18 - Film Review

Katherine M., Ya-Lin H., Meiyi H., and Yangzi. Z.
Meiyi H.

18 - Film Review

Post by Meiyi H. »

From my point of view, these two movies express different attitudes towards the question:How to achieve our life?

Firstly, from the perspective of story, It’s a interesting thing that these 2 movies both talk about the problem of life, but at different levels: “Mona Lisa Smile” discusses something more sociological. Catherine wants the girls to break out of the shackles that the society imposes to women, like women have to take care of their husbands and childrens. So personally speaking, the influence of this movie is in a way like the “enlightenment”. It teachs people to confront their hearts and emotions. As for “the Spring Comes”, although this movie concerns the social issue too, it doesn’t want to aim at the problem of society or gender, but just the confusion of life. How we handle the relation between dream and reality? Or, even, can we really handle it? In fact, there are many Cailing in the world, no matter what their gender or age, they are so confused about the reason why they didn’t realize their dream despite so much effort. Like Cailing, who has talent and ambition, finally works as a butcher. Maybe her appearance is a factor in her failure of love, but actually it’s not such important. In this story there are several dreamers, like the ballet dancer, painter, etc. They are almost all talented, but ironically, only the girl who pretend to dying succeed, with the help of people’s sympathy.

Besides, the 2 movies belong to the different types: “Mona Lisa Smile” is ideal one, “the Spring Comes” is more realistic. From the perspective of characters, if we compare the heroines, we’ll find that Catherine is almost perfect: independent, confident, kind and beautiful. The disposition of the students is also easy to define. However, in ”the Spring Comes”, every one’s character is complicated or contradictory. Such as Cailing, who is cruel when she refuse her pursuer, tender when she stay with her family and child; the dancer, a mild man who finally ruin his dream in a despairing way... In general, the former encourages people to chasing dreams, while the latter tries to expose the cruel reality.

Actually it’s hard to include the differences of Chinese and American culture, for they sound like some stereotypes. Just from these 2 movies, we can see one is positive, instructive, and consider more about social problems and human rights. The other one describes more the complication of humanity, and absurd of human’s life. One tells us happiness is important, while the other let us know the realization is that hard. The 2 angle of view may reflect in a way 2 different cultures.

For the non-verbal strategies, the most impressive one for me is the characters’ clothes in”Mona Lisa Smile”, the girls dressed so elegantly! Also their clothes imply their personality. There is a scene where girls wear the pajamas: Connie, who is sweet and frank, wears a hoody; Giselle wears a blouse, and betty wears a silk shirt. The clothes are really a charming part in this movie. As for “the Spring comes”, their clothes are more simple, and express more the social class of characters.
Ya-Lin H.

Re: 18 - Film Review

Post by Ya-Lin H. »

Hi Meiyi!

I agree with a lot of the comments and points you made in your essay, such as the difference in portrayal of life between two movies (actually mentioned about that a little in my essay as well). I also liked how you stated that there are many Cailings in the world that are confused about not being able to achieve their dreams, I think this is an important social issue of the modern era, how invisible lines between classes are drawn but not often discussed about, do you think that this is a problem in China today as well? To revise your paper, I would suggest referring back to your thesis statement, “From my point of view, these two movies express different attitudes towards the question: How to achieve our life?” at the end of your essay to make a conclusive statement. Also, I would add transitional phrases or “links” in between your body paragraphs to make the essay more cohesive as a whole. I look forward to your response:)
Katherine M.

Re: 18 - Film Review

Post by Katherine M. »

Hi MeiYi,
I enjoyed reading your film review on the American movie “Mona Lisa Smile” and the Chinese movie “And the Spring Comes”. I would recommend adding an introduction paragraph to the beginning of your essay introducing your thoughts and giving a brief background sentence or two. This will help set the stage for the rest of your essay.

I agree that in “Mona Lisa Smile”, Katherine Watson is willing to go against the traditionalist teachings and instead teach her students to follow their heart rather than conform to the expectations of society.

How do you feel about her teachings? Do you agree or disagree??

The pressures of conforming to society’s pressures as well as others expectations is definitely a issue in the United States today. For example, it is “expected” that kids attend college immediately after completing High School. Although this may be the “expectation”, some kids are simply not ready for that transition and it ends up negatively hurting them. Either they aren’t ready for that next stage and end up struggling and either don’t make it through or receive a degree in something that they are not passionate about.
Is this the case in China as well?? Add a few sentences or a mini paragraph and relate it to "Mona Lisa Smile".

I agree that characters in “Mona Lisa Smile” represent the “ideal” world while “And the Spring Comes” takes a much more realistic approach. Very few American films show the pain and emotions related to the struggles of the past. I noticed that “And the Spring Comes” seeks to capture reality taking on the issues very directly and rather harshly whereas American films often exaggerate characters’ appearance and take a gentler approach to the challenges our society faces. Do all Chinese films tend to take more realistic approach??

The paragraph that says, “one tells us happiness is important, while the other lets us know the realization is that hard” can you expand upon this thought?
When I watched the two movies I thought happiness was an outcome in both. For “And the Spring Comes” Wang Tsai-ling overcomes the pain and emotions of being different by giving up her dream and adopting an orphan child that ultimately brought her happiness. On the other hand, “Mona Lisa Smile” after initially disrespecting her for encouraging girls to go against societies traditional career path for women, a few of Ms. Watson’s students thanked her for pushing them to pursue the career they are most passionate about.

I like your comments on the clothing and physical appearance of the characters and how those non-verbal strategies can communicate emotions to the viewer. You’re off to a good start but can you add a few more examples to that paragraph? I think that will strengthen it.

Finally, your essay just ends. Add a couple concluding sentences to wrap up your thoughts and give the reader a summary of your key points.

Grammar: “2” should be spelled out to “two” and try to avoid using “…” because that signals an incomplete thought.

I look forward to reading your essay again!

Katie McMillan