Historical Backgrounds and Personal Pursuits

oum64
University: Penn State University

Re: Historical Backgrounds and Personal Pursuits

Post by oum64 »

1578267199 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:48 pm
oum64 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:44 pm Zhang,

This was a wonderfully written and detailed analysis of the films that shows the side of what feminism truly means. My favorite portion of your writing was when you stated, "no matter what kind of choice, as long as they really want, should be respected. This is the true meaning of female freedom". This idea was the mainstream thought of the feminist movement in America. If a woman wanted a career, she should be able to have one. If a woman wanted to be a housewife, she should be able to be one. The notion of actually having a respected choice is what feminism truly is.

For me, I personally would like a bit more on what you think about the American ideology of women 'returning home'. I was a little confused and I think if you elaborate further on your conclusion of the first part of your paper, your arguement would be a bit stronger.

I look forward to hearing more about your ideas and philosophies that you have presented in your paper!

All the best,
Olivia Myers :)
Dear Olivia Myers
I am very glad to have the opportunity to communicate with you. The content of my article about American women's "home consciousness" is based on the information I have consulted. In the last century, capitalist countries generally adopted family-strengthening policies, believing that the mother's child care would help the country's future, and women were legally allowed to work only if men did not interfere with their family obligations. In addition, the United States has presented its citizens with many blueprints for a better family life. At the end of the war, there were large numbers of soldiers who had to take over women's jobs during the war, so women had to go home. This is not only the tradition, but also the influence of the war. So I think that the American women's strong desire to go home was largely influenced by the social environment at that time, and to some extent, their sense of self was controlled by the environment.
From
Zhang Peiyun :D
Dear Zhang Peiyun,
Thank you for your response.
I think I understand the point you are making. Women are returning to the family life they have at home while the men replace them at work. This also means that women are returning to a more nurturing place in society as men are back into the workforce. The concept of a nuclear family has been the basis of American culture and the way our generations of children are taught and raised. With women taking care of the home and educating the children, men protect the family and provide for their means of life. It is thought that having men in the workforce that are motivated to provide for their families is the key to a hard-working society. Women's roles were then to raise the next generation of women to be like them and the boys to take responsibilities like the father. In 'broken homes' of either unmarried people, divorced couples, or single parents, it is harder for them to become successful in this type of economic society.
All the best,
Olivia Myers