Movie Essay

jtw5387

Movie Essay

Post by jtw5387 »

Jacob Wang

“And the Spring Comes” and “Mona Lisa Smile” are films that make interesting comments on Chinese and American culture, respectively. These movies share a lot in common and exemplify many of the same sentiments about life and culture. Both films feature a female protagonist. Coincidentally, both female protagonists are teachers of some kind. In “And the Spring Comes”, Wang Tsailing is a school teacher in a poor industrial town. In “Mona Lisa Smile”, Katherine Watson is professor of art history at a small liberal arts college. Both women share similar experiences as they attempt to transcend traditional cultural values to pursue their own interests.

Throughout these two films, both protagonists struggle with pursuing their own personal dreams and adhering to traditional cultural values. In “And the Spring Comes”, Tsailing is an extremely talented singer who aspires to be an opera singer for the national theater. However, she is forced to relinquish her aspirations of becoming a singer and instead settles for a lowly teaching job. The film goes to great lengths to emphasize how miserable Tsailing’s life is for the entirety of the film. She lives a lonely, routine life and also meets several other talented individuals who, like Tsailing, were forced to give up their personal dreams to conform to traditional societal values. The way that Tsailing is portrayed makes it seem as if the movie attempts to make commentary on Chinese society. The film seems to infer that life in China is largely meaningless and incredibly bland. The characters in the film also seem to exemplify this trend. It is as if individuality is discouraged in their culture and conformity is expected. The way Tsailing is portrayed in the film is an example of a non-verbal cue.

Katherine Watson’s life in “Mona Lisa Smile” is quite similar to Tsailing’s. Katherine is a liberal female professor with some radical views and opinions for the time period. Throughout the film, she tries to pass along her ideas and values to her students at Wellesley College. However, this doesn’t go as well as she plans. Katherine was disciplined by college officials for her views, since the college is quite conservative and doesn’t wish for her to be spreading these ideas. Most girls who attend this school do so with one goal after graduation; to get married. One such girl is Betty Warren, a conservative girl who values traditional family and marriage. Betty repeatedly disagrees with Katherine throughout the film and admonishes her for her liberal views. Another character more similar to Katherine is Giselle Levy, who excellently portrays the sexual revolution of the time. She is also a student of Katherine’s and her promiscuous behavior clearly represents a deviation from the traditional cultural values in America. In the end, Katherine is forced to leave her job after refusing to give up her beliefs.

Katherine’s story exemplifies the traditional American belief that women should marry and be satisfied with being a housewife. The kind of classes taught at Wellesley are proof of this. These classes include deportment, grooming and table setting, and other such classes who hold no educational value but instead prepare women for life as a wife. “Mona Lisa Smile” makes more commentary on the plight of women in society than “Spring” does. All choices made in the movie seem to promote a “free spirit” type of mindset in a closed and socially immobile culture.
University: Suzhou University of Science and Technology

Re: Movie Essay

Post by 1822542008 »

First of all, I am very honored to read your article. Your entire essay is clearly constructed, and in the first paragraph it is clear that the main idea of your entire essay is: they attempt to transcend traditional culture values to pursue their own interest. Next, a paragraph around the And the Spring Comes , another paragraph around the Mona Lisa smile to start the description, the last paragraph is the summary. But I think it would be more perfect to add some film details to the description of the two films to support your argument. At the same time, if you can add some narration of the historical background of China and America that these two films want to reflect, you may have some deeper analysis on the historical background and the cultural comparison between China and America, which will make the overall content of the article more substantial. Besides, I don't think Catherine was forced to leave. She leaves easy. From the scene when she finally leaves and the students come to chase her off, it can be seen that her brief arrival has given the students a new lease of life, and even Betty, who was so opposed to her ideas at the beginning, boldly filed for divorce at the end.
The above is my personal opinion. I hope to provide help to your article modification. By the way, are you used to using WeChat for communication? If possible, could you please give me your WeChat? If not, your email address is also available, so that we can exchange our detailed opinions in private.

Post by 1787523600 »

Dear Jacob,
Again we deal with a similar theme! You mentioned "Both women share similar experiences as they attempt to transcend traditional cultural values to pursue their own interests" Exactly, both Katherine and Tsailing journey down their self-awareness throughout their lives. After giving their parallels you discussed the two details of plots respectively; and the last paragraph echoes the theme as the plight of women.
On the other hand, I do have some questions. You mentioned that "life in China is largely meaningless and incredibly bland" but without pointing out the time period. Indeed as the "Spring"'s screenwriter said that this is a movie about young people in 1980's Chinese chaging society. But I think more details about that time are necessary here. In addition, your conclusion "Mona Lisa Smile” makes more commentary on the plight of women in society than “Spring” does" makes me a little confused. From my understanding, both movies revolve around women's plight but just in different ways. In terms of identities and background, I am always wondering whether Tsailing’s circumstance is more complicating than Katherine's or not.
I would appreciate your reply. :)

Zhu Ke
skm5765

Post by skm5765 »

Hi Jacob,
You did a great job in your analysis of the main theme presented in both films. I like how you make two separate paragraphs to analyze the films individually while still adhering to your main point, makes your essay more coherent and clear. Although I do recommend you to conclude more specific scenes as example(s) to support your claim, especially for the Chinese film, And the Spring Comes. You emphasized the idea of individuality versus conformity in your observation of the film which I am probably unaware of when I was watching it. I think it would be best if you could elaborate more on this point as I would love to understand how you perceived this notion portrayed in the film. All in all, great work!
jtw5387

Post by jtw5387 »

Jacob Wang

“And the Spring Comes” and “Mona Lisa Smile” are films that make interesting comments on Chinese and American culture, respectively. These movies share a lot in common and exemplify many of the same sentiments about life and culture. Both films feature a female protagonist. Coincidentally, both female protagonists are teachers of some kind. In “And the Spring Comes”, Wang Tsailing is a school teacher in a poor industrial town. In “Mona Lisa Smile”, Katherine Watson is professor of art history at a small liberal arts college. Both women share similar experiences as they attempt to transcend traditional cultural values to pursue their own interests.

Throughout these two films, both protagonists struggle with pursuing their own personal dreams and adhering to traditional cultural values. In “And the Spring Comes”, Tsailing is an extremely talented singer who aspires to be an opera singer for the national theater. However, she is forced to relinquish her aspirations of becoming a singer and instead settles for a lowly teaching job. The film goes to great lengths to emphasize how miserable Tsailing’s life is for the entirety of the film. She lives a lonely, routine life and also meets several other talented individuals who, like Tsailing, were forced to give up their personal dreams to conform to traditional societal values. The way that Tsailing is portrayed makes it seem as if the movie attempts to make commentary on Chinese society. The film seems to infer that life in China during this time period was difficult and bland. The characters in the film also seem to exemplify this trend. It is as if individuality is discouraged in their culture and conformity is expected. The way Tsailing is portrayed in the film is an example of a non-verbal cue.

Katherine Watson’s life in “Mona Lisa Smile” is quite similar to Tsailing’s. Katherine is a liberal female professor with some radical views and opinions for the time period. Throughout the film, she tries to pass along her ideas and values to her students at Wellesley College. However, this doesn’t go as well as she plans. Katherine was disciplined by college officials for her views, since the college is quite conservative and doesn’t wish for her to be spreading these ideas. Most girls who attend this school do so with one goal after graduation; to get married. One such girl is Betty Warren, a conservative girl who values traditional family and marriage. Betty repeatedly disagrees with Katherine throughout the film and admonishes her for her liberal views. Another character more similar to Katherine is Giselle Levy, who excellently portrays the sexual revolution of the time. She is also a student of Katherine’s and her promiscuous behavior clearly represents a deviation from the traditional cultural values in America. In the end, Katherine is forced to leave her job after refusing to give up her beliefs.

Katherine’s story exemplifies the traditional American belief that women should marry and be satisfied with being a housewife. The kind of classes taught at Wellesley are proof of this. These classes include deportment, grooming and table setting, and other such classes who hold no educational value but instead prepare women for life as a wife. “Mona Lisa Smile” makes more commentary on the plight of women in society than “Spring” does. All choices made in the movie seem to promote a “free spirit” type of mindset in a closed and socially immobile culture.