Gendered Expectations and Determination in Cross-Cultural Cinema

Paige S.

Post by Paige S. »

Paige Scuteri

In both the American film “Mona Lisa Smile” and Chinese film “And the Spring Comes” traditional gendered expectations for women are contended with by the main characters, Katherine Watson and Cailing Wang. In “Mona Lisa Smile,” the gendered expectations for women in the 1950’s are to get married and provide a suitable home for a husband and kids. Women are expected to relinquish any other career goals when they get engaged, as seen primarily by the student Betty Warren and, later on, Joan. Katherine grapples with the Wellesley girls’ expectations for marriage by finding ways to instill independence in them and saying things like “You don’t have to choose” or “You can do both” when deciding between a career or a husband. At one point, Betty says that marriage is the role women “were born to fill” and Katherine rejects this concept. One way Katherine refutes traditional gender roles through teaching methods is by her paint-by-numbers story. She explains how Van Goh was only popular after his time and his goal as an artist was authenticity and individuality in his work. In telling this story, Katherine shows how the Wellesley school is like paint-by-numbers because it has traditional expectations for students that does not encourage authenticity or individuality.

While Katherine serves as a barrier between expectations and individual agency for the Wellesley girls, Ms. Wang has gendered expectations imposed upon her by other characters in “And the Spring Comes.” The expectations for women in this movie are less rigid. The movie takes place in the 1980’s and women’s employment is commonplace, and women do not follow a strict path to how they are supposed to live their lives. However, marriage is a cultural expectation and imposed upon her by both friends and family. Ms. Wang’s family asks her when she is going to be married when she is home for the Chinese New Year celebration. A friend of the music school also says that “People are beginning to talk” regarding her sexuality. Ms. Wang seeks emotional comfort in a friend who is also seen as an outcast, Mr. Hu. When Mr. Hu proposes to her for the sake of appearances, Ms. Wang rejects the proposal, which conveys to the viewer that marriage itself does not satisfy the “traditional” life that people expect of women. The expectation for marriage is compounded by the standards of femininity set in the movie. The value of external beauty in “And the Spring Comes” is quite high, and Ms. Wang’s musical talent is constantly juxtaposed by how other characters find her to be lacking in beauty. Throughout the movie, Ms. Wang only expresses romantic interest in Huang Sibao, and he tells her he only sees her as a friend because she is not pretty enough. Moreover, one of her colleague’s offers a solution to help her get rid of her acne and tells her that she ought to get married and find a husband that can make her dumplings. Though her lack of beauty is problematic for some of the characters, the importance of it is contested through the scene where Ms. Wang stuffs her own dumplings while her colleague cries because her husband has left her. Moreover, Ms. Wang’s eventual adoption of Little Fan shows how happiness can be achieved even through unconventional methods.

In addition to gendered expectations, both movies encounter determination as a critical concept relevant to both the plot and the social commentary of the movie as a whole. In “Mona Lisa Smile,” Katherine continues to try to instill independence in the Wellesley girls, even when faced with adversity from the administration, Betty, and society. Betty is the student most resistant to Katherine’s teaching practices and at one point says “The grade that matters most is the one your husband gives you.” Even after Betty’s article in the paper which attacks Katherine’s teaching methods and character, Katherine shows up to class and procures slides that explain how women are portrayed as subservient and mindless in advertisements. Even though Katherine decides to leave Wellesley at the end of the year, Betty’s transformation from traditional to independent shows how Katherine’s determination pays off for even the most unlikely of characters. Moreover, when the president of the school, Ms. Carr, tells Katherine that she will only be welcome back if she is more traditional in her teaching methods, Katherine continues to teach as she sees fit. Toward the end of the movie, Ms. Carr tells the rest of the board members that Katherine’s class has the highest enrollment total for the next year. While Katherine’s nonconformity could be viewed as problematic, it’s positive effects emphasize the importance and success of her determination.

In “And the Spring Comes,” Ms. Wang is determined to be happy even though she is faced with so many obstacles. The movie adopts a very realistic approach to following Ms. Wang’s journey and does not attempt to frame her talent as a singer as glamorous or successful. In the scene where Ms. Wang sings in a competition, onlookers cover their ears or pack up and leave. Yet, Ms. Wang does not give up and subsequently goes to Beijing in an attempt to procure a spot at a music school. Even though Ms. Wang eventually gives up on singing, she is still determined to construct a happy life and adopts Little Fan. The end of the movie shows Ms. Wang laughing and smiling more with her daughter than she ever did singing or with Huang Sibao, conveying how determination is about more than following one ascribed goal. Rather, determination is about achieving a life of happiness, even if it is through unconventional methods. While Ms. Wang’s ending might seem less fruitful than Katherine’s time at Wellesley, both women are able to make a difference in the lives of others while staying true to themselves.
Meini X.

Re: Gendered Expectations and Determination in Cross-Cultural Cinema

Post by Meini X. »

Hi Paige,
I’m very delighted to have an opportunity to share ours ideas to the movies.

Indeed, you have done a quite good job. There has been a logical order and clear relationship among your ideas. Actually, your essay reminded me some deeper points in the movies that I haven’t found in my writing. I really enjoy reading your essay, and here I would like to put forward some comments.

Firstly, you divided the essay into two parts and focused on different points in each part, Which is clear and easy-reading. However, in my personal point of view, if you add several sentences in the opening paragraph to show your two focuses: gendered expectations and determination, it will be well-structured and attract reader's attention at once.

Secondly, when talking about the gendered expectations in And the Spring Comes,you mentioned that Cailing Wang stuffed her own dumplings instead of finding a husband that can make her dumplings. Well that's a very interesting point. But I wonder whether some symbolic meanings are given to the dumplings. If there are any, you can further claim your idea so that readers would have a better understanding.

Finally, in your essay, you used a lot of detailed information to support your ideas, which seemed difficult for me. I wonder if you have taken some notes while watching or you have some special methods. I think it's a fairly good skill that I want to develop in my future writing.

Excellent job Paige! I'm looking forward to your reply concerning the above comments.

Yours,
Meini X.
Xuejin H.

Post by Xuejin H. »

Hi, Paige

Your text actually gives me a new perspective on the two films and makes me have a deeper understanding of them. I like it.

In your text as well as your title, you lay out your own view, gendered expectations and determinations, of these two films. And I think you are adept at proving your point of view with sufficient evidence. Using supporting actors’ behaviors or words as a foil for two heroines’ determinations is a very clever way of writing, but maybe you can pay more attention on the heroine herself such as her inner thoughts and her demeanor, because too many pots piled together seems verbose. Also you’d better spilt more the sections.

The whole text is well-knit and has a surprising sense of coherence, including the first sentence of each paragraph makes a summary and the first sentence of the second paragraph connects the contents before and after. It makes readers like me to follow your logic unconsciously.

The overall visual effect of the text is very refreshing and the sentence pattern is very flexible. I really appreciate your accurate choice of words such as “relinquish”, “grapple with” and “subservient”. But I also look up “paint-by-numbers” in dictionary, showing that it’s an adjective, so maybe you used this word wrong.

In addition, some of the plots you describe do not match the film itself. You say “Mr. Hu proposes to her for the sake of appearance.”, but the truth seems not like that. And Ms. Wang is in a performance not a competition. The sentence you quote “The grade that matters most is the one your husband gives you” is what a teacher says nor Betty.

In short, you do a very good job and I think you can add more not about pots but non-verbal strategies such as makeups. It seems that for you, Ms. Wang is happier after giving up her dream, but for me, it is just her compromise on life. So is your opinion of this film too idealistic? I will very happy if you can share your opinion with me.
Paige S.

Post by Paige S. »

Hi Xuejin,

Thank you for your comments, they are very much appreciated. I have read yours and Meini's over several times so that I am sure to incorporate your suggestions.

Paint-by-numbers is an activity where you have a blank coloring page or canvas and you are supposed to paint everywhere that has a "1" the same color, everywhere that has a "2" the same color, so on and so forth. I really appreciate that you took the time to look it up, and I will take extra care to explain what paint-by-numbers is in my paper.

Thank you also for clarifying some of the details in And the Spring Comes. It is the little details like who said which quote that matter in a comparison paper, and I didn't even realize I mixed up some of the quotes until you pointed them out.

Also, my opinion of Wang Cailing's ending might be too idealistic. I think in American films a lot of what we see is not always realistic even though we'd like to think some things are. However, to me it was nice to see that Wang Calling found a way to be happy even though she didn't achieve the dream she thought she wanted. I will make sure to add more details about that.
Paige S.

Post by Paige S. »

Hi Meini,

Thank you for your comments!

I will make sure to go back and add more about gendered expectations and determination in the first paragraph. I had also not thought about the symbolic meaning in the scene with the dumplings, but I will go back and watch that scene to see if I might have any more opinions on it.

Regarding your last comment, I did take notes during the movie. I wrote down some quotes and scenes that I found symbolic or representative of gendered expectations. This is just a practice that works for me because I find it hard to remember everything days or weeks after I watch the movie.

Best,
Paige
Paige S.

Post by Paige S. »

In our viewings of the American film Mona Lisa Smile and the Chinese film And the Spring Comes, both gendered expectations and determination are central to the development of the main characters, Katherine Watson and Wang Cailing. Both Katherine and Ms. Wang contend with traditional gendered expectations as they attempt to pursue their goals of teaching at Wellesley and singing for the opera in Beijing. While Katherine is determined to alter the gendered expectations for the female students at Wellesley, Ms. Wang has to navigate the gendered expectations of external beauty for women in order to pursue her own dream of being an opera singer and having a family. Though both movies incorporate gendered expectations and determination thematically, they manifest in quite different ways.

In Mona Lisa Smile, the gendered expectations for women in the 1950’s are to get married and provide a suitable home for a husband and kids. Women are expected to relinquish any other career goals when they get engaged, as seen primarily by the student Betty Warren and, later on, Joan. Katherine grapples with the Wellesley girls’ expectations for marriage by finding ways to instill independence in them and saying things like “You don’t have to choose” or “You can do both” when deciding between a career or a husband. At one point, Betty says that marriage is the role women “were born to fill” and Katherine rejects this concept. One way Katherine refutes traditional gender roles through teaching methods is by her explanation of a paint-by-numbers activity. She explains how Van Goh was only popular after his time and his goal as an artist was authenticity and individuality in his work. Katherine then takes out a paint-by-numbers activity of one of Van Goh’s famous paintings in order to show how his personal beliefs were being mistreated by the mass production of replicas. Katherine explains how such activities encourage you to follow ideas put forth by other people instead of your own. In telling this story, Katherine shows how the Wellesley school is like a paint-by-numbers activity because it has traditional expectations for students that does not encourage authenticity or individuality.

While Katherine serves as a barrier between expectations and individual agency for the Wellesley girls, Ms. Wang has gendered expectations imposed upon her by other characters in And the Spring Comes. The expectations for women in this movie are less rigid. The movie takes place in the 1980’s and women’s employment is commonplace and does not have a predetermined path for how they are supposed to conduct their career. While And the Spring Comes offers more freedom surrounding a woman’s career, marriage is a cultural expectation and is imposed upon Ms. Wang by both friends and family. Ms. Wang’s family asks her when she is going to be married when she is home for the Chinese New Year celebration. A friend of the music school also says that “People are beginning to talk” regarding her sexuality. Ms. Wang has a platonic relationship with a friend who is also seen as an outcast, Mr. Hu. When Mr. Hu proposes to her so that people will stop talking negatively of them, Ms. Wang rejects his proposal. Ms. Wang’s inability to marry into a loveless relationship conveys to the viewer that marriage itself does not satisfy the “traditional” life that people expect of women.

The expectation for marriage in And the Spring Comes is compounded by the standards of femininity set in the movie. The value of external beauty in the movie is quite high, and Ms. Wang’s musical talent is constantly juxtaposed by how other characters find her to be lacking in beauty. Throughout the movie, Ms. Wang mainly expresses romantic interest in Huang Sibao, and he tells her he only sees her as a friend because she is not pretty enough. Moreover, one of her colleague’s offers a solution to help her get rid of her acne and tells her that she ought to get married and find a husband that can make her dumplings. Though her lack of beauty is problematic for some of the characters, the importance of it is contested in the scene where Ms. Wang stuffs her own dumplings. While Ms. Wang stuffs the dumplings, her colleague cries because her husband has left her. Though Ms. Wang’s lack of beauty is depressing to her at times, her ability to rely on herself to make dumplings underscores the importance of independence. Ms. Wang’s colleague who is portrayed as beautiful relied on her husband to make dumplings, yet she must also now learn to do it herself now that she is alone. The fact that both a beautiful character in the movie, and Ms. Wang who is not seen as attractive, must end up learning to make dumplings for themselves shows that external beauty does not always guarantee you a happy life. Moreover, Ms. Wang’s eventual adoption of Little Fan shows how happiness can be achieved even through unconventional methods.

In addition to gendered expectations, both movies encounter determination as a critical concept relevant to both the plot and the social commentary of the movie as a whole. In Mona Lisa Smile, Katherine continues to try to instill independence in the Wellesley girls, even when faced with adversity from the administration, Betty, and society. Even after Betty’s article in the paper which attacks Katherine’s teaching methods and character, Katherine shows up to class and procures slides that explain how women are portrayed as subservient and mindless in advertisements. Despite the fact that Katherine decides to leave Wellesley at the end of the year, Betty’s transformation from traditional to independent shows how Katherine’s determination pays off for even the most unlikely of characters. Moreover, when the president of the school, Ms. Carr, tells Katherine that she will only be welcome back if she is more traditional in her teaching methods, Katherine continues to teach as she sees fit. Toward the end of the movie, Ms. Carr tells the rest of the board members that Katherine’s class has the highest enrollment total for the next year. While Katherine’s nonconformity could be viewed as problematic, it’s positive effects emphasize the importance and success of her determination.

In And the Spring Comes, Ms. Wang is determined to find happiness even though she is faced with so many obstacles. The movie adopts a very realistic approach to following Ms. Wang’s journey and does not attempt to frame her talent as a singer as glamorous or successful. In the scene where Ms. Wang preforms in public, onlookers cover their ears or pack up and leave. Even though Ms. Wang eventually gives up on singing, she is still determined to construct a happy life and adopts Little Fan. The end of the movie shows Ms. Wang laughing and smiling more with her daughter than she ever did singing or with Huang Sibao, conveying how determination is about more than following one ascribed goal. Rather, determination is about achieving a life of happiness, even if it is through unconventional methods. And the Spring Comes is quite realistic in the sense that the end of the movie results in Ms. Wang’s concession to a new way of life she had not expected. Though she seems to give up more than Katherine, the movie ends with her having a career and a family which shows her determination to find meaning in life. While Ms. Wang’s ending might seem less fruitful than Katherine’s time at Wellesley, both women are able to make a difference in the lives of others while staying true to themselves.
Paige S.

Post by Paige S. »

Reflections

Going into the border-crossing activity, my expectations were to have a brief exchange between students mainly about the style and form of our papers and to share ideas about our own cultures. I had expected that there would be a few elements of their papers I might have to correct, mainly grammatical ideas or concepts in Mona Lisa Smile that were unfamiliar to them. In terms of my own paper, I expected that I would have to expand on And the Spring Comes a bit more, and that Xuejin and Meini would be able to help me with that. My expectations for the assignment have been met in a very positive way. The students seemed eager to learn as much as they could about why I suggested certain structural changes to their paper, and Xuejin in particular was very enthusiastic about anything he could do to improve. I learned what hukou is and I was challenged by Meini to think more closely about a particular scene in And the Spring Comes and what the significance might be. My expectations were surpassed because I both got to develop my own writing and connect with students who are engaging and very receptive to my suggestions in a way I am not used to.

Throughout the exchange, what stuck out to me the most was the differences in idea presentation, the format of the introduction and conclusion, and attention to specific details. In my own writing, I like to present my ideas by grouping together concepts like gendered expectations in both movies, and then my discussion of determination in both movies. However, my peers were able to convey their ideas in a more organic way that went from one observation to the next, even if the ideas were not related in the paragraph. Though there was less traditional Western structure, I think their idea presentation had a similar effect because the writing style was reflective, thoughtful, and analytical. I was also surprised by the lack of formal introduction and conclusion in my peers' writing. I had anticipated there would be differences in format, but I had never read an analysis without a pointed conclusion. Xuejin ended the movie with a discussion of the word “aroma” and Meini’s conclusion was one sentence on female roles. The introduction portion of the essay for both students was also quite short. However, I don’t think this is a bad thing. Their writing was reflective and showed great consideration of both of the movies. I think the emphasis placed on introduction and conclusion between our cultures is just different. The last notable observation I had between our writing was the attention to detail my peers paid. They were able to pick up on elements of the film I never noticed. Meini pointed out how both movies use a scene with bicycles to convey emotion. Xuejin noticed the yellow silk scarf in And the Spring Comes served as a metaphor for “firmness and greatness of love.” These elements of the film were so subtle, but yet their observations of it added so much to the analysis. I was very impressed.

In terms of the suggestions made by my peers, there were some I chose to incorporate and some I did not. Xuejin suggested that I break up my paragraphs further, but I felt that my paragraphs encompassed each idea I was trying to make in a very comprehensive manner, and so I did not feel that it would add to the paper to do that. Xuejin pointed out that “paint-by-numbers” is an adjective and not a verb, so I made sure to add “activity” after I said it. I also elaborated on the scene with the paint-by-numbers activity so that my peers might better be able to understand the cultural significance of mass consumerism art like paint-by-numbers activities and how that worked thematically within the movie. I thought explaining more would add an ethos for my discussion of it. Xuejin also posited that some of the scenes and quotes I attributed to characters were not correct. I thought Betty had made a gendered comment, but it was a teacher. I made sure to go back and change that. I also elaborated on the scene with Mr. Hu to better clarify how Wang Cailing did not want marriage just for the sake of appearances, but wanted a real love. I did not incorporate Xuejin’s suggestion to add more about the nonverbal elements of the movies, such as makeup. I felt my analysis of gendered expectations and determination was both focused enough and comprehensive enough, and that too add an entire section was not necessary for the goal of my paper. I also made note of Xuejin’s suggestion that the observations in my conclusion put forth were a little idealistic. Xuejin’s cultural expectations for the film differed from mine, and it was nice to have those contrasting ideas and the opportunity to improve upon them in my conclusion. I made sure to incorporate Meini’s suggestion to add more to the introduction that introduces gendered expectations and determination. I added an entire paragraph on how gendered expectations and determination are thematically significant to the film and how I will discuss them. I also elaborated on the scene with Ms. Wang stuffing her own dumplings, as Meini suggested. I think this was very helpful in outlining where my analysis was lacking and how to support it a little better.

After reflecting on this activity, I do find that it was beneficial for me in terms of gaining knowledge. I worked at the Writing Center for a while as a tutor, and we had a very specific process of helping mentees improve their writing. I liked the relaxed format of the communication with my peers in China because they were able to make suggestions from their cultural perspective instead of a format prescribed to them. I think that the intrinsic motivation to both improve my writing and express my cultural beliefs enabled me to see where they were not supporting their own claims enough, and vice versa. I also have a much better understanding of the subtle nonverbal elements of And the Spring Comes. If I had to use three adjectives to describe this activity, they would be: helpful, fun, and eye-opening. I thought it was really helpful to get feedback on my writing from students who don’t know me on a day to day basis. I think the online setting also helps because they were able to make comments on their own time and not required to for class. I also thought this activity was fun. When Xuejin said that it was nice to see me from the video recording we did in class, that made my day. I had never expected so much personality and friendliness from an activity like this, but it truly was a highlight of the class. I also think this experience was eye-opening because it allowed me to see how malleable standards of writing are. I was taught to adhere to the standard intro/body paragraphs/conclusion for most of my education, but it was interesting to see that structure not used (but still written eloquently). My peers still had very successful essays, so I enjoyed watching that unfold from a different perspective.

If I could make a comment in support of my progress throughout this activity, it would be that I tried very hard to be encouraging but yet instructive. I am a sensitive person and I know that it can be discouraging to get a lot of negative feedback all at once. I tried my best to uplift my peers by pointing out the accomplishments of their paper, while also showing areas they might make their own ideas stronger. I think I was very open-minded when it came to thinking about the cultural and syntactical differences of writing, and I did my best to point out how grammatical mistakes might be fixed. I also made sure to emphasize that I could be reached if they had any questions or concerns about my suggestions.