Feminism Through Art

Jiamin Z.

Feminism Through Art

Post by Jiamin Z. »

Feminism Through Art
– A Film Review of Mona Lisa Smile and And the Spring Comes

180127 赵珈敏 Jiamin Zhao

“You'll find the spirit of Caesar in a woman’s soul,” as artist Artemisia Gentileschi described herself. Contemporary art lacks no female artists. But not long before, there was a difficult journey for women to achieve success in art.

Two women’s life roads of chasing art crisscrosses in some way. One named Katherine was born in California. Katherine went to work as an art history teacher in Wellesley College with ideals and enthusiasm. However, her spread of liberal ideas suffered setbacks from time to time against the conservative schoolgirls. Another Chinese one is called Wang Cailing. Born with a marvelous voice, Wang was always dreaming to be a singer of China National Opera House in Beijing. Due to her unattractive face and poor humble origins, her dream never came true.

The highlight of art and the view of feminism in both movies inspire me to cogitate the combination between them. A voice of feminism is expressed by art. Katherine spread liberal ideas of women in her art history classes, while Wang found herself as a woman in her pursuit of singing. The feminism was shown in art form and the strong spirit in them was represented by film language.

In the first class, Katherine found that the schoolgirls had learned the lecture notes entirely. Their confidence and arrogance left her no place to stand. The high-angle shot and close-up shot revealed her weakness and helplessness toward the schoolgirls and conservative traditions. But she used art as her weapon – she brought modern art to the class which was not included in the textbook. The novel and fresh modern art attracted and defeated the girls, no less than the progressive and advanced feminism to the conservations afterwards. So far, the camera position had changed. The high-angle shot was replaced by low-angle shot, which built up a high status of Katherine.

The film And the Spring Comes gave us an impression of Wang’s voice at the very beginning, but soon we found out Wang’s face was not as beautiful as her voice. This contract also existed in the use of light. The low-key lighting was always dark in depicting Wang – as dark as her life without hope. Yet once she sang to show her wonderful voice, the lighting became brighter to illustrate a woman image, as if her life would become better. Despite her tragic experience, Wang was invariably confident and even haughty, which was represented completely every time she sang. The strong and powerful feminism spirit lived with Wang inside her.

Their feminism was also embodied in their love affairs. Wang easily fell in love with men who had artistic talent. It might not just about physical affection, but the love of resonance and sympathy. Her affairs came and went, but she had a never makeshift heart that she would not accept a man reluctantly. She claimed, “I preferred a bite of tasty peach rather than a basket of rotten apricots.” The expression on her face told everything. Speak of Katherine, she made decisive decisions on loving or leaving a man. She broke up with Pawl for Bill, but she also broke up with Bill because of his lie. They didn’t live for men as most women at that time but live for themselves. Just as love is an important part of art but not all of it, a female is an independent individual with their own pursuits.

Two roads met different end. Different cultures and different environments led to different choices, which mixes feminism, art and culture together.

Facing the obstruction of school board members, Katherine chose to leave. She finally set off for Europe, where she was always longing to go. Katherine’s decision reflects a traditionally Hollywood style – stick to your dream and never give up. In American, Hollywood is a place to make movies. Also in Hollywood, making a movie is producing a dream. For the audiences to dream, the character in the film should have a strong belief and a spirit of exploring, which indicates that everything would get better if you keep fighting for your dream. Therefore Katherine left, looking forward to a new life, a new journey for art. The last scene in the movie that the schoolgirls riding bikes followed Katherine’s car to see her off symbolizes a change in the girls’ minds and a foreshadow of women’s freedom. This ending put the view of feminism further.

Opposite to Katherine’s fighting, Wang made peace with secular life. Wang adopted a girl from the welfare house, and stayed in the city which she used to detest. To some degree, she gave up her dream of art, even if there was never a hope. She stopped dreaming and began to settle down. There is a concept in Chinese culture all the time, which is permeated in the film as well – reunion. Unlike American’s individual ideas, there is a stereotype that Chinese enjoy a big family. For a Chinese story, gathering together is always considered a better ending, even though someone must sacrifice. Wang sacrificed her dream for the peace of her heart. Unlike the painterly style in Mona Lisa Smile, linear style was used in this film, which is more realism. Nevertheless, Wang chose adoption instead of finding a man to marry and live together. Choosing to live by her own is another way of presenting feminism.

The spirit of Caesar always lives inside a woman, which could be aroused or sleep still. What arouses the spirit is a pursuit for something. Art wakened the two women in the films and they found their powerful spirit through their passion, through art.
Sarah S.

Re: Feminism Through Art

Post by Sarah S. »

Hi! I thought that this essay was successful in pointing out a lot of aspects of art that come into play in the movie, especially the art of the actual movie in promoting the difference between the two women and their stories.

I believe that the focus of the paper was art and feminism. The paper moves from a focus on the camera angles and cinematography as art to the art discussed in the movie. To expand your idea, it might be fruitful to talk about art and feminism when it comes to the separate passions of the main characters. Maybe you could talk about how Katherine Watson used art as a way to promote free and feminist thought in her students or how Wang Cailing used her art to express a different way of life, one which values more feminist ideals, to those around her, despite all of the criticism she received.

The organization of the paper was clear, and I could pretty much follow where it was going. One part that I thought seemed a bit out of place was the paragraph on romantic partners. I wasn’t sure if that was the best place for it or if it connected well enough to the main focus of the paper.

The paragraphs were focused, and the length was appropriate and made moving through the paper really easy. One thing that I noticed in the paper was that at a few points the wording was a bit confusing, like the phrase “she had a never makeshift heart that she would not accept a man reluctantly.” For revision, I would try to make some of these phrases read a bit clearer.

Overall, this was an interesting paper to read, and I liked the connection you drew between art and feminism. For revision, I would focus on drawing a few of the paragraphs closer to the focus.
Doh Y.

Post by Doh Y. »

Hi! I have read your comparison and I think this essay was very easily read and focused. I really enjoyed finding the metaphors you put in this essay.

While reading your essay, I realized that you focused your topic as the feminism in arts of both films, Mona Lisa Smile and And The Spring Comes. When you began the essay after the introduction, I liked how you explained each characters' personality and circumstance.

In the essay, you put each character on each paragraph for the description, I think it was really easy to focus on each character at once. Some people put both characters on one paragraph and compares; however, sometimes the paragraph gets too long and hard to read. You not only talked about the stories in the movies but also talked about the angles of the camera as well. While I was watching the movie, I never thought about the angles, but next time I will surely try to watch while thinking about the angles of the scenes.

As I mentioned before, I really liked how you compared both characters' lives as a road. Overall, I see barely any grammatical error on your essay. But I would like to see some conclusion, which also brings all of your thought into one.

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us!
Jiamin Z.

Post by Jiamin Z. »

Sarah S. wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:23 pm Hi! I thought that this essay was successful in pointing out a lot of aspects of art that come into play in the movie, especially the art of the actual movie in promoting the difference between the two women and their stories.

I believe that the focus of the paper was art and feminism. The paper moves from a focus on the camera angles and cinematography as art to the art discussed in the movie. To expand your idea, it might be fruitful to talk about art and feminism when it comes to the separate passions of the main characters. Maybe you could talk about how Katherine Watson used art as a way to promote free and feminist thought in her students or how Wang Cailing used her art to express a different way of life, one which values more feminist ideals, to those around her, despite all of the criticism she received.

The organization of the paper was clear, and I could pretty much follow where it was going. One part that I thought seemed a bit out of place was the paragraph on romantic partners. I wasn’t sure if that was the best place for it or if it connected well enough to the main focus of the paper.

The paragraphs were focused, and the length was appropriate and made moving through the paper really easy. One thing that I noticed in the paper was that at a few points the wording was a bit confusing, like the phrase “she had a never makeshift heart that she would not accept a man reluctantly.” For revision, I would try to make some of these phrases read a bit clearer.

Overall, this was an interesting paper to read, and I liked the connection you drew between art and feminism. For revision, I would focus on drawing a few of the paragraphs closer to the focus.
Sarah
Thank you for your reply!
You mentioned that I should talk about art and feminism when it comes to the separate passions of the main characters. I realize it might be better if I add more about how they used art to reflect their feminism.
In case of the paragraph about romantic partners, I have noticed this part may be out of place, but I was intent to emphasize the feminism in them by showing their attitude in this aspect. I will try to revise this paragraph.
Also, as you said, some sentences are confusing. I will try to fix them in my revised version.
Thanks again for your advice, which is really helpful.
Jiamin
Jiamin Z.

Post by Jiamin Z. »

Doh Y. wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:58 pm Hi! I have read your comparison and I think this essay was very easily read and focused. I really enjoyed finding the metaphors you put in this essay.

While reading your essay, I realized that you focused your topic as the feminism in arts of both films, Mona Lisa Smile and And The Spring Comes. When you began the essay after the introduction, I liked how you explained each characters' personality and circumstance.

In the essay, you put each character on each paragraph for the description, I think it was really easy to focus on each character at once. Some people put both characters on one paragraph and compares; however, sometimes the paragraph gets too long and hard to read. You not only talked about the stories in the movies but also talked about the angles of the camera as well. While I was watching the movie, I never thought about the angles, but next time I will surely try to watch while thinking about the angles of the scenes.

As I mentioned before, I really liked how you compared both characters' lives as a road. Overall, I see barely any grammatical error on your essay. But I would like to see some conclusion, which also brings all of your thought into one.

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us!
Thanks for your reply!
As you mentioned, you could try to notice the camera angles and lighting in the films, which can be found interesting when you pay attention to them.
Also as you said, I should add some conclusion at the end. It will be better if there is a conclusion bringing all the thought into one.
Thanks again for your advice, which is really helpful.
Jiamin
Sarah S.

Post by Sarah S. »

Jiamin,
I have reread your essay, in particular the paragraph about the romantic partners of the women, and I can now see how it connects back to your original statement about feminism, and in particular the quote at the beginning of your paper, which I think is a really interesting framing device for the essay.

In the part where you talk about Katherine, you could even say something about her maintaining her own agency in her relationships with these men and how she does not allow them to derail her from her own personal career and life aspirations. She remains steadfast in her passion for art and for her work with her students, rather than abandoning those things at the first sign of a marriage proposal, as other characters in the movie are wont to do. Both women do not let men and pursuit of marriage distract them from their artistic goals, which I do see as a part of your argument.

As another suggestion for revision, if you wanted to go this route, you could also add some description of the lighting/camera angles during the scenes depicting these romances since you talked about that in the beginning of the paper. This could be another way to tie what you say in this paragraph back to art. Otherwise, I think adding a sentence of clarification would be helpful.

I really enjoyed reading your paper and good luck on your final draft!
Jiamin Z.

Post by Jiamin Z. »

Sarah S. wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:53 pm Jiamin,
I have reread your essay, in particular the paragraph about the romantic partners of the women, and I can now see how it connects back to your original statement about feminism, and in particular the quote at the beginning of your paper, which I think is a really interesting framing device for the essay.

In the part where you talk about Katherine, you could even say something about her maintaining her own agency in her relationships with these men and how she does not allow them to derail her from her own personal career and life aspirations. She remains steadfast in her passion for art and for her work with her students, rather than abandoning those things at the first sign of a marriage proposal, as other characters in the movie are wont to do. Both women do not let men and pursuit of marriage distract them from their artistic goals, which I do see as a part of your argument.

As another suggestion for revision, if you wanted to go this route, you could also add some description of the lighting/camera angles during the scenes depicting these romances since you talked about that in the beginning of the paper. This could be another way to tie what you say in this paragraph back to art. Otherwise, I think adding a sentence of clarification would be helpful.

I really enjoyed reading your paper and good luck on your final draft!
Sarah,
I am really grateful that you have reread my essay. Thank you for being so careful!
I like your idea of adding more lighting/camera angles in the paragraph about romances. I will try to put some into it.
I think you have precisely pointed out what I need to add in Katherine's part and what to conclude at the end of this paragraph. This is exactly the view I want to talk about.
I really appreciate that you have helped me a lot for my final draft.
Jiamin Z.

Post by Jiamin Z. »

My Revised Essay:

Feminism Through Art
– A Film Review of Mona Lisa Smile and And the Spring Comes

“You'll find the spirit of Caesar in a woman’s soul,” as artist Artemisia Gentileschi described herself. Contemporary art lacks no female artists. But not long before, there was a difficult journey for women to achieve success in art.

Two women’s life roads of chasing art crisscrosses in some way. One named Katherine was born in California. Katherine went to work as an art history teacher in Wellesley College with ideals and enthusiasm. However, her spread of liberal ideas suffered setbacks from time to time against the conservative schoolgirls. Another Chinese one is called Wang Cailing. Born with a marvelous voice, Wang was always dreaming to be a singer of China National Opera House in Beijing. Due to her unattractive face and poor humble origins, her dream never came true.

The highlight of art and the view of feminism in both movies inspire me to cogitate the combination between them. A voice of feminism is expressed by art. Katherine spread liberal ideas of women in her art history classes, while Wang found herself as a woman in her pursuit of singing. The feminism was shown in art form and the strong spirit in them was represented by film language.

In the first class, Katherine found that the schoolgirls had learned the lecture notes entirely. Their confidence and arrogance left her no place to stand. The high-angle shot and close-up shot revealed her weakness and helplessness toward the schoolgirls and conservative traditions. But she used art as her weapon – she brought modern art to the class which was not included in the textbook. The novel and fresh modern art attracted and defeated the girls, no less than the progressive and advanced feminism to the conservation afterwards. So far, the camera position had changed. The high-angle shot was replaced by low-angle shot, which built up a high status of Katherine.

The film And the Spring Comes gave us an impression of Wang’s voice at the very beginning, but soon we found out Wang’s face was not as beautiful as her voice. This contract also existed in the use of light. The low-key lighting was always dark in depicting Wang – as dark as her life without hope. Yet once she sang to show her wonderful voice, the lighting became brighter to illustrate a woman image, as if her life would become better. Wang Cailing was always longing to change her pitiful life by achieving a success in singing. Despite her tragic experience, Wang was invariably confident and even haughty, which was represented completely every time she sang. And despite all of the criticism she received, Wang values more feminist ideals than those who around her.The strong and powerful feminism spirit lived with Wang inside her.

Their feminism was also embodied in their love affairs. Wang easily fell in love with men who had artistic talent. It might not just about physical affection, but the love of resonance and sympathy. Her affairs came and went, but she would never made a makeshift decision to accept a man without art pursuit. She claimed, “I preferred a bite of tasty peach rather than a basket of rotten apricots.” The expression on her face told everything. Speak of Katherine, she made decisive decisions on loving or leaving a man. She broke up with Pawl for Bill, but she also broke up with Bill because of his lie. She maintained her own agency in her relationships with these men and she didn't allow them to derail her from her own personal career and life aspirations. They didn’t live for men as most women at that time but live for themselves. The director used medium two shot to create romantic atmosphere, and later replaced it by full shot to break the romance as well as to create a sense of distance. Just as love is an important part of art but not all of it, a female is an independent individual with their own pursuits.

Two roads met different end. Different cultures and different environments led to different choices, which mixes feminism, art and culture together.

Facing the obstruction of school board members, Katherine chose to leave. She finally set off for Europe, where she was always longing to go. Katherine’s decision reflects a traditionally Hollywood style – stick to your dream and never give up. In American, Hollywood is a place to make movies. Also in Hollywood, making a movie is producing a dream. For the audiences to dream, the character in the film should have a strong belief and a spirit of exploring, which indicates that everything would get better if you keep fighting for your dream. Therefore Katherine left, looking forward to a new life, a new journey for art. The last scene in the movie that the schoolgirls riding bikes followed Katherine’s car to see her off symbolizes a change in the girls’ minds and a foreshadow of women’s freedom. This ending put the view of feminism further.

Opposite to Katherine’s fighting, Wang made peace with secular life. Wang adopted a girl from the welfare house, and stayed in the city which she used to detest. To some degree, she gave up her dream of art, even if there was never a hope. She stopped dreaming and began to settle down. There is a concept in Chinese culture all the time, which is permeated in the film as well – reunion. Unlike American’s individual ideas, there is a stereotype that Chinese enjoy a big family. For a Chinese story, gathering together is always considered a better ending, even though someone must sacrifice. Wang sacrificed her dream for the peace of her heart. Unlike the painterly style in Mona Lisa Smile, linear style was used in this film, which is more realism. Nevertheless, Wang chose adoption instead of finding a man to marry and live together. Choosing to live by her own is another way of presenting feminism.

The spirit of Caesar always lives inside a woman, which could be aroused or sleep still. What arouses the spirit is a pursuit for something, which both films have presented by film language. Art wakened the two women in the films and they found their powerful spirit through their passion, through art.
Jiamin Z.

Post by Jiamin Z. »

Reflection:

1)I have incorporated some points of what had been discussed into the revised draft.

One point suggested me to talk about art and feminism when it comes to the separate passions of the main characters. To revise, I have added some sentences to link art and feminism, and detailed how the two characters used art to pursuit feminism. The suggestion helped me to make the connection between art and feminism more strong.

Another point suggested me to analyse the romance part of my essay to make it more connects back to my original statement about feminism. I agreed with the suggestion and presented more from the films to make it concrete. Also in this part, I was suggested to add some description of the lighting/camera angles during the scenes depicting these romances to tie what I say. So for revision, I have added more about the medium shot and full shot.

There is also a point that suggested me to make a conclusion about my essay. For this point, I think my essay already has a conclusion to echo with the beginning. But I still added a sentence to emphasize the film language I have mentioned in my essay.

2) I think the activity is beneficial to me in terms of knowledge gains or skill enhancement.

First of all, I think this is a golden opportunity. We seldom have such a chance to communicate with native speakers in the US.

When I read their essays, I cognized a different way of considering. Although we enjoy a lot of views in common, they still have some unique ways of thinking. For example, one of them made a comparison between the college students to Wang Cailing, an angle we seldom think of.

From their feedback, I can see the imperfections in my essay which I didn’t discover by myself. They made me reexamine my essay to revise my weakness so that I can do better in my revision version.

By giving them my feedback, I can try to look deeper into their essay and try to figure out what is not good enough. By giving them advice, I can have a better understanding of what to avoid when I write my own essay.

In conclusion, this is a mutual learning process. I gain a lot from this activity.

3) Before this activity, I have expected to deeply communicate with American students so as to find out the differences of thinking between us. And through this way to improve myself. After this activity, I think I roughly meet my expectation. I learned some ways of thinking as well as some skills for writing. I really appreciated this opportunity to interact with foreign students, which has opened my horizon.

As for the suggestion for this activity, I think our communication can be more direct in case of we cannot response to others duly. If we don't notice the response soon enough, we cannot communicate more and deeper with others.