Historical Backgrounds and Personal Pursuits

University: Suzhou University of Science and Technology

Historical Backgrounds and Personal Pursuits

Post by 1578267199 »

Zhang Peiyun

After watching And the Spring Comes and Mona Lisa Smile, we are more inclined to attribute the theme of these two films to personal pursuit. What kind of characters' fates after experiencing individual pursuit will be in different historical backgrounds? What are the different pursuits between the two films? What can we learn from it? Below, we will carry out specific analysis from the above aspects.

First, what kind of characters' fates after experiencing individual pursuit will be in different historical backgrounds? In both films, the time of the former is the 1990s, when China was undergoing great changes of Reform and Opening up and socio-economic differences were gradually enlarged. Wang Cailing is the epitome of millions of people who seek to achieve their personal goals in developed cities. But the latter lived in the United States in the 1950s. After World War II, the happy housewife was the typical image of American women in this period, and the number of women returning to the family surged.

It is not difficult to find that the protagonists in the former are actively seeking freedom, while the latter is actively returning to the family and finding themselves under the encouragement of Catherine. Thus, this plot is closely related to the historical background of the time. The reform of China has affected the cognition of every ordinary person, and the search for a new world and personal values are consistent with the characteristics of the times in this period. The American call for women to return home is also closely related to the traditional American view of women and the shadow of the cold war. Therefore, the historical background is closely related to the fate of the characters at that time. Without China's epoch-making reform, Wang Cailing would have had little courage to pursue her own destiny. If America does not require women to return to the family, how can the group of lively girls have such a deep-rooted feudal ideology?

Second, what are the different pursuits between the two films? In our opinion, there are two differences between the two films, one is the pursuit of different goals, the other is the pursuit of different freedom. In the aspect of pursuing different goals, it can be found in And the Spring Comes that Wang Cailing is an independent woman, who pursues her dream and desires to come true her dream. She had a passion for opera and longed to be an actress at the Central Opera Theatre. When Hu Jinquan said they were a group, she immediately retorted, "you are against the world, and I am against the ordinary." Thus, we can find that she is a person with ideals and pursuits. This pursuit became a way to redeem oneself and change one's destiny. But in Mona Lisa Smile, the talented girls' access to higher education was restricted by feudal ideology, and their personal consciousness was killed. Becoming an excellent housewife is their pursuit, and they finally found the meaning of being themselves with the help of Catherine. This pursuit is aimed at self-awareness.

In the different aspects of the pursuit of freedom, the art in And the Spring Comes is still not widely loved by the general public, let alone the small cities of the early 1990s. So the the protagonist's persistent pursuit of art with Wang Cailing as the representative is bound to be a tragedy. After experiencing numerous blows, she still chose the unremitting pursuit of art. In addition to her love for art, the deeper reason is that she can acquire a sense of spiritual superiority, which comforts her to be different from the ordinary people. This sense of spiritual superiority will eventually translate into a sense of superiority in real life. For someone like her, if that goal is not achieved, the rest of her life is meaningless. For the meaning of life is what they give to themselves, not to others. It can be said that the pursuit of freedom of such people represented by Wang Cailing is a kind of spiritual freedom.

In Mona Lisa smile, in addition to awakening the girls' self-consciousness, it also profoundly expounds the freedom of women. Except to realize that they are not the accessories of the family, it is necessary to know that the freedom of women also lies in the right to make independent choices. This can be found in Catherine's conversation with Joan. Joan chose her family and give up the opportunity to study law at Yale university. Although she returned to her family, it was the life she wanted. No matter what kind of choice, as long as they really want, should be respected. This is the true meaning of female freedom.

Third, what can we learn from it? We can find that the plots of the two films are closely related to the historical background. It can be said that the era created the conditions for the emergence of the story, but also the era set the limits of the development of the story. In And the Spring Comes, China is in the early stage of Reform and Opening up. Although the degree of social opening has been improved, society is still relatively backward. Besides, the fate of the three protagonists in the film is also related to the social objective conditions of the time. Successful artists need to make the audience like their art, so they can be considered successful. But at that time, Chinese people were more concerned about food and clothing, so there was no room for artistic development. It was not entirely unexpected. In Mona Lisa Smile, because the rapid postwar prosperity of the United States and the influence of the American dream have laid the foundation for the liberation of people's minds, the girls was able to find themselves. If not, why should girls be educated to study art? And the performance of the girls in the film also shows that they are a group of girls with independent thoughts and personalities.

To sum up, the two films show the themes of pursuing dreams, freedom and independence to audiences from different cultural backgrounds of east and west. Moreover, through the comparison of the two films in different historical backgrounds, we can also feel the profound influence of the times on people. Furthermore, the protagonists in both films achieve self-growth and find their own identity and identity. Although the result is different, but in a way, the two films gives us inspiration and encouragement, and also makes us understand how meaningful it is for us to bravely pursue ourselves when we face difficulties.

Re: Historical Backgrounds and Personal Pursuits

Post by 1035143406 »

Dear Zhang,
First of all, thanksfor this opportunity to communicate with each other.
I think your film reviews have clear ideas and rich language. And the analysis points captured by the film reviews are also in place.
Your film reviews mainly focus on the theme of the two films, the pursuit of the heroine and the historical background of the film, and finally elaborate on your self-feelings.
In the character analysis, you think that Wang Cailing epitomizes the pursuit of personal goals by millions of people in developed cities. On this aspect, I don't quite agree, because in the film Wang Cailing is actually a music teacher in a small city and wants to live in a developed city to realize her dream. So I think Wang Cailing should be the epitome of many people in small cities pursuing to live in big cities and realize their dreams. But this may also be due to our different understanding.
In terms of the theme of the film, I think your analysis is very reasonable. China's reform and opening up at that time gave many people the courage to pursue their own destiny.
Our views on the pursuit of freedom are very similar, that is, although Joan finally chose the family in Mona Lisa Smile, this is the life she desires. So we all believe that women's freedom is to pursue what they really want, not to have to work independently.
In addition, I think you have done a good job in details, and there are very specific examples at the bottom of each point of view. Also, the design of the question at the beginning of each paragraph is attracting, so that us readers are willing to know more. And it can better guide the reader to read and think further about the article.
Finally, I hope you can also think more deeply about the film from other aspects of the film.
Yours
Lin

Post by 1578267199 »

Dear Lin,
Thank you very much for your appreciation and praise of our film review. I also feel honored to have the opportunity to discuss with you. Thank you very much for pointing out the defects in my opinion, which has benefited me a lot. Indeed, it is accurate to say that Wang Cailing should be a microcosm of many people in small cities pursuing to live and realize their dreams in big cities, because many people in big cities have better conditions than her and are more likely to succeed. In addition, I think it is necessary for us to think from other aspects of the film. I would like to hear your specific ideas on this aspect, and I am looking forward to communicating with you.
Yours
Zhang Peiyun
skw5377

Post by skw5377 »

Hi Zhang,
I'm glad to have the opportunity to exchange with you.
Your essay was a well-written analysis that demonstrated clear understanding of the films and their historical contexts.
I liked that you started the essay with questions in order to engage the reader and introduce the topics that you will be covering.
Your essay appears to be very reliant on historical context. The reforms in China and the WWII in America were the reasoning behind the mindset of the people of the times and because of it, Cailing and Katherine were faced with societal challenges. You also explain how because of the historical context, the characters in the films are seeking freedom. In Mona Lisa Smile it is because they are always returning home, and in And the Spring Comes, Cailing is able to pursue her dreams due to the reforms at the time.
Your interpretation of the different pursuits in the films was also very intriguing to me. From watching films, I just felt as though the characters were pursuing their dreams, which I feel is still accurate, but rather general. I do find that you are correct when you say that Cailing is pursuing her independent career goal to be a singer and actress, whereas the characters in Mona Lisa Smile are trying to break away from the standards set by society.
Although I understood your overall message when it came to the aspect of freedom, I did not fully comprehend Cailing's example. What do you mean by "In addition to her love for art, the deeper reason is that she can acquire a sense of spiritual superiority, which comforts her to be different from the ordinary people"? What is this spiritual superiority she feels and why does she feel this way?
Overall, this was a good essay and you were able to defend all of your arguments with examples and history.
Let me know if you have any other questions and comments for me!

From,
Sarah

Post by 1578267199 »

Hi Sarah
Thank you very much for your love and comments on my article. I am very encouraged. I would like to give you a detailed answer to your question that "In addition to her love of art, the deeper reason is that she can acquire a sense of spiritual superiority and make her feel different". First of all, people around Wang Cailing all reflect a sense of vulgarity of the small people, who live a happy-go-lucky life, unable to understand the spiritual world of Wang Cailing. In fact, Wang's heart is also deeply disgusted with the life around her. As a result, when she pursues her dream of art, she can convince herself that she is different from the people around her, she is not vulgar and is more disillusioned than they are. Finally, I hope to have further communication with you, which can help us make progress together.
From
Zhang Peiyun

Post by 1035143406 »

Hi Zhang,
You mentioned in your article that Americans' call for women to return home is closely related to the traditional American view of women and the shadow of the Cold War.
I would like to ask what is the specific relationship between American' call for women to return home and the shadow of the Cold War?
I am a little confused and looking for your answer.
From
Lin
oum64
University: Penn State University

Post by oum64 »

Zhang,

This was a wonderfully written and detailed analysis of the films that shows the side of what feminism truly means. My favorite portion of your writing was when you stated, "no matter what kind of choice, as long as they really want, should be respected. This is the true meaning of female freedom". This idea was the mainstream thought of the feminist movement in America. If a woman wanted a career, she should be able to have one. If a woman wanted to be a housewife, she should be able to be one. The notion of actually having a respected choice is what feminism truly is.

For me, I personally would like a bit more on what you think about the American ideology of women 'returning home'. I was a little confused and I think if you elaborate further on your conclusion of the first part of your paper, your arguement would be a bit stronger.

I look forward to hearing more about your ideas and philosophies that you have presented in your paper!

All the best,
Olivia Myers :)

Post by 1035143406 »

Dear Zhang and Xiao,
I am very glad to enjoy your article. I have some views on the profound theme. I don't know what you think.
As for the similarity of the social background of the two films, I think it is still due to the prejudice against the status of women at that time. At that time, both China and the United States were very strict with women, and Westerners valued what women's knowledge and ability could provide for their husbands. For example, in the Mona Lisa's smile, the etiquette teacher taught the female students that you should give your husband selfless help, and your behavior affected the change of your husband's position. On the other hand, China seems to pay more attention to the appearance and status of women. Chinese men always tend to be young, beautiful and respectable women, and the ugliness of Wang Cailing's appearance is also a factor that leads to her not getting the happiness she wants.
The above is my opinion, and I am very glad to continue to communicate with you.
Yours,
Zhou hanying :D

Post by 1578267199 »

Dear Zhou
I am so glad to have the opportunity to communicate with you about the movie review.
The plot of the two films is that middle-aged women need to resist huge external pressure when pursuing their career dreams. The subjects such as women’s empowerment, social and physical mobility and the cultural difference are what i can read from the two movies. From where i stand, the beauty of a woman may have an influence on the realization of her dream, but the most important factor is the social status of women. Sometimes it's just the inapparent clothes and make-up that shape the image of Wang Cailing, a bottom woman who failed to continue to pursue her career.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Yours,
Shuyou Xiao
skw5377

Post by skw5377 »

Dear Zhang Peiyun,
Thank you for your explanation, it does clear up my confusion on the topic of spiritual superiority.
Towards the end of the paper you also mention that, "Besides, the fate of the three protagonists in the film is also related to the social objective conditions of the time." It interesting to to see that you found three protagonists in the films. The obvious ones are Cailing and Katherine; was the third Joan, I assume? Although she was a minor character, she did have a significant impact the Katherine's life and the overall story.
Your paper is really well written and it is hard for me to find much fault.
However, let me know if you have any other comments or questions for me.
From,
Sarah