Alvin's Reflection

akd5439

Alvin's Reflection

Post by akd5439 »

1)What were your expectations for the border-crossing activity? Are your expectations
met? Why or why not?
I didn’t really have an expectation walking into this assignment, however, I was surprised how proficient the Chinese students were with English.
2) Please name three things that struck you most when you interacted with the Chinese
peers, and explain why. (You may comment on the differences and/or similarities in
lexical choice, writing style, idea presentation, rhetorical preference, cultural convention
etc.)
The writing style seemed different but I can’t put a word to it. All the paragraphs were short and talked about a concise idea.
One Chinese student, Li Shiayo, was the only person I read that actually compared and contrasted the films instead of talking about the similarities. I stuck out to me.
The interpretation of both films seem to be the same with both English and Chinese students.
3) Did you incorporate what had been discussed into the revised draft? If so, please
elaborate on how the discussion had led to the revisions you made. If not, please explain why.
My fellow peers suggested that I revise my paper a little because it seemed rigid. I guess the flow of the paper seemed choppy, so I went back and made it flow better. Another peer told me to add in more examples for Mona Lisa Smile to better connect it with And the Spring comes. That was an easy fix.
4) Do you think the activity is beneficial to you in terms of knowledge gains or skill
enhancement? If so, please elaborate. If not, please explain why.
I think it is beneficial in the fact that it allows American students to have a glimpse of the work other students of different do in education. There is always knowledge gained whenever we learn about a nation outside of America.
7) Could you provide three adjectives to describe your feelings about the activity? Please
explain your choice.
Educational- I learned something new about about Chinese students write English and their different style
Unexpected- Like I said earlier, I didn’t have any expectations
Typical- This assignment wasn’t too different from any other assignment I had
8) Any additional comments, suggestions, and observations you would like to make to
better help us assess your performance in this activity?
If it was for the unexpected pandemic, I would suggest a more one one one approach in talking to the Chinese students so it felt more like a pen pal experience.