24 - Chasing Your Own Dreams

Kristina B., Grace L., Ziang H., and Shuangshuang K.
Ziang H.

24 - Chasing Your Own Dreams

Post by Ziang H. »

Last week, I saw two movies, And the Spring Comes and Mona Lisa Smile. Although they are from two different countries, China and America, they have something in common and both astonish me a lot.

Let’s talk about And the Spring Comes first. Living in a small town in China, Wang Cailing was a vocal teacher and had an amazing dream, being an opera singer at the National Opera House. She still lived alone and was regarded as a strange and ridiculous woman. After experiencing lots of failure both in career and love, she gradually discovered that it was not bad to lead the life as an ordinary person. Finally, she reached a compromise with reality in her own way.

Katherine was an art teacher at Wellesley College, a conservative women’s private liberal college. There were too many conventional rules and thoughts here. Students gained knowledge just for the purpose of marriage. Katherine encouraged her students to be independent and achieve more than marriage. For example, Joan dreamed of being a lawyer so Katherine encouraged her to apply for Yale Law School. However, she gave up because she wanted to live with her new husband. What made Katherine more disappointed was that almost everyone including the headmaster disagreed with her.

Katherine chose to leave and explore Europe. She insisted on her own dream.

As far as I’m concerned, the two movies both discuss on dreams, but the ends are entirely different. Wang Cailing finally gave up her dream, while Katherine always insisted on herself. I support Katherine, but I think she should also make some changes.

Being young, we all had the dream like flying to the moon. They are beautiful and romantic. However, as an ordinary person, it is desperately difficult for me to achieve the dream due to many limited conditions. Therefore, we should make a balance between reality and dreams. In other words, if you want to set a goal in life, you’d better have enough confidence in yourself that you own relative abilities and conditions to achieve it.
Wang Cailing sang well, but her conditions decided that it was nearly impossible for her to enter National Opera House. Her unattractive appearance and her poor living conditions both made her not popular all the time. Under Chinese social circumstance, a poor woman living alone was usually looked down upon and treated badly. The situation was cruel but nobody could change it. So it was only disappointment that she would face to. After all, her dream was too far away from her life. As for Katherine, it was quite different. Her educational background and the trend of American social development meant that it was possible for her to chase for freedom belonging to women. In 1960s, the United States was carrying a movement aiming at women’s liberation. In a way, Katherine followed the social current.

At the same time, Katherine had a slightly extreme thought, I think. Actually, many people can keep a balance between career and family. Why not? She did believe that if you got married, you would lose everything and be ordinary. I don’t agree.

In a word, we don’t have to reach a compromise with the world, but when we are setting goals and chasing our own dreams, we should take the reality into consideration. After you set the goal, just stop hesitating and go for it. Hold on!
Shuangshuang K.

Re: 24 - Chasing Your Own Dreams

Post by Shuangshuang K. »

Hi Ziang,
I have several suggestions for you about the writing structure and content.
Firstly, it is better to avoid some casual oral expressions and slogan-like sentences in formal writing, such as “I don’t agree” and “Hold on!”.
Secondly, though it is not obligatory to strictly follow the “opinion—analysis—conclusion” format, it’s still applausive to clearly state your central argument at the beginning or in the first few paragraphs then to allocate your writing resources around your theme. This may help you to organize your writing in a clearer and better way.

Your introduction to the two movies in the second and third paragraph is concise but fairly precise as well. It is hard for me to summarize or synthesize a story, a report or else, but you did a good job. ;) ;)
Kristina B.

Post by Kristina B. »

Hey Ziang,

I think your essay is an easy read, but that is primarily because it is so informal. As a woman who gets distracted easily, I appreciate this stream-of-thought style of writing. That being said, I do not think it is what people are looking for out of a formal essay.
Organizing is key, I would try grouping your paragraphs based off of content (for instance, your analyzation of Wang Cailing might benefit being closer in proximity on the page to your paragraph on Katherine). By doing this you set the reader up with all the needed data on both characters before going into how you think their situations affect them and what the movie says about our own lives.
Which, by the way, I love that you can connect what you saw in both movies to our childhood experiences. I would like to hear more of your thoughts about the balance you were talking about before: in your opinion what should the relationship between dreams and reality be?
Ziang H.

Re: Shuangshuang K.

Post by Ziang H. »

Firstly, I would like to apologize for my delay. I haven't replied to you in time. As far as I'm concerned, your advice exactly points out my problem. I have to say that I payed little attention to the type of writing. While I was writing the article, I only regarded it as an essay but not an article.
However, there is one thing that I don't entirely agree with you. My title is "Chasing Your Own Dreams". At the end of the article, I can use some slogan-like sentences to give the readers encouragement. I end up the article with strength. It can have a special effect. But actually, I'm not sure whether it's suitable to use "Hold On" in a formal writing. Will there be any conflict between the slogan-like sentences and the style of the article? I'm not very sure. Can you give me some explanations?
Shuangshuang K.

Ziang,
For the first suggestion I gave you in the previous post, I meant in formal writing it is not appropriate to use slogan-like sentences. It makes your writing even less formal considering this is a serious assignment. It is more acceptable to use slogans in public speech, for example. If you transform your article to a speech, you might use these sentences to "give your audience encouragement".
I would like to know, as Kristina pointed out in her post, that how you deal with the relationship between dreams and reality? To what extent do you think a dream is unrealistic enough for one to give up? To name a few real-life circumstances, If I am personally very interested in make-up and fashion and I dream of being a Youtuber who frequently uploads make-up sharings and life videos on Youtube. But I also think I'm not physically attractive enough and skillful enough in make-up. Do you think I should have a try or give up since it's a bit unrealistic?
Or, if i'm eager to further my studies to purse doctor's degree, but it would put economic burden on my parents and they apparently want me to get married soon. Should I insist on pursuing a degree or bend down to the reality?
Shuangshuang K.

Hey Ziang,
Since the deadline of this overseas activity is approaching, I would like to thank you for sharing your writing with us and posting a patient reply to me. Though I haven't heard from you for a while and had my questions unanswered, I assumed that you might be very busy preparing for your exams or papers or something urgent. Anyway, feel free to answer my questions or simply discuss with me at any time if you want. Best wishes!

Shuangshuang K.
Ziang H.

Post by Ziang H. »

Hello Shuangshuang,
Yeah, your reply does develop my interest. Actually, the relationship between our dreams and social reality is always a topic that will be discussed forever.
By the way, I fully understand your suggestions about the slogan-like sentences through your concrete explanation. Now, let’s come to the discussion on dreams.
As far as I’m concerned, dreams cannot be given up easily even though they are a bit unrealistic. You have given me two examples. One is about being a Youtuber, another one is about pursing a degree. The two dreams should be insisted, I think. Why?
Many ordinary people have become a successful Youtuber. As we all know, Youtube is a famous international video website, which is a platform for people all over the world. It provides everyone with the opportunity to show ourselves. Therefore, through our own effort, we can achieve my dream, although you are only an ordinary people.
Then, what is called an unrealistic dream that should be given up? If you set a goal, announcing that you will have as many fans as Trump does, it will be nearly impossible to achieve it.
The next example is about further studies. If you continue your study, you may put economic burden on your parents. Also, there will be other disadvantages that you should face with. However, that doesn’t mean it is impossible to realize your dream. It only means you should make a decision. Once you want to chase your dream, it is unavoidable to make choices and give up something else.
Generally speaking, the environment and conditions can sometimes limit our goals, but they are not the reasons for giving up. After all, we can overcome some difficulties through our own efforts.

by Ziang Hong
Ziang H.

Post by Ziang H. »

Last week, I saw two movies, And the Spring Comes and Mona Lisa Smile. Although they are from two different countries, China and America, they have something in common and both astonish me a lot, especially the thinking of dreams and reality.

Firstly, I saw And the Spring Comes, going through the movie plot. Living in a small town in China, Wang Cailing was a vocal teacher and had an amazing dream, being an opera singer at the National Opera House. At the age of more than 35, she still lived alone and was regarded as a strange and ridiculous woman. After experiencing lots of failure both in career and love, she gradually discovered that it was not bad to lead the life as an ordinary person. Finally, she reached a compromise with reality in her own way.

Next, it comes to Mona Lisa Smile. Katherine was an art teacher at Wellesley College, a conservative women's private liberal college. There were too many conventional rules and thoughts here. Students gained knowledge just for the purpose of marriage. Katherine encouraged her students to be independent and achieve more than marriage. For example, Joan dreamed of being a lawyer so Katherine encouraged her to apply for Yale Law School. However, she gave up because she wanted to live with her new husband. What made Katherine more disappointed was that almost everyone including the headmaster disagreed with her.

Katherine chose to leave and explore Europe. She insisted on her own dream.

As far as I'm concerned, the two movies both discuss on dreams, but the endings are entirely different. Wang Cailing finally gave up her dream, but Katherine always insisted on herself. I tend to reach an agreement with Katherine's thoughts, but I think she should also make some necessary changes.

In our childhood, we all had the dreams like flying to the moon, which are beautiful and romantic. However, as an ordinary citizen, it is desperately difficult for us to achieve the dream due to so many limiting factors, which cannot be overcome. Therefore, we should keep a balance between reality and dreams. In other words, if you want to set a goal in life, you'd better make scientific prediction about the possibilities of achieving the dream under current conditions.

Wang Cailing sang well, but her conditions decided that it was nearly impossible for her to enter National Opera House. Her unattractive appearance and her poor living conditions both made her not popular all the time. Under Chinese social circumstance, a poor woman living alone was usually looked down upon and treated badly. The situation was cruel but she could not easily change it. In a word, she didn't have any strength to fight against the hash reality.Therefore, it was only disappointment that she would face to. After all, her dream was too far away from her life. As for Katherine, it was quite different. Her educational background and the trend of American social development meant that it was possible for her to chase for freedom belonging to women. In 1960s, the United States was carrying a movement aiming at women's liberation. In a way, Katherine followed the social current.

At the same time, Katherine had a slightly extreme thought, I think. Actually, many people can keep a balance between career and family. However, she did believe that if you got married, you would lose everything and be ordinary. The thought is so extreme that I could hardly accept it.

It is worth mentioning that to keep a balance between dreams and reality isn't an excuse for being lazy and living a mundane life. The hash reality could probably have some limitations of our dreams, but it by no means was an excuse for no effort. For example, to be an astronomer, there are some physical fitness requirements, which are impossible for most of the people to meet. However, if you can meet these requirements, you can bravely have a dream of being an astronomer. You can achieve it through your own effort, though the training process is extremely hard and dangerous.

Concerning about the reality never means giving up chasing dreams easily.

In a word, we don't have to reach a compromise with the world, but when we are setting goals and chasing our own dreams, we should take the reality into consideration. If it is feasible to achieve the dreams through our own effort, just set the goal and stop hesitating, going for the dreams forward.