Language Learning in Early Childhood and L2 Learning

Julia B., Jessica H., Chelsea R., Quihui P., Lilin X., and Ruotong Z.
Jessica H.

Post by Jessica H. »

ENGLISH 463
Jessica H.

As I began to read this new book I decided to read “backwards.” I started with chapter two and then chapter one first because it interested me right away since working with language learners is my area of interest. This chapter made me think about my husband during his two English language learning experiences in Colombia and in the U.S. To summarize it all, he learned English more quickly and better here in the U.S because he was 100% immersed in the language. As mentioned in the chapter that happens with L2 learners, he also needed to use it immediately and daily so his language learning experience was different from a child’s learning experience and different form my own as well.

As mentioned on page 38, “Older second language learners are often forced to speak from the earliest days of learning, whether to meet requirements of classroom instructions or to carry out everyday tasks such as shopping, medical visits, or job interviews” and this is exactly what happened with my husband, Jairo. In Colombia once his bosses found out he was taking English classes they would often go to him at the factory he worked and try to have him translate a manual for a new machine. The issue of course was that he was only a beginner learner and had not yet acquired the knowledge yet but only the basics such as the numbers and very basic sentences.

His language learning experience was not as easy as it would have been for a child because of having to balance work, school and family life. It was difficult for him to work until 5:00 pm, get to school by 6:00 pm to start class which then ended at 8:30 pm and then have to go to sleep and start the routine all over again. Fast forward to a while later after he had arrived to the States with me and without knowing his background, many people expected him to be proficient in the language or to understand them when they spoke; this turned out to be difficult for him because the majority of people he spoke with often mumbled when they spoke, spoke quickly, or had a different accent from my own or from his English teachers.

On page 39 it talked about the issues that go on when learning a language in a classroom and this reminded me of when I taught English abroad. I was often confused about what the correct way was in language instruction and there was always an issue with the teachers agreeing whether Spanish should be used in the classroom or not. Some said that when teaching grammar, socializing, or when dealing with classroom management, that it was fine to use Spanish in the classroom. When the student was having a hard time understanding the material after various attempts at explaining, then the teacher should resort to Spanish. Others said that NO Spanish should be used at all no matter how difficult because the idea was to get students used to the language and to use their problem solving skills to figure it out no matter how frustrating it was for the teacher or the student.

On page 39 as well is spoke about how people often times do not correct a language learner because it is considered impolite if the person “corrected someone who was trying to have a conversations with them.” When thinking about my own experiences with learning French and then also Spanish outside of the U.S in a Spanish speaking country (because in the U.S I spoke Spanglish…which is not considered a dialect), I know that I welcome correction in the classroom because I do not want to create a bad habit however I also wanted these corrections to translate to outside of the classroom but I noticed that once I was outside of the room with my teacher and would continue talking in Spanish or French, then they would not correct me because it was more like socializing rather than instruction.

I related a lot to the part in the chapter where it says “In a situations where a second language speaker appears to use inappropriate language, interlocutors may feel uncomfortable, not knowing whether the speaker intends to be rude or simply does not know the polite way to say what is intended” (pg. 39, Lightbrown, Spade). This reminds me of an instance where my husband was perceived as being rude because of his word choice. He and I were in a group conversation and although he is normally very quiet, he wanted to add something to the conversation and so he said “Can I talk?” (without a high pitch). I noticed at that moment everyone’s reaction from a slight shock and could tell that it seemed as if they felt that he perceived the group as them not letting him be a part of the conversation. I was even a bit surprised that he asked to speak in that way but quickly realized what was going on. In Spanish “Can I talk?” can sound very polite depending on the exact word that is used. Later on after we separated from the group I told him that it sounds better and more polite to say “Can/May I say something?” or “Can/May I interject?”

I see that many times there is a lot of miscommunication between communities of people when it comes to language learners and native English speakers. I truly think that a small solution to all of these problems here in the States would be that all students from kindergarten through college take mandatory language courses. This would allow students to experience the struggle of learning a language and would be more sympathetic to others.

We can see in the third paragraph on page 41 that “…language learners do not learn language simply through imitation and practice… [They] are best described as developing systems with their own evolving rules and patterns, not simply as imperfect versions of target language.” This last part that I italicized really hit me in the sense that this was my flawed perception. I didn’t realize until now that it makes perfect sense, that language learners are not deficient, the errors they make are truly a sign of growth and increase knowledge because they are forming sentences with errors that are quite logical if you think about it. It makes perfect sense when it says in the text that the learners are “…developing knowledge of the structure of the target language rather than an attempt to transfer patterns of their first language.” Yes, transfer happens but I see now that it is not the only thing that happens.

Discussion question:

1- With the diversity that we have here in the U.S and the many people who are certified to teach Spanish in schools. Why do you think that there aren’t more schools around the districts implementing a full day Spanish immersion programs. (or any other language?)
Ruotong Z.

Re: Language Learning in Early Childhood and L2 Learning

Post by Ruotong Z. »

Hi, Jessica!
I'm glad to read your paper!
It seems like your husband has same experience with me in learning 'another' language. In many cases, I don't know how to speak properly or meet the customs of that country. Because of different kinds of culture and history, learning a new language is not so easy. I think that any language is made from a long, long period of time, so it is difficult for us to learn another language without studying for a long time. Speak easily, it means that if I was not born in China, I should also take a long time to learn Chinese. Not that because I'm a Chinese, I was born with Chinese. This may prove that the environment affects the abilty to learn a language.
So about your question, I think maybe it's because there are so many people using English in the United States that it's not necessary to teach a new language to use it? After all, English is already a "DE facto" official language in the United States. Of course, learning another language helps us learn more about culture and history. This is also necessary.
Again, very happy to read your paper!
Jessica H.

Post by Jessica H. »

Hello Ruotong,

Thank you for your response. Do you think that you would need to know the culture fully in order to learn the language? In this case, English?
Also, do you think that native speakers of any language should also learn the language as foreign language students learn and know it? For example, I have found that many foreign language students know the structure of English more than native English speakers and that is because they have to learn it, whereas native speakers don't HAVE to know the small details of the language- they just know it.

In regards to my discussion question, Spanish is the second most common language in the United States and when I think about it, I feel that it is necessary for Americans to learn a second language and it should be a requirement for everyone. I believe this would make people more culturally sensitive to others and will create unity.
Ruotong Z.

Post by Ruotong Z. »

Hello Jessica,
I think know the culture fully in order to learn the language is necessary, but almost impossible. Because we can't learn the culture entirely. How to say, even I was born in China, I don't know clearly about the traditional culture. That is, every country has its own culture and not so easy to understand, maybe we all this "culture shock". So even we experienced another country's culture, I mean not just learn it, we still couldn't know of it. Culture is very very very to "digest" I think.
Emmm, I think the native speakers could not learn the language as foreign language students learn it. As for me, I don't know much about the Chinese language knowledge, but it's enough for me. So if it's enough, we can learn as much as we want. Of course, learning more is extremely great.