Like the Wind -- Women, be Brave to Yourself

Like the Wind -- Women, be Brave to Yourself

Post by 3188257245 »

Zhou Yang

Mona Lisa Smile tells the story of 1953 in the United States. Catherine, who graduated from the open-minded Berkeley University, went to Wesleyan Women's School to teach art history. But Catherine, full of ideals and passion, was bold to challenge the stale teaching system with her rich art history knowledge and interesting and enthusiastic teaching style. Finally, she has won the respect and the love of students, and is called the “Mona Lisa” by her students. And The Spring Comes is a movie about the hope hiding in tragedy. The film mainly tells the story of Cailing Wang, a music teacher from a small county, who is unwilling to live an ordinary life and decides to pursues her blue-sky dreams relentlessly but finally accepts reality under successive blows.

As we all know, Mona Lisa Smile is a world-known painting, which has led countless people to think and explore the enigmatic meaning beneath the picture for many years. Before we watched the film, we guess that the film may be related to art appreciation and the aesthetics improvement. What’s more, the sacred status of this famous painting in art also shows the profound theme of this film, which is thought-provoking and is worthy of people to explore its depth. Meanwhile, when you see another film’s name, And The Spring Comes, it will give you a feeling that although the winter remains its dominance of all the creatures in the world, people surrounded by the chill still have a longing for spring and warmth beneath their heart.

Both films have manifested women’s pursuit of self-worth. The free wind traveling around the world will never be captured and controlled just like the women who are brave to break the chains and chase after their goals. In the Mona Lisa Smile, Catherine is successful. She wants the girls at Wesleyan Women’s School to get rid of their traditional position of being a good wife, and to provide students with extracurricular paintings to inspire their thinking in non-traditional learning. In the end, she did not compromise with life to stay at school with traditional teaching methods, but allowed girls to become their own masters and see the world from a new perspective. But in the And the Spring Comes, this pursuit is a failure. Cailing Wang, who was born in a small county, regards singing in Beijing and then singing at the Paris Opera House as her dream, but reality will shatter her ideal, and she can’t even gain a foothold in Beijing without relatives. In a small county, no one would understand this art, and the crowd scattered after the snow, leaving her alone to sing in the snow. But she finally surrendered to life, adopted a girl and returned to her traditional identity as a woman. Reality, like the wind of winter, broke her dream. But it gave her a safe place to settle down -- her family, which was her spring in the harsh winter.

Another point, we would like to talk about the marriage concept conveyed by the two works. Never yield to the shackle of traditional marriage, women who like the wind should choose their own traveling destination. In the film Mona Lisa Smile, Catherine transmitted her value marriage concept that be yourself and never be a slave to men brilliantly, guiding female students to walk out of the stereotype role in the marriage, to pursue their own value boldly and to realize their potential in their career. Catherine bravely stood up to let the girls of Wesleyan College realize their power and let them understand the value of women, which is far greater than “natural roles”. In the movie And The Spring Comes, the heroine Cailing Wang is not willing to be trapped in a small city or to be a housewife instead she dare to pursue her dreams. Although her dreams are broken, she still has her own perseverance when in the face of marriage without easily compromising with the world, she finally adopted a child and lived her own happy life.

Both movies use the non-verbal strategy of “Tone” to imply the ending of the movie. Tone refers to the multiple tones of the light and dark of the object represented by the lens under the action of light. It is an important means for processing picture composition, creating a live atmosphere, enhancing language effects, and expressing thoughts and emotions.

The tone of Mona Lisa Smile is bright and colorful. when shooting, the climate is close to late autumn and overflow a classic romantic atmosphere. Scenes like Churches, banquets and campuses repeatedly appear in the movie with bright colors. The characters also have exquisite makeup, elegant clothes, and beautiful accessories. These harmony, elegant and romantic scenes makes viewers feel comfortable. It seems to imply that although Catherine has encountered some setbacks, she finally let the girls enlighten their ideas, see the world from a new perspective and become the masters of their own lives.

On the light, the movie And The Spring Comes chooses relatively dim light as a whole, showing an atmosphere of deep anxiety and helplessness. The glum light predicts the sad core that characters are obsessed with dreams but are finally defeated by the cruel reality. Scene like Jinquan Hu pushing his bicycle alone on a cold winter night was presented to the audience in cold colors. And a few parts still choose a softer light. It implies a glimmer of hope in life after the failure of the dream. For example, the last shot that Cailing Wang played with her adopted daughter, Xiao Fan, was an orange soft light that seemed to indicate that this would Cailing Wang newly defined the beginning of life.

Don’t wait for the wind coming for you, brave women, can be the most care-free wind by yourself.
rzp80

Re: Like the Wind -- Women, be Brave to Yourself

Post by rzp80 »

Zhou Yang,
This is a really interesting take on both movies. To elaborate, I like how you chose to focus on women's pursuit of happiness and their goals. You had good examples to back up these claims. Specifically, I liked your use of the warm climate in "Mona Lisa Smile" and the colder climate in "And the Spring Comes" to mirror the female characters' success throughout the film.
You also discussed female characters in both films verbally denouncing marriage. Do you think the timing of both movies (Mona Lisa Smile in the 1950's and And the Spring Comes in 1990's) impacts how they viewed marriage? In other words, were Wang Cailing's and Katherine's perspective about marriage the same?
In addition, the structure of your paper is very polished and well laid out. For example, you provide a good background to both movies before you discuss your argument.
This is a well written essay,
Rachel Phillips

Post by 1119644748 »

Zhou yang

Firstly, you did a good job of contrasting the colors of the two films and using light to show the psychology and ending of the protagonist. The tone of Mona Lisa's smile is bright and colorful. This seems to imply that, although Catherine finally let the girls enlighten their own thoughts and become the master of their lives. And the Spring Comes chooses the overall relatively dim light, indicating the core of the tragedy, that is, the characters are addicted to dreams, but finally defeated by cruel reality. This comparison not only enriches the description of the article, but also profoundly demonstrates the nonverbal strategy and theme of the film.

What’s more, you did a great job with the layout of the article! The idea of the whole article is very clear. In addition, you analyze and compare And the Sping Comes and Mona Lisa's Smile, in terms of women’s pursuit of self-worth, marriage concepts. But there is only one drawback,  the title is simple and clear, but I don't understand why it is "like the wind", and the relationship with "wind" is not very clear. I wonder if you could explore how the nonverbal strategy of characters’ clothes, makeups, accessories, gestures, etc.in both movies adds to the tone of the movie.

Great job! :D
Jinghan Cheng&Haiping Shi

Post by 3188257245 »

Hi, Rachel Phillips
Given to the first reply you send to us, we have to admit that your question makes us think deeply about the concept of marriage explained in the two films.

Let me talk about my understanding of the background of the times. I am not so familiar about he historical and cultural background of the United States in the 1950s but I know what China in 1990s was like. That if a woman did not marry, it was a staggering thing and she would be regarded as a geek or alien. I think Wang Cailing is such a courageous woman that she challenges prejudices, and is so brave that getting married or not is just her choice.

In addition, I think Wang Cailing and Catherine have different understandings in marriage. Catherine encourages students to focus on their own development instead of giving up their marriage totally, or in other words students can take into account the dual status of scholars and housewives. The desire to become a housewife has never been completely abandoned. At this level, it reflects the desire of women for self-worth, but it is not thorough. Wang Cailing's view of marriage is even more tragic. If she can't find a suitable lover, she would rather not get married all her life. Her attitude towards the relationship with men actually shows a full affirmation of self-identity--following her heart.

As you said, Mona Lisa Smile is more concerned about the relationship with men, and And The Spring Comes taps into the many possibilities for women to live their own life. Then I would like to extend it further. From a certain perspective, Mona Lisa Smile is comedy, and And The Spring Comes is a tragedy, which actually gives us some hints. On the way for women to pursue self-worth, which one should we choose? Is it partial compromise or radical? This is worth thinking about.
P.S In addition, I would like to ask if it is convenient for you to tell me your gender? My team member and I are both girls. By--Zhou Yang and Li Simin

Post by 3188257245 »

Hi Jinghan and Haiping,

Thank you for your affirmative attitude of our non-verbal effect of light on the theme of the film. 

As for your suggestion, the analogy we made in the title,“ like the wind,” is actually explained at the beginning of the third paragraph of the article. “The free wind traveling around the world will never be captured and controlled just like the women who are brave to break the chains and chase after their goals.” There is also a connection between the style of description and women’s view of marriage at the beginning of the fourth, “Never yield to the shackle of traditional marriage, women who like the wind should choose their own traveling destination.” In the last paragraph, we also made a summary of “brave women, can be the most care-free wind by yourself.” So our definition of wind is free and unfettered. But we wondered if it was because we wrote too little that you didn’t notice. Therefore, we will consider adding more female spirit and the relationship with wind reflected in the two films in the follow-up improvements. 

On the question of how the non-verbal strategies of the characters in these two films, such as costumes, makeup, accessories and gestures, add to the tone of the film. Thank you for your suggestions, and my partner and I will consider adding to the analysis. We only mentioned these non-verbal strategies in the article and there is no analysis. But it is also possible to analyze their effect on the topic. 

Anyway, thank you for your advice. We look forward to more of your suggestions on amendments.

--by Zhou Yang and LI Simin
rzp80

Post by rzp80 »

Hi Zhou Yan and Li Simin,
I really appreciated your insight about marriage in China in the 1990's. It is quite similar to life for women in the 1950's. To elaborate, there weren't a lot of opportunities for women to be successful in the workforce. While some women went to college, it typically was reserved for wealthy women. The degree was also looked at as a status symbol, instead of to be utilized for finding a job. To give an example, my grandma always told me that she went to typing school (this isn't really around anymore, but it was a school where you learned to be a secretary) to stay busy until she got married. There are definitely exceptions to this narrative, but women were often encouraged to get married and start a family.
I agree with your interpretation of Wang Cailing and Katherine's views on marriage. It was also really insightful to note that "Mona Lisa Smile" is intended to be a comedy and "And the Spring Comes" is intended to be a tragedy, which definitely plays into how the story ends.
A few scenes that stuck out to me in particular is when Katherine never rejects her boyfriend's proposal. In fact, he is the one who breaks it off with her when she is reluctant even though it's clear she is not happy. On the other hand, Wang Cailing turns down two proposals because she won't enter a marriage she knows will not make her happy.

To answer your question, I am a female.
I really enjoyed your thoughts,
Rachel Phillips
tjb5856

Post by tjb5856 »

I like how you brought up the tones of the two films. "Mona Lisa's Smile" has a tone that is relatively light. While at points dramatic, the films is very beautiful to look at. The scenery is very idyllic and the characters are all made to look very pretty, with their makeup and wardrobe. The setting of mid-1950s Wellesley College gives the films an air of being upper-class. The characters act more like movie characters than they do real people. "Mona Lisa's Smile" has a tone that makes the audience feel like everything will work out in the end. "And the Spring Comes" has a tone that is far more bleak. Wang, does not teach as some high-end New England liberal arts college, but at a school in a very industrial area. The colors of the film are very dull. Wang herself is not very glamorous, nor are her living conditions. She constantly works to achieve her dream of becoming a famous singer in Beijing, facing numerous hardships along the way. The characters in this film act very realistically. "And the Spring Comes" has a tone that you have to make your dreams come dream. The happy ending you want is not going to be just handed to you.

Post by 3188257245 »

Hi Timothy,

Thank you for your reply to our article. I am very pleased with your affirmation of the non-verbal strategy of tone in our article. 

At the same time, your reply gives us some inspiration. Because we mainly depict the role of tone in promoting the plot in filming, we feel that we can add another perspective to the subsequent revision. For example, the overall tone of the film plays a role in predicting the ending of the film. What do you think? I look forward to your opinion. 

In addition, because of our unfamiliarity with American culture in 1950’s, we didn’t notice the exaggerated part of Mona Lisa Smile at first, which was unrealistic. And the Spring Comes did describe the life of the people at the bottom of China’s rural areas in the 1980s, with a strong realism. The social character background of the film structure and the realism of the film make us find a new contrast. 

We think we still have many deficiencies in film review writing, and we look forward to more of your valuable suggestions on amendments.

--by Zhou Yang and LI Simin

Post by 1119644748 »

Dear Zhou and Li
Thank you for your specific interpretation of the image of wind. I understand the meaning of "wind". The definition of the wind is free and unrestrained, just like the spirit of female courage. This is the use of analogy, I get it, thank you !
This is just one of our thoughts on adding to the tone of the film, and we hope to play a small part in your revision process. Generally speaking, your articles are smooth in content and clear in theme, which I like very much.
It's been a pleasure talking to you. :D
Cheng Jinghan and Shi Haiping

Post by 3188257245 »

Hi, Rachel!
I'm glad to hear from you. In fact, I think our conversation about marriage has benefited both of us. I also noticed that your article mentioned patriarchy. Do you think that only women are oppressed by patriarchy? Because I find that you have also noticed Hu Jinquan's unfair experience in the movie And The Spring Comes. As a man in the movie, he has also been scolded and cursed by other men. If you don't think that only women are victims by patriarchy, then what kind of angle can we use to think about the opposition between men and men in the men dominating society? --By Zhou Yang and Li Simin