5 - Women Empowerment and Personal Growth from China to Massachusetts

Spencer C., Douglas L., Wangshu H., and Jiaxin Y.
Spencer C.

5 - Women Empowerment and Personal Growth from China to Massachusetts

Post by Spencer C. »

There are many differences between the two movies And the Spring Comes and Mona Lisa Smile. For example, the first movie is set in a town near Baotou, China, while the latter takes place at Wellesley College in Massachusetts. The drastically different settings in each movie result in dissimilar cultural aspects. That being said, both movies deal with aspects of personal development and growth as well as art. For instance, in And the Spring Comes Cailing Wang is a vocal teacher who dreams of singing at the National Opera House. She grows fond of a painter but his feelings are not mutual. Ms. Wang is visibly upset by this and ultimately jumps off a building. Fortunately, she survives the fall with only a broken arm. Her growth and development show when she befriends Mr. Hu, a ballet teacher. Despite his sexual orientation, she remains friends with him. This relationship gives her a more wholesome outlook on life and encourages her to grow as a person and an artist. Ultimately, the relationship with Mr. Hu and her denial of marriage leads her to be a more independent woman.

Meanwhile, Mona Lisa Smile is about a number of women, all with very different backgrounds and directions in life. For example, one of the characters is Katherine Ann Watson, a woman graduate student who teaches an art history class. To her surprise, when she begins the class the students have already memorized the material. As a result, she uses this opportunity to teach her students about modern art. In regards to women empowerment, Katherine believes that women should not limit themselves to only being wives and mothers. Instead, she believes that women ought to seek out careers and pursue things they are passionate about. One of Katherine’s students, Betty Warren, eventually takes this advice to heart. However, at first, her conservative views challenge the views of Katherine. For example, Betty criticizes Katherine for encouraging women to seek out careers instead of playing the traditional role of wife and mother. Betty’s marriage ends up failing after a brief six months and this changes her outlook on life. She shows growth by deciding to start a life of her own and applies to Yale Law School. The female characters in both films don’t allow the influences of other people to sway their decisions. Ultimately, Betty and Ms. Wang decide to do what is in their best interest despite what others say or do.

In conclusion, the two movies differ in more than one way. There are obvious cultural differences such as setting and costume design. That being said, both movies include characters that are passionate about art. Additionally, the two movies share common themes of women empowerment and personal growth.
Wangshu H.
University: Nanjing University

Re: 5 - Women Empowerment and Personal Growth from China to Massachusetts

Post by Wangshu H. »

You gave a very detailed description of the two movies, which fit your topic validly. Still, I am confused :? about one of your points. You wrote that Ms. Wang was encouraged to grow as an artist, while I do not think so. On the opposite, she had to give up pursuing her art dream, at least according to secular view, becoming a butcher, raising a daughter and leading an ordinary life (even her adopted child's name, Xiaofan, referred to ordinary). If you might have been convinced by a scene that Ms. Wang had performed in a splendid odeum at the end of the movie, I suggest that it was only her imagination rather then fact. Anyway, you may persuade me with other evidence, and I am open to your ideas.
Besides, in regards to your essay structure, I would appreciate it more if you make more comparisons between those women you mentioned, as I am not clear about what you want to express by narrating such plots. Are their personal growth similar or dissimilar? I look forward to your reply.
Last but not least, your language flows smoothly and vividly, which I can read with ease and joy, and your understanding of the two movies (especially And the Spring Comes, I think) is accurate and meticulous. ;)
Jiaxin Y.

Post by Jiaxin Y. »

Your essay has a very good structure and you've made your points clearly with vivid examples. The analysis of characters is quite sufficient. I really enjoyed reading it.
Your statement in the second paragraph makes me a bit puzzled. Why do you say that "the relationship with Mr. Hu and her denial of marriage leads her to be a more independent woman"? From my point of view, on the contrary, this frustrates her and forces her to reflect on her ambition. Hu's lamentable experience together with Wang's interactions with other characters reshapes her self-perception. Could you further explain why this helps her gain independence?
Wangshu H.
University: Nanjing University

Post by Wangshu H. »

Hi, Spencer! I had read Jiaxin's comment, which gave me a new idea, and I suppose it to be interesting. Do you think the ending of Ms. Wang's story is encouraging or discouraging? The answer to this question might be the main divergence both between you and Jiaxin, and between you and me. I am also looking forward to Douglas's reply. ;)
Spencer C.

Post by Spencer C. »

Thank you guys for pointing that out about Ms. Wang. I suppose I just misinterpreted it when I watched for the first time. Also, it is interesting to think about if the ending for Ms. Wang is encouraging or discouraging. I will definitely add that to my final paper when I revise.
Spencer C.

Post by Spencer C. »

(REVISED)
There are many differences between the two movies And the Spring Comes and Mona Lisa Smile. For example, the first movie is set in a town near Baotou, China, while the latter takes place at Wellesley College in Massachusetts. The drastically different settings in each movie result in dissimilar cultural aspects. That being said, both movies deal with aspects of personal development and growth as well as art. For instance, in And the Spring Comes Cailing Wang is a vocal teacher who dreams of singing at the National Opera House. She grows fond of a painter but his feelings are not mutual. Ms. Wang is visibly upset by this and ultimately jumps off a building. Fortunately, she survives the fall with only a broken arm. Her growth and development show when she befriends Mr. Hu, a ballet teacher. This relationship gives her a more wholesome outlook on life. I believe that the ending of Ms. Wang’s story is encouraging. Although she had to give up her dream of being an artist, she gained valuable skills in other aspects of life. It is not the typical “Happy Ending” that we are used to in Hollywood movies, yet it is honest and practical. An ending like this shows that we are not limited to one path in life. Sometimes people are forced to do things that may not be the most optimal at the time, however, life continues to move on and we learn from these experiences.
Meanwhile, Mona Lisa Smile is about a number of women, all with very different backgrounds and directions in life. For example, one of the characters is Katherine Ann Watson, a woman graduate student who teaches an art history class. To her surprise, when she begins the class the students have already memorized the material. As a result, she uses this opportunity to teach her students about modern art. In regards to women empowerment, Katherine believes that women should not limit themselves to only being wives and mothers. Instead, she believes that women ought to seek out careers and pursue things they are passionate about. One of Katherine’s students, Betty Warren, eventually takes this advice to heart. However, at first, her conservative views challenge the views of Katherine. For example, Betty criticizes Katherine for encouraging women to seek out careers instead of playing the traditional role of wife and mother. Betty’s marriage ends up failing after a brief six months and this changes her outlook on life. She shows growth by deciding to start a life of her own and applies to Yale Law School. The female characters in both films don’t allow the influences of other people to sway their decisions. Ultimately, Betty and Ms. Wang decide to do what is in their best interest despite what others say or do.
In conclusion, the two movies differ in more than one way. There are obvious cultural differences such as setting and costume design. That being said, both movies include characters that are passionate about art. Additionally, the two movies share common themes of and personal growth in different ways.
Spencer C.

Post by Spencer C. »

1) What were your expectations for the border-crossing activity? Are your expectations met? Why or why not?
a. At first I was not sure how the NJU student’s English skills would be, however, I was pleasantly surprised. Most of the writing was clear and concise. Overall, this activity exceeded my expectations and I was pleasantly surprised.
2) Please name three things that struck you most when you interacted with the Chinese peers and explain why. (You may comment on the differences and/or similarities in lexical choice, writing style, idea presentation, rhetorical preference, cultural convention etc.)
a. 1) English writing ability exceeded my expectations.
b. 2) Both students had similar suggestions about one specific portion of my paper. They offered suggestions that helped me improve my revised version.
c. I was pleased at how in depth the student’s responses were. They took the time to point out what I did well as well as what needed improvement.
3) Did you incorporate what had been discussed into the revised draft? If so, please elaborate on how the discussion had led to the revisions you made. If not, please explain why
a. Yes, the students brought up a good point about my evaluation of Ms. Wang in And the Spring Comes, which led me to rewatch and reevaluate my interpretation.
4) Could you provide three adjectives to describe the activity? Please explain your choice.
a. Insightful
b. Unique
c. Exciting
5) Any additional comments, suggestions, and observations you would like to make to better help us assess your performance in this activity?
a. I think in the future it would be beneficial to allow the students more time for responses. Had we started the activity earlier I think it would be more beneficial. The timing of the project was right around finals so students (at least at Penn State) had many other final projects to focus on.