"Frames" and "Bicycles"

Qirong S.

"Frames" and "Bicycles"

Post by Qirong S. »

"Frames" and "Bicycles": Analysis of the Images in the film And the Spring Comes and Mona Lisa's Smile

Image is a kind of symbol that the author uses concrete things to simulate the content of art in literary works. "Image" is similar to Aristotle's "Metaphor" in poetics, that is, to find similarities between different things. The image USES the pictographic objects in the objective nature as the medium to indicate the hidden subjective consciousness and its value and significance. The film is a visual art, in which the world of images can be called the world of "metaphor". In the films And the Spring Comes and Mona Lisa's Smile, the director also uses images to express the theme. In the film And the Spring Comes, one of the most frequently used images is "frame", which is used by the director to express that the protagonist Wang Cailing's pursuit of ideals is heavily hindered and constrained. In the film "Mona Lisa's smile", the image of bicycle is borrowed by the director to express the theme that the film's protagonist Catherine makes female students choose their way of life without relying on external forces through education.

Frames and Constraints

The theme of And the Spring Comes is not the ideal, but the process of pursuing the ideal, the contradiction between the dream and the reality, as well as the process of the dream and the disillusionment of the little people at the bottom of the society. The film takes the underclass as the protagonist, and focuses on the plight of their survival in the process of pursuing their dreams. Frames have appeared many times in the film. The space contained in the frame is defined by lines to a limited scope, and human activities are limited in a limited space.

In the first frame shot, Ms. Wang tried to apply for her place of domicile in Beijing with the rmb30 thousand yuan she had saved through frugality, while she has her dream of becoming an opera singer. She stood on the square looking at Tiananmen, but between her and Tiananmen there is an iron fence. The iron fence is a framework, which limits her to the ideal life she pursues, and is a barrier between her and the ideal. In the second frame shot, after Wang Cailing was rejected for a job at the Central music Institute, she sang loudly in the corridor to express her frustration. The picture was shown to the audience by the director is a frame composed of the door and walls of the office, which encircled Wang Cailing in her pursuit of artistic ideals. Such a picture gives the audience the impression that Wang Cailing was in the bondage of her artistic pursuit. No matter how hard she struggled, she could not escape from the barriers of reality.

In the third frame shot, Wang Cailing sincerely loves Huang Sibao. After the disillusionment of love and her relentless humiliation by Huang Sibao, Wang Cailing tries to commit suicide by jumping off a building that night. In this scene, we see that Wang Cailing, who attempted suicide, is still confined to the frame by the director with the corridor door. She tried to escape these social constraints by committing suicide, but the result was that she broke her feet. She was still stuck in the real world, unable to escape.

In the fourth frame shot, Wang uses up the money she used to apply for domicile in Beijing to help the "cancer-stricken" Gao Beibei realize her dream of becoming famous by winning a singing contest. She was so happy to hug and cry with Gao, but Gao told Wang that she didn't have cancer. After her dream of becoming a people of Peking and working at the central music institute was shattered, Wang went home to spend the Spring Festival with her parents. The warmth of her family seemed to revive Wang's hopes for life. Leaving her parents' home, she sat with a flock of sheep in an iron cage and returned to her own home. This iron cage is another frame, which was borrowed by the director to express the image of Wang Cailing's life dilemma. Wang Cailing still could not get rid of the shackles of the "framework" of real life, but Wang Cailing's eyes in the picture looked at the distance quietly and peacefully, and the iron fence of reality also took her away from her dream.

The fifth scene without frame, Wang Cailing came to Tiananmen Square again with her adopted daughter Xiaofan. This time, the iron fence that once separated her from Tiananmen has disappeared and Wang was no longer the person who once pursued the ideal of art. By then, Wang Cailing had recognized the reality of the society, she broke through the shackles of reality and she chose to use maternal love to achieve self-salvation. She adopted an orphan with a harelip. She sold mutton on the street for a living, cured her daughter of harelip, and sang her daughter's nursery rhymes with her wonderful operatic voice.

Like Wang Cailing, there are many people who pursue artistic ideals. Some of them in the pursuit of ideals in the process of destruction, as Huang Sibao repeatedly attended the central academy of fine arts and not in the case of the choice to use deceptive means to make money; Some in the pursuit of ideals in the process of distorted personality, like Hu Jinquan, the use of crime to prove that he is a normal person. Only Wang Cailing, after recognizing the gap between the ideal and reality, still choose to live their own wonderful, live their own life. Because she didn't want to live on in degradation.

Bicycle and the Pursuit of Ideals

A bicycle is a means of transportation that requires a person to walk on it. In the film Mona Lisa’s Smile, the bicycle was also an image borrowed by the director to express the theme. The image of bicycle expresses that Catherine, the protagonist, does give in to the inherent tradition of society and always walked on the road of pursuing female liberation. At the beginning of the film, Katherine says, “I came to Wesleyan girls' school to change things.” The repeated appearance of bicycle image in the film expresses Catherine's opposition to the teaching concept that Wesley Women's College only trains qualified housewives, and her constant pursuit of female independence.

The first shot about the bicycle image, Catherine's first class at Wellesley College was very unsuccessful. Challenges from students, questions from the school, and the cold weather put a lot of pressure on Katharine. At this time, the first bicycle appeared in the film. On a dark night on a dark road, Catherine rode the bicycle alone to eat in the shop. The director used such image to show Catherine's lonely insistence on her ideals in the conservative Wesleyan college.

The second shot about the bicycle image, in the campus under the autumn sunshine, a girl arrived at Catherine's residence on her bicycle, and the sunshine covered her face. The girl with the sunlit face was Joan, who excelled in Catherine's class. Catherine helped jean qualify for Yale to become a lawyer, not a housewife. The director used such an image to express the change of Catherine's education mode to students, and the image of bicycle represented Catherine's constant pursuit of ideals.

The third picture about the bicycle image, the second year's teacher appointment began. The number of students who choose to study the courses taught by Catherine was the largest in the university. However, the school authorities objected to Catherine's teaching philosophy and teaching methods, and proposed that the precondition of employment was that Catherine must provide teaching documents before the beginning of the semester and modify them in accordance with the school's review opinions. As an ideal suitor, Catherine wanted to change the teaching philosophy of the school to cultivate women into qualified housewives. She refused the request of the school and chose to leave. At the end of the film, as Katherine drives away from Westley, her students ride bikes in academic gowns, chasing their teacher along. The image of bicycle here shows that although the school refuses to change the teaching concept of training women into excellent male accessories, Catherine's pursuit of freedom and self-hood has sown the seeds of freedom in their hearts.

In the both of the films, the director succeeded in using imagery to reinforce the topos of the film. The recurring frame images in the film And the Spring Comes suggested that Wang was stymied in her pursuit of her ideals, but she finally broke out of the framework that bound her and achieved rebirth. In the film of Mona Lisa Smile, the images of bicycle in the film, had gone beyond the concept of concrete itself, endowed with special meaning, by the director of women true liberation was undisturbed independent ability to choose the path, his choice of a better life comes not from outside force, but from the inner drive.
Frames are for breaking, ideals are for pursuing. Wang Cailing and Catherine, no matter how ugly or beautiful their appearance is, no matter how different their social backgrounds are, are worthy of respect for their persistence and uncompromising in the pursuit of their ideals.
Taylor H.

Re: "Frames" and "Bicycles"

Post by Taylor H. »

Qirong S,

This essay about the imagery of frames and bicycles in both films was incredibly informative and unique. Overall, the organization of this essay made it easy to read. The sections and the use of "first, second, and third..." helped the reader follow the different points of the essay. While I agree with the points made about frames in And the Spring Comes, the word choice of "frames" is a bit confusing. It doesn't become clear to the reader that these frames are actually doorways and fences. Since most of the "frames" you mention include gates/fences and doors, consider finding another word that would be more clear to readers at first glance.

In terms of organization, I would also suggest placing the final paragraph before the second to last paragraph as this reorganization will better conclude the essay.

When thinking about the use of bicycles in the last scene in Mona Lisa Smile, I thought it was interesting how her students biked after her while she rode in a car.

I believe that the immense detail in this essay shows your strong attention to detail when it came to analyzing the significance of the symbols. Great work. I don't think there are many changes you will need to make to this essay as you have wrote a strong piece already. Just clarifying the frames in particular will greatly improve your essay. Looking forward to your revisions.

-Taylor
Chris L.
University: Penn State

Post by Chris L. »

Qirong,

I really enjoy your creative, albeit sometimes vague, use of the word "frame." If I understand correctly, the "frames" are referring to the general perspective of the camera, which features "frame-like" objects like doors, fences, etc. In others, you are describing a camera filming that emphasize constriction. This is indeed a huge factor in And the Spring Comes, although I do think that Cailing's frustration was expressed in a different method than what yo described of a frame of "...doors and walls..," there is no doubt camera perspective is a central part in the realist undertones of the movie. I am curious to what you think of the ending of the movie. In your words, you call it a "..salvation...," and yet I personally see some sadder themes as well. In my case, the "Frame" is the Tienanmen Arch instead, the area is filled with smog and hazy, and Cailing is insignificant among the hundreds of people in the background. Do you think that she is truly happy where she is?

I am also interested in the idea of bikes being a driving form of symbolism for Mona Lisa Smile. Is it the bicycle that truly drives the iconoclastic ideas that Katharine has? Or was it just simply the most optimal form of transportation in a College in the 1950s? Additionally, your point on Joan made be contrasted with the fact that she actually chose to be a housewife instead, however you could restructure your point to saying that now she has done it of her own volition, rather than societal pressures. I agree with your analysis, but I think they are exemplified through the bicycle.

Let me know what you think,

Chris
Qirong S.

Post by Qirong S. »

Taylor H. wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:56 pm Qirong S,

This essay about the imagery of frames and bicycles in both films was incredibly informative and unique. Overall, the organization of this essay made it easy to read. The sections and the use of "first, second, and third..." helped the reader follow the different points of the essay. While I agree with the points made about frames in And the Spring Comes, the word choice of "frames" is a bit confusing. It doesn't become clear to the reader that these frames are actually doorways and fences. Since most of the "frames" you mention include gates/fences and doors, consider finding another word that would be more clear to readers at first glance.

In terms of organization, I would also suggest placing the final paragraph before the second to last paragraph as this reorganization will better conclude the essay.

When thinking about the use of bicycles in the last scene in Mona Lisa Smile, I thought it was interesting how her students biked after her while she rode in a car.

I believe that the immense detail in this essay shows your strong attention to detail when it came to analyzing the significance of the symbols. Great work. I don't think there are many changes you will need to make to this essay as you have wrote a strong piece already. Just clarifying the frames in particular will greatly improve your essay. Looking forward to your revisions.

-Taylor
Dear Taylor,
Taylor H. wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:56 pm Qirong S,

-Taylor
Taylor,
I am very grateful to you for reading my article and giving me Suggestions for revision.
As for the structure of the article, you suggested me to adjust the layout of the paragraphs, which I think is a good suggestion.As for the intention in the film -- "framework", I also think this concept needs to be explained more to help me further clarify the theme.
Thank you for your advice again.

Qirong
Taylor H.

Post by Taylor H. »

Qirong S,

I'm glad you plan to use my suggestions to clarify your essay further. Doing so will make it easier for the reader to understand since you have such an interesting take on the two movies and their use of symbolism. Like I mentioned, I think adjusting the wording of "frames" to "gates" or "doors" could be a simple change that would immensely clarify what specific symbols are used. In terms of organization, finding a way to incorporate the last two sentences into the previous concluding paragraph would strengthen the impact of the closing remarks.
Qirong S.

Re: Chris

Post by Qirong S. »

Chris,
Thank you very much for reading and commenting on my article. Below are some of my thoughts to share with you.

I also think the film And the Spring Comes is tragic, the whole movie gives people a feeling of oppression. What the film presents is the reality that some little people pursue their artistic ideal but cannot achieve them due to various reasons and restrictions in the late 1980s and early 1990s, in a small city in China. But Wang Cailing is different from other people is that she did not drag out an ignoble existence, although the ideal cannot become a reality. She did not degenerate into living by cheating others like Huang Sibao, nor did she live by taking extreme measures to distort herself like Hu Jinquan.

In my opinion, what the director expresses in this film is Wang Cailing's approval and respect for her " NOT be resigned to circumstances " life attitude. ("be resigned to circumstances" means to do something against one's heart, morality and law for the sake of immediate interests.) Wang Cailing said:" I'm just a little strange, a little unwilling." This kind of strange, I think is her attitude toward life,which is not “be resigned to circumstances “.

Wang Cailing hopes to become the person that has Beijing census register, hope to be shown on the stage of Paris Opera House and yearns for love. Wang Cailing did not plan to have love in this small town originally, however, she changed this kind of viewpoint after meeting Huang Sibao. She sincerely loves Huang Sibao and is willing to give up her dream of being a Beijing resident for him. Life gives Miss Wang sorts of obstacles, but she still holds to her life belief of “not drift along muddle along(不苟且偷生)".

There are three examples to prove Wang's attitude towards life. The first thing: After her love for Huang was shattered, Wang didn't accept Zhou Yu's proposal. The Second: Hu Jinquan hopes to become a normal person in others' eyes by getting married. Hu Jinquan wanted Wang Cailing to marry him, but Wang refused. Wang Cailing said: "If one day I can't hold on," she said, "I'll just casually marry someone." The third thing: After her hopes of becoming an opera singer and being a Beijing native were dashed, Ms. Wang wanted to marry and start a family. Wang Cailing wanted to find someone who does academic research to be her husband through a marriage agency. Wang failed to find her ideal marriage partner and eventually adopted a child to start her own family. Wang didn't violate her own heart, morality and law for the sake of immediate interests (that is, to be a normal person in the eyes of others, for love and family).

The life belief of “not drift along muddle along", which is Wang Cailing deserves respect and is the topos of the film.

This kind of life attitude, that is, not to go against their own heart, moral and legal life attitude for the immediate temporary interests, is what Wang Cailing is worthy of respect, but also the film to express the values. At the end of the film, Wang finally put on a gorgeous costume and sang an opera on the stage, with the caption "This film is dedicated to Wang Cailing". I prefer to think that the director of the film respected Wang Cailing's attitude of "not drift along muddle along" rather than think it was Wang Cailing who finally realized her artistic ideal.

I used to raise silkworms when I was a child. After growing up, the silkworm spits out silk to tightly wrap itself up and turn into a silkworm chrysalis. Some silkworm chrysalis could drill a small hole in the cocoon to escape, into a moth; Some silkworm pupae could not drill a small hole but died in the cocoon. Wang is the former, she broke through the obstacles and constraints given by the environment. She did not change her attitude towards life because of the disillusionment but chose to live a normal life. From her dream of becoming an opera performer to becoming an ordinary mother, Wang Cailing is just like a silkworm chrysalis turning into a moth. Becoming an ordinary person is another state of her life. Huang Sibao and Hu Jinquan belong to the latter. They did not break through the constraints of the social environment to become the ideal implementer or a normal person but lived in a distorted way under the constraints of the social environment.

In the article, I put forward that "frame" is the image used by the director to express the topos. Perhaps frame is better described as a lens or frames. I agree with you.

I proposed that in the film Mona Lisa Smile, "bicycle" is an image borrowed by the director to express the topos. There is no doubt that the bicycle was a means of transportation in that era. The bicycle and the film's topos, Katherine's persistent pursuit of ideal, also have similarities. Cyclists are just like ideal pursuers, as long as they insist on making efforts, they will move forward. People can get to our destination by riding bicycles. Similarly, Katherine insisted on teaching students with new teaching concepts, thus changing the teaching concept of "let women be excellent housewives" of this noble women's college and the stale social concept that "women are just appendages of men". Katherine hopes that her students can think freely, become the kind of person they want to be, and bravely pursue their own career and love and life. The person on the bicycle is yourself, and the destination is where you want to be. Riders can move, stop, turn left or right as they wish.

Katherine wants her students like autonomous cyclists to pursue the life they truly want: the freedom to work, the freedom to be housewife, the freedom to marry or the freedom to divorce.

Katherine left Wellesley Women's College because she did not want to give up her principles and ideals, and she did not want to accept the school's teaching methods and philosophy in order to stay. Katherine, like Wang Cailing, is not willing to go against their own heart for the sake of immediate interests, which is also an attitude of discontent.

Katherine left Wellesley Women's College, but her ideas about free thinking and making your own decisions about life are deeply rooted in the students' minds. So, at the end of the movie, the students are chasing Katherine on their bikes. This is exactly the attitude that Katherine wants her students to have: to be the master of their own lives and to take life in their own hands, rather than the appendage of men.

Chris, I really appreciate your question. It's your question that makes me think about the topos of the movie again. Looking forward to more discussions with you.

Qirong
Chris L.
University: Penn State

Re: Chris

Post by Chris L. »

Qirong S. wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:40 pm Chris,
Thank you very much for reading and commenting on my article. Below are some of my thoughts to share with you.

I also think the film And the Spring Comes is tragic, the whole movie gives people a feeling of oppression. What the film presents is the reality that some little people pursue their artistic ideal but cannot achieve them due to various reasons and restrictions in the late 1980s and early 1990s, in a small city in China. But Wang Cailing is different from other people is that she did not drag out an ignoble existence, although the ideal cannot become a reality. She did not degenerate into living by cheating others like Huang Sibao, nor did she live by taking extreme measures to distort herself like Hu Jinquan.

In my opinion, what the director expresses in this film is Wang Cailing's approval and respect for her " NOT be resigned to circumstances " life attitude. ("be resigned to circumstances" means to do something against one's heart, morality and law for the sake of immediate interests.) Wang Cailing said:" I'm just a little strange, a little unwilling." This kind of strange, I think is her attitude toward life,which is not “be resigned to circumstances “.

Wang Cailing hopes to become the person that has Beijing census register, hope to be shown on the stage of Paris Opera House and yearns for love. Wang Cailing did not plan to have love in this small town originally, however, she changed this kind of viewpoint after meeting Huang Sibao. She sincerely loves Huang Sibao and is willing to give up her dream of being a Beijing resident for him. Life gives Miss Wang sorts of obstacles, but she still holds to her life belief of “not drift along muddle along(不苟且偷生)".

There are three examples to prove Wang's attitude towards life. The first thing: After her love for Huang was shattered, Wang didn't accept Zhou Yu's proposal. The Second: Hu Jinquan hopes to become a normal person in others' eyes by getting married. Hu Jinquan wanted Wang Cailing to marry him, but Wang refused. Wang Cailing said: "If one day I can't hold on," she said, "I'll just casually marry someone." The third thing: After her hopes of becoming an opera singer and being a Beijing native were dashed, Ms. Wang wanted to marry and start a family. Wang Cailing wanted to find someone who does academic research to be her husband through a marriage agency. Wang failed to find her ideal marriage partner and eventually adopted a child to start her own family. Wang didn't violate her own heart, morality and law for the sake of immediate interests (that is, to be a normal person in the eyes of others, for love and family).

The life belief of “not drift along muddle along", which is Wang Cailing deserves respect and is the topos of the film.

This kind of life attitude, that is, not to go against their own heart, moral and legal life attitude for the immediate temporary interests, is what Wang Cailing is worthy of respect, but also the film to express the values. At the end of the film, Wang finally put on a gorgeous costume and sang an opera on the stage, with the caption "This film is dedicated to Wang Cailing". I prefer to think that the director of the film respected Wang Cailing's attitude of "not drift along muddle along" rather than think it was Wang Cailing who finally realized her artistic ideal.

I used to raise silkworms when I was a child. After growing up, the silkworm spits out silk to tightly wrap itself up and turn into a silkworm chrysalis. Some silkworm chrysalis could drill a small hole in the cocoon to escape, into a moth; Some silkworm pupae could not drill a small hole but died in the cocoon. Wang is the former, she broke through the obstacles and constraints given by the environment. She did not change her attitude towards life because of the disillusionment but chose to live a normal life. From her dream of becoming an opera performer to becoming an ordinary mother, Wang Cailing is just like a silkworm chrysalis turning into a moth. Becoming an ordinary person is another state of her life. Huang Sibao and Hu Jinquan belong to the latter. They did not break through the constraints of the social environment to become the ideal implementer or a normal person but lived in a distorted way under the constraints of the social environment.

In the article, I put forward that "frame" is the image used by the director to express the topos. Perhaps frame is better described as a lens or frames. I agree with you.

I proposed that in the film Mona Lisa Smile, "bicycle" is an image borrowed by the director to express the topos. There is no doubt that the bicycle was a means of transportation in that era. The bicycle and the film's topos, Katherine's persistent pursuit of ideal, also have similarities. Cyclists are just like ideal pursuers, as long as they insist on making efforts, they will move forward. People can get to our destination by riding bicycles. Similarly, Katherine insisted on teaching students with new teaching concepts, thus changing the teaching concept of "let women be excellent housewives" of this noble women's college and the stale social concept that "women are just appendages of men". Katherine hopes that her students can think freely, become the kind of person they want to be, and bravely pursue their own career and love and life. The person on the bicycle is yourself, and the destination is where you want to be. Riders can move, stop, turn left or right as they wish.

Katherine wants her students like autonomous cyclists to pursue the life they truly want: the freedom to work, the freedom to be housewife, the freedom to marry or the freedom to divorce.

Katherine left Wellesley Women's College because she did not want to give up her principles and ideals, and she did not want to accept the school's teaching methods and philosophy in order to stay. Katherine, like Wang Cailing, is not willing to go against their own heart for the sake of immediate interests, which is also an attitude of discontent.

Katherine left Wellesley Women's College, but her ideas about free thinking and making your own decisions about life are deeply rooted in the students' minds. So, at the end of the movie, the students are chasing Katherine on their bikes. This is exactly the attitude that Katherine wants her students to have: to be the master of their own lives and to take life in their own hands, rather than the appendage of men.

Chris, I really appreciate your question. It's your question that makes me think about the topos of the movie again. Looking forward to more discussions with you.

Qirong
Hi Qirong, thanks for delineating your thoughts to my questions, it cleared many things up for me. I appreciate you taking the time to view And The Spring Comes through a more tragic lens, but also providing your own personal feedback. Your connection to your own personal experiences with silkworms brought up a new perspective for me, perhaps I was too pessimistic in my viewpoints. I do believe Cailing, in her own sense, was able to break through many barriers, and her refusal for a fake marriage as a point of character development definitely does point to this, thank you for bringing that up.

After your explanation on the image of the bicycle, I am more inclined to agree with your analysis, if you choose to revise your essay I would suggest putting that expansion of thought you replied to me with in, as it undoubtedly strengthens your point. Additionally, your points on Katherine could be used to bolster your ending arguments as well.

Other than some small grammar issues, your essay is extremely strong after slight edits.
Qirong S.

Post by Qirong S. »

Hi Chris, Thank you very much for taking the time to read my article and for your advice. I will take your advice and revise my article.Qirong
Qirong S.

Post by Qirong S. »

Hi Taylor! Thank you for reading my reply. Thank you for giving me the suggestion to change "frame" to "door". I will think about it again and think about how to express it better. With your Suggestions, I think my essay will get better and better.
Qirong
Qirong S.

Revised article: Comparative analysis of topos and images about And The Spring Comes and Mona Lisa Smile

Post by Qirong S. »

Qirong Sun
English 471
Prof. Xiaoye You
April 26, 2019

Comparative analysis of topos and images
about And The Spring Comes and Mona Lisa Smile
And The Spring Comes is a Chinese drama film directed by Changwei Gu. Mona Lisa Smile is an American film directed by Mike Newell. The protagonists of both films are women, and the theme of both films is about the pursuit of ideas. The former describes the inspirational process of a group of young people with artistic ideals in a small city in China, as well as the final disillusionment and their own ending. The latter tells the story of America in 1953 when The Times was in transition. Catherine, a female teacher graduated from the University of California, Berkeley, came to Wesleyan women's college, known as the "ivy league without men", to teach art history. Catherine, full of ideas and enthusiasm, boldly challenged the stale teaching concept of the story.

The two films are about feminist themes on the surface, but this is not the case. The protagonists of the film are all women, the theme is all tell the stories about women's pursuit of ideas that have not been realized under specific circumstances. I agree that Mona Lisa Smile is about feminism. However, Wang ceiling in And The Spring Comes is bound by reality, and the male characters in the film also face the same dilemma. What these two films have in common is that even if the ideal pursued by wang ceiling and Catherine is not realized, they do not violate their heart, morality, and law for the sake of immediate interests. This is the attitude of "struggling to live", which is the consistent theme of the two films.

The film narrates the development of the story and the fate of the characters. As an audio-visual art, movies also use theme-related "imagery" to reinforce the theme of the film. "And The Spring Comes" chooses to limit the characters in the "limited space" to express the constraints and the disappearance of "limited space" to express the breakthrough of the protagonist. "Mona Lisa Smile" chooses to use the repeated "bicycles" picture to express the process that Catherine changes students' free thinking and free choice of life. The development of the story plot and the repeated appearance of the film's "image" interweave together, effectively expressing the director's respect for Wang Ceiling and Catherine's attitude of "struggling to live".

1 Even if the ideal is shattered, do not choose "drag out an ignoble existence"
1.1Wang Ceiling: I'd rather have a bite of fresh peaches than a basket of rotten apricots

What the film presents is the reality that some little people pursue their artistic ideal but cannot achieve them due to various reasons and restrictions in the late 1980s and early 1990s, in a small city in China. But Wang Ceiling is different from other people is that she did not drag out an ignoble existence, although the ideal cannot become a reality. She did not degenerate into living by cheating others like Huang Sibao, nor did she live by taking extreme measures to distort herself like Hu Jinquan.

What the director expresses in this film is Wang Ceiling's approval and respect for her " NOT be resigned to circumstances " life attitude. ("be resigned to circumstances" means to do something against one's heart, morality and law for the sake of immediate interests.) Wang Ceiling said:" I'm just a little strange, a little unwilling." This kind of strange, I think is her attitude toward life,which is not “be resigned to circumstances”.
Wang Ceiling hopes to become the person that has the Beijing census register, hope to be shown on the stage of Paris Opera House and yearns for love. Wang Ceiling did not plan to have love in this small town originally, however, she changed this kind of viewpoint after meeting Huang Sibao. She sincerely loves Huang Sibao and is willing to give up her dream of being a Beijing resident for him. Life gives Miss Wang sorts of obstacles, but she still holds to her life belief of "not drift along muddle along(不苟且偷生)".

Wang wants to sing opera on the stage of the Paris opera house, but that dream is far from her. She sang opera in her hometown square, but the citizens of the small town could not understand such elegant art. She wants to get a job at a music college, even as a temporary worker, but it is impossible because she does not have a Beijing hukou. Wang Ceiling lacks a ladder to her dream. Life gave wang Ceiling to set all sorts of the obstacle, she did not realize the ideal that sings opera, did not obtain the love that she yearns for, did not find ideal sweetheart, but still hold to oneself "not drift along with muddle along" life belief.
There are three examples to prove Wang's attitude towards life. The first thing: After her love for Huang was shattered, Wang didn't accept Zhou Yu's proposal. The Second: Hu Jinquan hopes to become a normal person in others' eyes by getting married. Hu Jinquan wanted Wang Ceiling to marry him, but Wang refused. Wang Ceiling said: "If one day I can't hold on," she said, "I'll just casually marry someone." The third thing: After her hopes of becoming an opera singer and being a Beijing native were dashed, Ms. Wang wanted to marry and start a family. Wang Ceiling wanted to find someone who does academic research to be her husband through a marriage agency. Wang failed to find her ideal marriage partner and eventually adopted a child to start her own family. Wang didn't violate her own heart, morality, and law for the sake of immediate interests (that is, to be a normal person in the eyes of others, for love and family).

I used to raise silkworms when I was a child. After growing up, the silkworm spits out silk to tightly wrap itself up and turn into a silkworm chrysalis. Some silkworm chrysalis could drill a small hole in the cocoon to escape, into a moth; Some silkworm pupae could not drill a small hole but died in the cocoon. Wang is the former, she broke through the obstacles and constraints given by the environment. She did not change her attitude towards life because of the disillusionment but chose to live a normal life. From her dream of becoming an opera performer to becoming an ordinary mother, Wang Ceiling is just like a silkworm chrysalis turning into a moth. Becoming an ordinary person is another state of her life. Huang Sibao and Hu Jinquan belong to the latter. They did not break through the constraints of the social environment to become the ideal implementer or a normal person but lived in a distorted way under the constraints of the social environment.

After Wang Ceiling's ideal hit a wall under the constraints of reality, she did not violate her own heart, morality, and law for the sake of immediate interests, that is, to become a normal person in the eyes of others, to obtain love, to have a family and so on. The theme of the movie is to praise Wang Ceiling's "Not willing to drag out an ignoble existence"(不苟且偷生) attitude and her noble personality.
Who is Wang Ceiling? Wang Ceiling is you, Wang Ceiling is me, Wang Ceiling is an ordinary person who is not willing to settle for a mediocre life and pursue her dream alone. She is out of tune with the environment. She is a fighter who refuses to surrender to the enemy and the dilemma. She is the epitome of everyone who struggles between the ideal and the reality. At the end of the film, Wang finally puts on a gorgeous costume and sang an opera on the stage, with the caption "This film is dedicated to Wang Ceiling". I prefer to think that the director of the film respected Wang Ceiling's attitude of "not drift along muddle along" rather than think it was Wang Ceiling who finally realized her artistic ideal.

1.2 Although the road ahead is long and long, I will not be dauntless and spare no effort to pursue the ideal.
Gender endows women with the role of reproduction and class endows women with the position of depending on men for survival. In the United States in the 1950s, the women's liberation movement had begun, and women's social status was gradually valued. In fact, women are seen as subservient to men. Wesleyan women's college is known as the "ivy league without men".The school's teaching philosophy is "women should serve men," and its goal is to prepare students to be "qualified wives."Catherine, a young and beautiful female teacher who was educated in the European feminist movement, came to the conservative Wesleyan Women's College. She struggled with the outdated teaching philosophy of the school and guided students to discover and liberate themselves.

At the beginning of the film, Katherine says, "I'm here to change." In the teaching process, Catherine did not follow the traditional teaching style of the school like other teachers but spread the idea of openness and freedom to her students through art education. Katherine encouraged the students to boldly challenge the tradition, explore their own interests, find the orientation of life again, and support them to practice their ideas, but Katherine's practice was criticized and challenged by the school. The principal and the board of directors threatened not to pass the examination, interfered in her normal teaching, and tried every means to reduce the influence of the maverick Katherine on students' independent thinking. Although Catherine's courses have been well received by students, with record Numbers signing up for the new semester, the school has imposed strict restrictions and regulations on her teaching to ensure that traditional education is not affected.

Katherine was not willing to accept the teaching method and philosophy of the school in order to stay. She chose to leave Wesleyan women's college to go to Europe to realize her teaching ideas about women's freedom and independence. Like wang ceiling, Katherine is unwilling to betray her own heart for the sake of immediate interests, which is also a life attitude of "Not willing to drag out an ignoble existence"(不苟且偷生).
2 Breakthrough and persistence, film image analysis
The image is a kind of symbol that the author uses concrete things to simulate the content of art in literary works. "Image" is similar to Aristotle's "Metaphor" in poetics, that is, to find similarities between different things. The image uses the pictographic objects in the objective nature as the medium to indicate the hidden subjective consciousness and its value and significance. The film is a visual art, in which the world of images can be called the world of "metaphor". Movies often use repeated images or objects as images to reinforce the theme.
In the films And The Spring Comes and Mona Lisa Smile, the two directors used the "limited space" and "bicycle" images to narrate the plot and express the theme.
2.1 "Frame" is a metaphor for the bondage of reality
One of the images used by the director inA is "frame". In the film, the closed space composed of doors and walls, corridors and corridors, fences and so on are shown for many times, which is used to express the limited narrow space scope of the characters' activities (I call it "frame"). The scope of "frame" is limited, and the range of activities of the characters within the "frame" is limited and not free. The picture of "frame" that appears in the film many times shows that Wang Ceiling's pursuit of ideas is hindered and constrained by the social environment. The appearance and disappearance of the image "frame" indicate the contradiction between the individual and the society, the bondage and the breakthrough of the pluralistic opposition.

In the first frame shot, Ms. Wang tried to apply for her place of domicile in Beijing with the rmb30 thousand yuan she had saved through frugality, while she has her dream of becoming an opera singer. She stood on the square looking at Tiananmen, but between her and Tiananmen there is an iron fence. The iron fence is a framework, which limits her to the ideal life she pursues and is a barrier between her and the ideal.
In the second frame shot, after Wang Ceiling was rejected for a job at the Central Music Institute, she sang loudly in the corridor to express her frustration. The picture was shown to the audience by the director is a frame composed of the door and walls of the office, which encircled Wang Ceiling in her pursuit of artistic ideals. Such a picture gives the audience the impression that Wang Ceiling was in the bondage of her artistic pursuit. No matter how hard she struggled, she could not escape from the barriers of reality.
In the third frame shot, Wang Ceiling sincerely loves Huang Sibao. After the disillusionment of love and her relentless humiliation by Huang Sibao, Wang Ceiling tries to commit suicide by jumping off a building that night. In this scene, we see that Wang Ceiling, who attempted suicide, is still confined to the frame by the director with the corridor door. She tried to escape these social constraints by committing suicide, but the result was that she broke her feet. She was still stuck in the real world, unable to escape.
In the fourth frame shot, Wang uses up the money she used to apply for a domicile in Beijing to help the "cancer-stricken" Gao Beibei realize her dream of becoming famous by winning a singing contest. She was so happy to hug and cry with Gao, but Gao told Wang that she didn't have cancer. After her dream of becoming a people of Peking and working at the central music institute was shattered, Wang went home to spend the Spring Festival with her parents. The warmth of her family seemed to revive Wang's hopes for life. Leaving her parents' home, she sat with a flock of sheep in an iron cage and returned to her own home. This iron cage is another frame, which was borrowed by the director to express the image of Wang Ceiling's life dilemma. Wang Ceiling still could not get rid of the shackles of the "framework" of real life, but Wang Ceiling's eyes in the picture looked at the distance quietly and peacefully, and the iron fence of reality also took her away from her dream.
The fifth scene without a frame, Wang Ceiling came to Tiananmen Square again with her adopted daughter Xiaofan. This time, the iron fence that once separated her from Tiananmen has disappeared and Wang was no longer the person who once pursued the ideal of art. By then, Wang Ceiling had recognized the reality of the society, she broke through the shackles of reality and she chose to use maternal love to achieve self-salvation. She adopted an orphan with a harelip. She sold mutton on the street for a living, cured her daughter of harelip, and sang her daughter's nursery rhymes with her wonderful operatic voice.
Like Wang Ceiling, there are many people who pursue artistic ideals. Some of them in the pursuit of ideals in the process of destruction, as Huang Sibao repeatedly attended the central academy of fine arts and not in the case of the choice to use deceptive means to make money; Some in the pursuit of ideals in the process of distorted personality, like Hu Jinquan, the use of crime to prove that he is a normal man. Only Wang Ceiling, after recognizing the gap between the ideal and reality, still choose to live their own wonderful, live their own life. Because she didn't want to live on in degradation.
Any change in the society is not achieved overnight, and Wang Ceiling's pursuit and the ideal of breaking the framework is not achieved in a day. Through the repetition of the picture of "limited space", the film expresses the process of Wang Ceiling's pursuit of ideal and conviction. Like the name of the movie "And The Spring Comes", the weather is still cold after the beginning of spring, but the smell of spring can be felt. Everything begins to stir, and the ice melts, and eventually, flowers fill the branches.
2.2 "Bicycle" is a metaphor for the constant pursuit of ideas

A bicycle is a means of transportation that requires a person to walk on it. In the film Mona Lisa’s Smile, the bicycle was also an image borrowed by the director to express the theme. The image of the bicycle expresses that Catherine, the protagonist, does give in to the inherent tradition of society and always walked on the road of pursuing female liberation. At the beginning of the film, Katherine says, “I came to Wesleyan girls' school to change things.” The repeated appearance of bicycle image in the film expresses Katherine's opposition to the teaching concept that Wesley Women's College only trains qualified housewives and her constant pursuit of female independence.
The repeated appearance of bicycle image in the film expresses Catherine's opposition to the teaching concept that Wesley Women's College only cultivates qualified housewives, and expresses her constant pursuit of female independence.

The first shot about the bicycle image, Katherine's first class at Wesley Women's College was very unsuccessful. Challenges from students, questions from the school, and the cold weather put a lot of pressure on Katharine. At this time, the first bicycle appeared in the film. On a dark night on a dark road, Katherine rode the bicycle alone to eat in the shop. The director used such an image to show Catherine's lonely insistence on her ideas in the conservative Wesleyan college.
The second shot about the bicycle image, in the campus under the autumn sunshine, a girl arrived at Catherine's residence on her bicycle, and the sunshine covered her face. The girl with the sunlit face was Joan, who excelled in Katherine's class. Catherine helped jean qualify for Yale to become a lawyer, not a housewife. The director used such an image to express the change of Katherine's education mode to students, and the image of the bicycle represented Katherine's constant pursuit of ideas.
The third picture about the bicycle image, the second year's teacher appointment began. The number of students who choose to study the courses taught by Katherine was the largest in the university. However, the school authorities objected to Katherine's teaching philosophy and teaching methods and proposed that the precondition of employment was that Katherine must provide teaching documents before the beginning of the semester and modify them in accordance with the school's review opinions. As an ideal suitor, Katherine wanted to change the teaching philosophy of the school to cultivate women into qualified housewives. She refused the request of the school and chose to leave. At the end of the film, as Katherine drives away from Wesley Women's College, her students ride bikes in academic gowns, chasing their teacher along. The image of the bicycle here shows that although the school refuses to change the teaching concept of training women into excellent male accessories, Katherine's pursuit of freedom and self-hood has sown the seeds of freedom in their hearts.
Katherine left Wellesley Women's College because she did not want to give up her principles and ideals, and she did not want to accept the school's teaching methods and philosophy in order to stay. Katherine, like Wang Ceiling, is not willing to go against their own heart for the sake of immediate interests, which is also an attitude of discontent.

Frames are for breaking, ideals are for pursuing. The recurring frames in the film "And The Spring Comes" show that wang is impeded in her pursuit of ideas, but she finally breaks the frames and realizes her rebirth. The image that contains "bicycle" appears many times in the movie "Mona Lisa Smile". "Bicycle" in the film has gone beyond the concept of its own specific image, and has been endowed with a special meaning by the director: The real liberation of women is their ability to independently choose their life path without external interference, and their choice for a better life comes not from external forces, but from internal self-drive.
Both films, from different countries and from different traditional cultures and social backgrounds, tell the story of the hero's pursuit of ideas.Wang Ceiling and Katharine, their ideal is in real fetters and handcuffs to fall eventually, also do not want to defy oneself original heart to cater to an environment and live. Such an attitude to life, not willing to drag out an ignoble existence, whether in the East or West, is worthy of praise and praise.