A Movie Review of “Mona Lisa Smile” and “And the Spring Comes”

Re: A Movie Review of “Mona Lisa Smile” and “And the Spring Comes”

Post by 1119644748 »

Hi, Rachel

Thank you for liking our article and our affirmation of my article. We will work harder in the future!

Thank you for your suggestion on looking more into the social and cultural differences and similarities at the time. Your comment gave me the idea to mention that although these movies take place at different times, they have similar social backgrounds. It is very interesting that these films take place a few decades apart, but the people in the films have similar social standards. "And the Spring Comes" is the story of the period from 1984 to 1994, when people gradually realized the importance of money, the trend of "all things to money" appeared in society, and high culture was gradually rejected by people. Just like you said, Katherine and the students' lives as not realistic or "the ideal" because of the extreme wealth and their lavish lifestyle being able to attend college in the 1950's.

I'll take your advice and put it into some cultural context. Maybe you could tell me more about the social norms and attitudes toward women in the 1950s. We look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
Jinghan Cheng&Haiping Shi
rzp80

Post by rzp80 »

Dear Jinghan Cheng and Haiping Shi,
I think you could discuss the similarities between both cultures despite the time difference as you mentioned in your reply. You have good insight on these ideas. Maybe you could compare/contrast Wang Cailing's neighbor and a women from Mona Lisa Smile?

For social norms and attitude towards women in 1950's, the best way I can describe it is women were expected to run the home. There was a huge emphasis on getting married, and any women who didn't was considered to be not good enough for marriage. All women should want to have big families and religion (specifically Christianity) was heavily emphasized. There was also a lot of sexism, meaning women were portrayed as stupid and helpless in films and TV shows made in the 1950's. Because Mona Lisa Smile was made in the 2000's there is less sexism embedded in the film than you would see if it was made in the 1950's. I believe you mentioned in one of your comments that heavy makeup and fancy outfits were not appropriate in China during 1980's-1990's. For women in the 1950's makeup was subtle, but women were expected to always look presentable in public.

I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Rachel Phillips

Post by 1119644748 »

Hi, Rachel
Thank you for your advice, and I will sincerely take it!

After listening to your introduction, I have a deeper understanding of the two protagonists struggling in the darkness of oppression. I deeply realized how difficult it is for them to pursue their ideals. You have been very helpful to me in characterizing the characters and deepening the theme.
I still want to focus my topic on dreams and reality, and integrate some social attitudes towards women, which will enrich my article.

I accept your suggestion to compare Wang Cailing's neighbor with a woman from Mona Lisa Smile to show the similarities between the two cultures. Maybe I can show it not only from the characters, but also from the visual effects of the movie or other nonverbal strategies. We are looking forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
Jinghan Cheng&Haiping Shi

Post by 1119644748 »

Hi Li and Zhou
I believe we will have more cooperation in the following study. In this activity, we also learned a lot from your articles, such as the clever title of the article, the use of nonverbal description and the rich and accurate use of arguments.It's a process of learning from each other and it's a pleasure to talk to you. :P
Sincerely
Cheng Jinghan and Shi Haiping

Post by 1119644748 »

Revised Essay

A Movie Review of “Mona Lisa Smile” and “And the Spring Comes”

Mona Lisa Smile is a drama film produced by the American revolution film studio. Directed by Mike Newell, the film stars Julia Roberts, Kirsten Dunst and Julia Stiles. The film was first released in the United States on December 19, 2003. And the Spring Comes is a drama film directed by Gu Changwei, starring Jiang Wenli, Li Guangjie and Jiao Gang, released on April 11, 2008. These two films are of great educational significance in the pursuit of self and ideal.

Mona Lisa Smile tells the story: In 1950s America, Catherine, a UCLA art graduate, chooses to teach art history at Wesleyan college, an ancient and traditional girls' school. In the face of America's brightest young women, in the face of old Wesleyan stereotypes, Catherine, full of ideals and passion, boldly challenges the outdated teaching system, giving female students in school and herself, a new perspective on art life and love. And the Spring Comes tells the story of Wang Cailing, an elderly literary woman, who teaches music in a small county school in the 1980s. Although her appearance is not attractive, she has a touching voice and is especially fascinated by opera. Unwilling to lead a mediocre life like those around her, she is determined to root in Beijing. After many hardships, she finally bows to life and shakes hands with the world in her own way.

As far as I’m concerned, two movies’ themes are about dream and reality. Although Catherine and Wang Cailing struggle painfully in the process of the contradiction between dream and reality, they all have a positive spirit of pursuing themselves and their ideals.

In Mona Lisa Smile, at the famous Wesleyan University, students' success is defined as their future marriage. Unlike other teachers, Catherine not only challenges school practices and rules, but also encourages students to explore their own interests and boldly pursue ideals, knowledge and rationality. However, when Catherine is teaching her students, one of the students disagree with her. This student thinks that family is the most important thing and being a mother is the happiest thing. Even in the face of great challenges, Catherine still struggles with the stale reality and backward thoughts. In the end, her struggle undoubtedly awakens some female students like Betty to pursue higher life ideals.

In And the Spring Comes, although Wang Cailing lives in a shabby worker's dormitory and eats instant noodles, she is never tired of practicing Italian, plays the piano and sings songs that clearly express the fullness and firmness of her inner world. Full of ideals and fighting spirit, she is defending her artistic ideals in what she considers the most dignified way. The ironic scenes of the film mainly base Wang's dream of "singing in the Paris opera" on the reality with a great distance from it, which makes her confidence and desolation all the more bitter. When Wang Cailing finds the personnel department of Beijing conservatory of music to introduce herself, she is rebuffed and desperate to sing in an attempt to prove her capacity. Beijing is the refuge of her real life, the only satisfaction to distinguish "mediocrity". Her pride stems from her incompetence, her ugly appearance and withdrawn character, so she can only rely on ideals to support self-esteem.

From the perspective of cultural backgrounds, the protagonists of the two films are in tough times, and it is extremely difficult for them to break the dogma of traditional thinking and pursue their inner dreams.

In Mona Lisa Smile, although the status of women was gradually valued in the 1950s, the feudal ideology of the upper class was still very serious. There was a huge emphasis on getting married, and any women who didn't was considered to be not good enough for marriage. All women should want to have big families and religion (specifically Christianity) was heavily emphasized. This imprisonment and bondage is particularly profound in the film. Although in such a situation, Catherine still doesn’t give up the pursuit of freedom and self-knowledge. Betty, a conservative influenced by her, breaks the shackles of traditional conservative ideas imposed on women and resolutely files for divorce in face of her husband's infidelity.

And the Spring Comes tells the story of the period from 1984 to 1994, which was exactly the period of China's rapid expansion of the market economy, the "modernity" impulse and the desire for modernization. People gradually realized the importance of money and utilitarianism and pragmatism began to prevail. This trend has also affected the cultural sphere, where elegant culture no longer had the ideological superiority and dignity. The fate of Wang Cailing also hints at such an era background.

The difference between the two films is the result of two protagonists. Wang Cailing fails. She gives up her dream and chooses to make peace with the world in her own way. The scene of Wang singing (fantasy) at the end of the film becomes the highlight of the characters' struggle and insistence on their dignity. However, Catherine succeeds. Catherine persistently influences his students and leads them to find themselves to realize their value. Finally, she wins the respect and love of students with her straightforward and enthusiastic teaching style, and is called "Mona Lisa" by female students. In my opinion, women must live for themselves, to have the courage to face the real world, to take the first step with determination and courage, to endure the difficulties and the unknown, to take charge of our own destiny, to be responsible for our own destiny. Maybe we will eventually compromise to the reality, but in the end lead our own way to shake hands with the world, which is also full of happiness. No matter what the outcome, the courage and perseverance to fight against, the bad situation is always praiseworthy.

Both films have achieved good performances in terms of the function of music, which enhances the film effect and renders atmosphere with certain symbolic significance.

In Mona Lisa Smile, the selection of background music and interweaving sublimate the effect of the film. Catherine's first art history lesson begins when Betty says to her teacher, "if you don't have anything else to teach, we'd rather teach ourselves." This sentence highlights the atmosphere at the beginning of the background music. When Catherine's ideal is frustrated by reality, the melody makes people feel her helplessness and sadness, alluding to her struggle between ideals and reality.

And the Spring Comes combines the music and the story, promotes the development of the story and depicts the inner contradictions of the characters. Firstly, the music highlights the personality of Wang Cailing and her continuous pursuit of opera art. At the beginning of the film, Wang Cailing's opera "late spring" is playing on the loudspeaker. The director introduces Wang's work and dreams to the audience with "late spring", which defines the theme of the film. Spring is a symbol of hope, and the song implies that the protagonist Wang Cailing is full of hope for her dreams. Secondly, the music depicts Wang Cailing's dissatisfaction with the reality and helplessness. The film reinforces this emotional experience with sad and somber lyrics, revealing the huge gap between the reality and the ideal of art.

What’s more, both films contain the use of visual elements, which imply the development of the story, enhance the theme of the film, and guide the audience to feel the unique artistic charm of the film.

From the perspective of color, in Mona Lisa Smile, the warm and cold colors are well combined. Catherine listens with rapture as the students discuss their views on the Mona Lisa in class. The dazzling sunlight penetrates the glass and shines all over the classroom. Here the film uses the symbolic method: the brilliant sunshine represents the light of knowledge and independent personality, shining on this group of new women seeking knowledge. It's like Catherine bringing hope to everyone.

Additionally, And the Spring Comes in the camera language is very rich, a variety of shots with each other to create the film atmosphere. The collocation of different lens shows the twists and turns of the Wang's way of pursuing her dream. In the section of Huang Sibao and Wang Cailing taking a train to Beijing, the director uses a long shot to show the train coming quickly from a distance. At the end of the film, Wang Cailing's imaginary sings in the grand theater. The director takes a long and medium shot to close-up of her face, showing Wang's difficulties in pursuing her dream and the helpless fact that she finally gives in to the real life after all kinds of disillusionment.

In summary, these two films are of great educational significance in the pursuit of self and ideal. Therefore, I think you might as well try it if you have time.

Post by 1119644748 »

Reflect

1.What were your expectations for the border-crossing activity? Are your expectations met? Why or why not?
Before this activity, my expectation is to understand how the themes of the two films are understood from the perspective of American students, and also to understand the writing style and writing technique of students who speak English as their native language. I think my expectations were met because I read Rachel and Timothy's articles and got a general idea of how they felt about the two films in their cultural context.

2.Please name three things that struck you most when you interacted with the Chinese peers, and explain why. (You may comment on the differences and/or similarities in lexical choice, writing style, idea presentation, rhetorical preference, cultural convention etc.)
In the process of communication, there are a few impressive points for me.
First of all, there is Rachel's question about tenses, which we didn't pay much attention to in our article, and which is often overlooked in our daily writing.
Secondly, in terms of the style of articles, Chinese students' articles tend to be perceptual on the whole. For example, I have read the article of Zhou Yang and Li Simin, who, based on the movie, make an analogy between the free female thought and the image of "wind", which I think is very novel. However, American students' articles are more rational. Their articles are based on the movie itself, which is closely related to the real background.
In addition, what impresses me is that the two films deal with the status and rights of women in different times and different environments. We learned about the status of American women in the 1960s in Rachel's reply.

3.Did you incorporate what had been discussed into the revised draft? If so, please elaborate on how the discussion had led to the revisions you made. If not, please explain why.
In the revision of the article, we fully considered the suggestions of our partners. The first correction was a memory error on the details of the film: "Wang's dream is to sing in the Paris Opera House instead of the Roman Opera House".
Next, we modified the tenses in the article. In addition, we have added the educational significance of the two films and the description of the social background and cultural environment of the two women. We think it makes sense to highlight the subject of our article.
As for the suggestion of adding the example of "Wang's neighbor", we decided to discard it after discussion, and we thought adding the main points of the article was not clear enough.

4.Do you think the activity is beneficial to you in terms of knowledge gains or skill enhancement? If so, please elaborate. If not, please explain why.
I think the activity is beneficial to you in terms of knowledge gains or skill enhancement. Firstly, I learn that verbs are used in present tense when talking about a movie, book, or any fiction piece, which is a grammar I never knew before. Secondly, I talked with American students about the cultural differences between China and the United States. It not only enriched my historical knowledge, but also made me deeply understand the background culture of the film, which made my articles more profound. What’s more, this activity made me more open and organized, and made me realize that to analyze things from different angles, I could find more surprises.

7. Could you provide three adjectives to describe your feelings about the activity? Please explain your choice.
Exciting. I was excited about doing this project since I first heard about it in the beginning of the semester. I have never done an activity like this before and thought it would be exciting to work with students from America.
Interesting. When others point out my mistakes, I can see things from another perspective which will enrich my thoughts and expand my thinking.
Regretful. Our group should have been two American students. But only one American student replied. If another American student joined more actively, we would gain more knowledge and experience.

8.Any additional comments, suggestions, and observations you would like to make to better help us assess your performance in this activity?
In general, I especially like the freshness and skill improvement brought by this activity. I suggest that in order to increase motivation, each response should be completed within 48 hours. Also, you can give us the WeChat of American students before the activity, so that we can know each other in advance. In this way, we won't be too nervous, and the details of the article can be expressed more smoothly. This transoceanic interaction is of great significance to my study.