination of women, and the awakening of female self-awareness. I like the heroine Cailing Wang saying about the spring, “Every year the spring comes, my heart is always ready to move, think there will be something to happen; but the spring passed, and nothing happened, and I felt as if I had missed something.” That's true. Life has never promised anyone. After the beginning of spring, the world is flowing, as always, no love and no death.

In conclusion, both movies have their advantages. If you are interested in emancipating the mind of women, you may as well take a look.

Re: Hold "Ideal and Love" and Strive for a Male-dominated Society

Post by 1226847047 »

Dear Cheng Fengjie
Hello, I am glad to read your article and know what you think of these two films. I have some personal opinions below, and I'm very glad that you can continue to read it.
After reading your movie review, I think this review is complete and contains sufficient evidence to support the topic. I can feel from between the lines,you watched the two films seriously. In this films review, you analyzed the psychological details of the protagonists in both films. What is worth mentioning most is that you had your own different ideas about the films, and also noted that the films need to be improved.However, the second half of the title “Strive for a Male-dominated” is slightly inappropriate, because the main point of the movie And the Spring comes isn’t aimed at male. And in paragraph 4, you can add a general sentence to the comparison.
Looking forward to your reply and your opinions!
Wu/ Ji
yml5247

Post by yml5247 »

Hi Fengjie,

I'm glad to discuss with you about the two different films. I am a Chinese student who attends college in the United States. When I know there is an opportunity to communicate with Chinese university students, I am really happy!

Your essay is really good! You have your own analysis and understanding of the similarities and differences in the women in both films. And your analysis is backed up by concrete examples! To get better, maybe you can combine the cultural differences between China and the United States for a deeper study, or combine some analysis on film shots, scripts, filming, and so on.

Thank you so much and I look forward to getting your reply!

Sincerely,
Yuhang Liu

Post by 3030843098 »

Hi, Wu / Ji

I am very happy to receive your reply. You said that “the second half of the title “Strive for a Male-dominated” is slightly inappropriate, because the main point of the movie And the Spring comes isn’t aimed at male. ” Yes, you are right. Because I used an ambiguous phrase“strive for”in the title. While at first, I want to express the meaning that women work together to struggle against with the male-dominant society, but I did not choose the right word. I will notice this latter. And I think in the “And the Spring Comes”, Wang strives for this destiny to live a different life, which is very fantastic. I will pay more attention to the part of analyzing about her. My sincere thanks are due to you.

Fengjie Cheng

Post by 3030843098 »

Hi,Yuhang Liu

I am very happy to receive your reply. I was excited when I learned that you were a Chinese student who attends college in the United State.

In terms of this essay, I know that the failing is lacked of the cultural difference between two countries. Although I argues many details of two films, I did not mention the soot of the difference, that is the background and culture of that time and that country. Maybe only the background and culture can explain the deeper reason. I will pay more attention to the part of analyzing about her. My sincere thanks are due to you. I hope everything is going well and you are enjoying your life here.

Fengjie Cheng

Post by 1226847047 »

Hi Cheng Fengjie
Thank you for your reply. If you want to correct the title, maybe you can exchange "strive for" for "fight against". If you must use the word"Male-dominated", I hope you can increase some details about how men influenced women in both movies. If you have any questions, please let me know.
Wu Qianlin, Ji Ling jin
yml5247

Post by yml5247 »

Hi Fengjie,

Thanks for your reply!Your arguments of details from the two films are good! Hope you have a good day!

Sincerely,
Yuhang Liu

Post by 3030843098 »

Hold "Ideal and Love" and Fight Against a Male-dominated Society
— review of And the Spring Comes and Mona Lisa Smile

We all know that in the past, for women, love and family are the only ones. Based on that unenlightened society, however, the protagonists of And the Spring Comes and Mona Lisa Smile held high the banner of freedom to people, showing the charm of women's self-worth promotion. Today, this article is mainly to talk about the differences and similarities of the two films.

And the Spring Comes tells the story of the contradiction between the dream and reality of Cailing Wang and other artists in small cities in China in the 1980s. While, Mona Lisa Smile tells the story of 1953 in the United States, when the times are changing, that Catherine, who was full of ideals and enthusiasm, boldly challenged the stale teaching system.

The similarity of the two movies maybe the one theme: the ultimate destination of women is the promotion of self-worth. In these two movies, the two female masters are out of tune with the living environment, and they are stubborn and refuse to be women whose only duty is to take care of her husband and children. Starting from women themselves, their characteristics lie in the rupture of traditional female identity.

However, there are also differences between the two movies, the setting, the values, the fight ways and the ending. In Mona Lisa Smile, faced with the old society with Feudal conservatism, women learn the art of liberation, but still stick to conservative ideas to assist the husband and bring up children after graduation. How ironic! Full of ideals and enthusiasm, however, Catherine bravely challenges Wellesley College's stale teaching system and traditional values by encouraging students to go to college and freeing their minds. She has never been to Europe, but the spirit of European liberation carries out her values. She doesn't want to be tied down, be trapped in marriage or do what she dislikes. So it is clearly seen in the movie that Catherine refuses her fiance’s proposal and chooses to pursue her own career. At the end of the movie, although she does not change people’s minds to a great extent, Catherine still chooses to continue his procession of fight and walk with firm confidence. Going to Europe with a dream is a good example. In a sense, she has played an ideological and culture role. While And the Spring Comes mainly reflects that the value of women lies self-improvement through the dedication to love and art, and the gap between the ideal and reality of little people. Faced with the utilitarian and pragmatic society, Wang is unwilling to be confined in a small town. She would rather suffer cruel and indifferent secular relationships than pursue dreams. Wang gets rid of the view that common women should find a suitable family, and she even gives up the hope of marrying. She chooses to pursue her independent personality and ideal of freedom. Unfortunately, Wang finally makes concessions to reality. In the process of opposing traditional female roles, Wang, as a female spirit, surpasses the female body and begins to yearn for a better life with her children. She continues to return to Beijing and takes her children to prepare for a better life. When the dream is shattered, the only answer is to be ordinary. And she accepts her ordinary.

The bright light of two movies is that the main figures are round characters instead of flat characters, which means they have complex personalities. In the And the Spring Comes, on the one hand, Wang knows she has such a good voice, and always feels that she is not defeated by life, although only being a small city conservatory of music teaching in the real world. On the other hand, Wang is fat and ugly in the reality, but only to put on a proud expression of "I am the only one in the world", and to say often, "I am being moved at the central opera house". She is so pretentious to ask for a place as an office woman. This is the duality of Wang's character, contemptuously and shamefully, which is as vivid as ordinary people around us. In the Mona Lisa Smile, Catherine dares to hate, love and make enlightenment ideas, but she is a little egoistic. She doesn’t know what others really need until she understands the significance of listening and tolerance. If Betty is the only one, the teacher insists that her enlightenment is certainly liberating Ben's life and making Ben's life full of meaning and luster to be herself, which means another new possibility. There is no denying that this is the teacher's enlightening role. However, for Joan’s part, another uncomfortable side of Catherine is clearly seen: Paranoid and stubborn. As Catherine’s student, Joan receives her instructions, learning to think deeply about the real meaning of life. However, Joan finally gains her own view of life and makes her own decision to be a housewife instead of being a graduate student of School of Law at Yale University. In other words, Joan realizes she should follow her own heart instead of completely following Catherine’s suggestions. As a teacher, it is certainly that they have the responsibility to enlighten students and guide them out of foolish thoughts, but what should do more is not to respect students? The teacher should give support and recognition to the students after their own thinking and decision, because it is their own life! Fortunately, the teacher finally realized this point. The characters in these two films are so different but they leave an indelible impression on people.

Even so, there are still some aspects in the Mona Lisa Smile that can be improved. Some deep-seated things have not been exposed thoroughly enough. Take Connie as an example. As a plump and self-abased girl, Connie wins her true love eventually. Her story seems to tell us that an ordinary-looking girl is completely able to pursue her true love as long as she is courageous enough. The question is why a girl who feels inferior suddenly becomes bold? Is it just for love? Is this transition a bit abrupt? The movie Mona Lisa Smile is initially intended to criticize the discrimination of the women, however, Connie’s love story isn’t actually impacted by a male-dominated world. It is just a fairy tale without any social criticism. At the same time, in And the Spring Comes, how does Wang transform her character’s personality should be more detailed. The two movies reflect not only in the isolation from traditional women, but also in the shackle of secular marriage and subordination of women, and the awakening of female self-awareness.

In conclusion, I think both of the two movies have its advantages. If you are interested in emancipating the mind of women, you may as well take a look.

Fengjie Cheng/ Pengyu Chen
Last edited by 3030843098 on Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by 3030843098 »

Reflection

The way of this correcting the composition is different from the past, that is the form of a letter. I feel very happy and honored when the western students affirm my suggestion, which makes me more energetic to go further analysis. Through this interesting way, I really learn a lot from western students and our classmates by enjoying the process of exchanging our opinions.

Firstly, I find that their sentences are very simply and powerful. We just want to write long and long sentences to express our ability, but long sentences may become some nonsense and make others feel vague and ambiguous. And sometimes, some short words can make people understand clearly. Just like “Tang and Song poems” in our ancient time give us great sense of beauty with concise statement. Secondly, I think western students have a deeper thinking about two films. What they think of is not just the analysis and technique, but also the background of two countries. I completely agree with this, because something different is hidden in the deep, not the surface. Before exchange, I wouldn’t have thought to write something deeper. And now I realized that the essay we wrote is to explore the similarity and difference about two films in different times and different countries. If we did not care about the culture and history, we can not clearly probe into the author’s inner world. Thirdly, I learn a lot about expression, such as “Having a nice day!” or “Sincerely”, which I just saw in the textbook before and never played in my writing. It is very fantastic. If we have more opportunities, I believe we can do better.

As for my essay, I made some improvements on contain and details. Firstly, the spelling of the mane of two films was worry, and the right should be Mona Lisa Smile and And the Spring Comes. Also, the title due to the use of ambiguous words, resulting in errors in the meaning of the message, and other students gave me advice. A good headline is half the battle, and I think I will pay more attention to the latter composition. Secondly, I noticed that most of the grammar was just simple past tense, which reduced the difficulty of writing and gave me a good sample. At first, I was in a dilemma where I can not find a proper tense. And now I think most of students choose the simply past tense is proper. Thirdly, I deleted the staff list and added some eastern and western cultural background. After reading other’s essay, I found out staff list may not be that important, and I didn’t have to waste space on this. Besides, I tried to refine my words, which maybe more complete than before. And I am very happy to participate in this meaningful activity. Many of us all enjoy it.

Fengjie Cheng