Identity and Dreams

kcy5041

Identity and Dreams

Post by kcy5041 »

Kevin Yu

Both Mona Lisa Smile and And the Spring Comes discuss the importance of identity and reaching for one’s goals, especially when it exists in opposition to society. While Mona Lisa Smile showcases an optimistic, western point of view regarding its topics, And the Spring Comes contrasts it with a more somber tone, illustrating an Eastern perspective.
Starting with And the Spring Comes, its protagonist, Wang Tsailing, is portrayed as a near tortured soul. A big fish in a small pond, she dreams and pretends to have a successful life as an opera singer in Beijing. In reality, Wang Tsailing is deeply unsatisfied as a teacher in a small town, and is constantly looking for fulfillment, through both achievement and companionship. All of this culminates in illustrating her as both pitiful and pathetic, as well as her goals being delusional pipe dreams. To further emphasize this point, many of the scenes within the movie are shot to show just how low Wang really is. Her drunken ramblings occur in near darkness, while an empathetic bartender tells her to go home. During an opportunity to showcase her singing talent, the frame is shot from a distance, showing Wang as both tiny and insignificant, less relevant than the falling snow.
As a result of all of this, Wang is powerless, a victim to her genetics, her circumstances, and her own unrealistic aspirations. She is unable to make meaningful changes, even failing at ending her own life. She is trapped, bound by the expectations of women, to be married and happily in love. She is also made miserable, by knowing that who she is and who she would like to be are worlds apart, and the more she lies to herself, the less convincing it is.
What I find most surprising about And the Spring Comes is just how bleak and relentless it is. Unlike most Western movies, such as the Mona Lisa Smile, there is no feel-good message at the end, nor is protagonist rewarded with accomplishing her goals. At the end of the Mona List Smile, Katherine leaves on an empowering note, refusing to abide by the limitations set by the university, and her position is validated by the support of Betty and her students as she rides off. In this Western movie, the theme seems to be that you should follow your dreams and stay true to your ambitions no matter what, and that you will be rewarded for your efforts.
In contrast, Spring gives a more pessimistic message, encouraging its viewers to be realistic, and not blinded by unattainable dreams. Every attempt Wang makes towards her goals of being married or ending up on stage leave her miserable, humiliated, and even more broken. By the end of the movie, Wang only obtains some semblance of happiness by giving her dreams up all together, and largely seems to have accepted her circumstances. Just like Hu, Wang realizes that struggling against the suffocation of society’s expectations is a fruitless endeavor. While Hu runs away from society to search for acceptance in prison, Wang quietly resigns to her role as an outsider, adopting a daughter and remaining unmarried, still an outcast in her small town.
The contrast seen between And the Spring Comes and Mona Lisa Smile in regards to its depiction of identity and dreams seems emblematic of different perspectives in Eastern and Western culture. One suggests prioritization of your dreams and establishment of your identity against all odds, while the other encourages conformation and a somewhat passive acceptance of society. Which ideology we subscribe to and which movie we find more compelling will depends on our own personal experiences.

Re: Identity and Dreams

Post by 1216306811 »

Hi, Kevin
Your passage makes me have a new feeling for these two movies. Unlike our focus on female independence, your feelings are focused on the importance of identity and reaching for one's goals, especially when it exists in opposition to society. In addition to this, you also take into account Chinese and Western cultural factors. By analyzing the two films from this aspect, you can feel that you have a deep research on the two films and your own unique insights.
After reading your review, I think your impression of Wang is somehow pitiful and sad, to a certain extent it is true. But in fact at that time, women were bound by feudal traditional ideas, Wang can already say to be a very brave image, who dares to resist.
Finally, I also agree with what you say, which ideology we subscribe to and which movie we find more compelling will depends on our own personal experiences. Both of these movies are rare masterpieces, and they all have their own extraordinary influence. At that time, there was also a certain enlightenment in that era, I hope more people can see them and learn something from them.
Ji Ziyan&Liyan

Post by 1501618883 »

Hi, Kevin
I guess you must have seen the movie several times because you offer some really interesting and insightful observations in the essay. Your movie essay revolved around the theme of identity and goals, which the two films have in common. I agree with you about Wang Cailing. As a teacher in small town, she tries in vain to be an opera singer. She brags so much about himself that she believes it. Obviously, she doesn’t recognize her identity, talents, circumstances and so on, which is also a true portrayal of Chinese youth's blind pursuit of dreams and art.
And I find that you are very good at contrast. The difference between the two movies in your review is very exhaustive and thorough, which is my weakness. But I think the analysis of Mona Lisa Smile could have been more extensive. Because I don't seem to have a real understanding of it after reading.
In general, I really appreciate your movie review, especially the part about And the Spring Comes. Your linguistic competence is excellent.
Wang Wenjing

From the title, I can clearly catch what you are going to discuss in your review. You paid attention to the different attitudes on reaching for one's goals, and it is the point you talked a lot. Moreover, you observed the details of the film very carefully. However, you wrote a lot about the differences between the two films, but you just wrote a few words about the similarities. Maybe you can make analysis about their similarities in more words. Moreover, why the two people had different experiences? Maybe you can add more about the social backgrounds. Last but not least, you made identity be your theme, but I can't understand through your words. Looking forward for your reply.
Fan Kaiyi
kcy5041

Post by kcy5041 »

1501618883 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:22 am Hi, Kevin
I guess you must have seen the movie several times because you offer some really interesting and insightful observations in the essay. Your movie essay revolved around the theme of identity and goals, which the two films have in common. I agree with you about Wang Cailing. As a teacher in small town, she tries in vain to be an opera singer. She brags so much about himself that she believes it. Obviously, she doesn’t recognize her identity, talents, circumstances and so on, which is also a true portrayal of Chinese youth's blind pursuit of dreams and art.
And I find that you are very good at contrast. The difference between the two movies in your review is very exhaustive and thorough, which is my weakness. But I think the analysis of Mona Lisa Smile could have been more extensive. Because I don't seem to have a real understanding of it after reading.
In general, I really appreciate your movie review, especially the part about And the Spring Comes. Your linguistic competence is excellent.
Wang Wenjing

From the title, I can clearly catch what you are going to discuss in your review. You paid attention to the different attitudes on reaching for one's goals, and it is the point you talked a lot. Moreover, you observed the details of the film very carefully. However, you wrote a lot about the differences between the two films, but you just wrote a few words about the similarities. Maybe you can make analysis about their similarities in more words. Moreover, why the two people had different experiences? Maybe you can add more about the social backgrounds. Last but not least, you made identity be your theme, but I can't understand through your words. Looking forward for your reply.
Fan Kaiyi
Thank you both for your responses. To Wang Wenjing. I agree that I could have spent more time reflecting on Mona Lisa Smile. Between the two movies, I found And the Sping Comes to be more compiling. I saw it as a new and original story, while I have seen countless movies similar to a Mona Lisa Smile. In my edit, I will put more work into examining the difference between the two, and perhaps cover more on why I found Mona Lisa Smile less compelling.

To Fan Kaiyi, I think you made a good point that my essay is more lopsided to dreams rather than identity. I talk briefly about who I think Wang Cailing is, and who should would like to be, but I agree that most of my discussion is seen through the lenses of her dreams. I think I may either switch up the title or talk more about Wang Cailing's personal view of herself.

To both, I am interested to hear your feelings on And the Spring Comes. I have not seen much of Chinese cinema, is this type of film common? Are the themes and topics brought up in the film often seen in other movies?

Again, thank you both for your comments.
kcy5041

Post by kcy5041 »

Kevin Yu

Both Mona Lisa Smile and And the Spring Comes discuss the importance of identity and the pains of reaching for one’s goals, especially when it exists in opposition to society. While Mona Lisa Smile showcases an optimistic, western point of view regarding its topics, And the Spring Comes contrasts it with a more somber tone, illustrating an Eastern perspective.
Starting with And the Spring Comes, its protagonist, Wang Tsailing, is portrayed as a near tortured soul. A big fish in a small pond, she dreams and pretends to have a successful life as an opera singer in Beijing. In reality, Wang Tsailing is deeply unsatisfied as a teacher in a small town, and is constantly looking for fulfillment, through both achievement and companionship. All of this culminates in illustrating her as both pitiful and pathetic, as well as her goals being delusional pipe dreams.
The cinematography of the movie also serves to further emphasize Wang’s position. Many of the scenes within the movie are shot to show just how low Wang really is. Her drunken ramblings occur in near darkness, while an empathetic bartender tells her to go home. During an opportunity to showcase her singing talent, the frame is shot from a distance, showing Wang as both tiny and insignificant, less relevant than the falling snow.
As a result of all of this, Wang is powerless, a victim to her genetics, her circumstances, and her own unrealistic aspirations. She is unable to make meaningful changes, even failing at ending her own life. She is trapped, bound by the expectations of women, to be married and happily in love. She is also made miserable, by knowing that who she is and who she would like to be are worlds apart, and the more she lies to herself, the less convincing it is.
Wang’s struggles with identity are directly contrasted with the stories of Hu and her student. Both eventually obtain what Wang desires. Hu finds a place where he is accepted for who he who truly is, while Wang’s student achieves the success and fame she has always dreamed about. At the ending of both story arcs, Wang storms off, depressed and alone once more. It is only at the end of the movie when Wang finally settles and accepts her role, as an everyday person in an unimportant town, that she finally achieves some semblance of happiness.
Compared to Spring, Mona Lisa Smile is almost sickeningly saccharine, and Katherine never once approaches the lows of Wang. Throughout the movie, while she faces oppression, the movie never seems to indicate that Katherine is wrong or misguided in her efforts. Her ideas on female empowerment and her status as a role model for her students are entirely supported and pushed by the movie. This can even be seen in how Katherine is visually presented throughout the movie. Katherine is portrayed by conventionally attractive Julia Roberts, and is constantly seen in clothing that is more modern and stylish, making her stand out when compared to other members of the cast, who dress in a more traditional and old-fashioned method. These visual cues help showcase Katherine as a pioneer and trailblazer, and further solidifies that the audience should identify and agrees with her.
After watching both movies, what I found most surprising about And the Spring Comes is just how bleak and relentless it is. Unlike most Western movies, such as the Mona Lisa Smile, there is no feel-good message at the end, nor is protagonist rewarded with accomplishing her goals. At the end of the Mona List Smile, Katherine leaves on an empowering note, refusing to abide by the limitations set by the university, and her position is validated by the support of Betty and her students as she rides off. In this Western movie, the theme seems to be that you should follow your dreams and stay true to your ambitions no matter what, and that you will be rewarded for your efforts.
In contrast, Spring gives a more pessimistic message, encouraging its viewers to be realistic, and not blinded by unattainable dreams. Every attempt Wang makes towards her goals of being married or ending up on stage leave her miserable, humiliated, and even more broken. By the end of the movie, Wang only obtains some semblance of happiness by giving her dreams up all together, and largely seems to have accepted her circumstances. Just like Hu, Wang realizes that struggling against the suffocation of society’s expectations is a fruitless endeavor. While Hu runs away from society to search for acceptance in prison, Wang quietly resigns to her role as an outsider, adopting a daughter and remaining unmarried, still an outcast in her small town.

The contrast seen between And the Spring Comes and Mona Lisa Smile in regards to its depiction of identity and dreams seems emblematic of different perspectives in Eastern and Western culture. One suggests prioritization of your dreams and establishment of your identity against all odds, while the other encourages conformation and a somewhat passive acceptance of society. Which ideology we subscribe to and which movie we find more compelling will depends on our own personal experiences.
kcy5041

Post by kcy5041 »

Border Crossing Reflection:

1. I expected this border crossing to be an introduction into different perspectives both through film and interaction with Chinese students. I would say this expectations has been met. I saw a film that I found unlike most American I have watched, and my interpretation of these moves both were similar and different to that of Chinese students.

2. I noticed several unique traits in the responses and analyses of my Chinese counterparts. First, many of them also delved into the historical contexts of the movie, such as the setting of both Mona Lisa Smile and As the Spring comes. They used analyses to further discuss the factors that may have influence the character's motivations and ideologies. Second, many of the responses saw both movies differently than I did. They either believed the ending of Mona Lisa Smile was more negative than I perceived it, or that And the Spring Comes was more positive. Lastly, I saw that in some analyses, they linked persepctives of And the Spring Comes to what they thought common Chinese mentalities and perspective were, which matched how I compared Mona Lisa Smile to traditional American values and themes.

3. I tried to touch upon what my commenters had responded to me. They mentioned that both identity and Mona Lisa Smile were not as fully discussed in my essay, so I tried to add extra detail regarding both points. I had a lot to cover in my first draft of the essay, and I wasn't sure how to best format or balance my conversation. The comments helped illuminate what I was missing, and I think I modified my essay in response to these comments.

4. I believe this experience was helpful. Throughout our lives, we will commonly have to work with people of different backgrounds and cultures, and further exposure to them can only be beneficial. I think this experience will better my skills at communication across these boundaries, which will prove useful as a lifelong skill.

7. 3 words I would use to describe my feelings would be: confused, optimistic, and appreciative. I was first confused when the actual activity was first bought up. I wasn't sure how we could adequate express and share our respective feelings. Once I learned the details of the activity, and how we were going to comment and watch an American movies and a Chinese movie, I was excited to watch Chinese cinema, and to have to discuss it with someone of a Chinese background. I thought this would be a good chance to watch a unique type of movie, while also getting to know and meet new people. Lastly, I was appreciative of the effort and time the Chiense students put into their response and their analyses. As someone learning Chinese right now, I do not believe I would be able to write and communicate as effective as they did, and I appreciate that they were able to do it in their non-native language.

8. I don't really have any comments about things for improvement. If anything, I would appreciate more of a personal interaction between the students, say through a voice call or some other means. This way, we could have discussions regarding our analyses in method beyond just text comments. In all other aspects, I thought the activity was done well.